Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Battery box

I'm about to go solar and need a place to put more batteries. My bus' originally battery compartment has two massive starting batteries and space for the one deep cycle battery we already have. Funny thing, they're the exact same dimensions. I need another box to put an additional three deep cycle batteries, 12" high, 13" long, and 7" wide. I know it needs to be vented, and I'd like to just purchase some kind of used metal box that I could add vents to and bolt directly to the frame of the bus. (No welding capability in our current location.)

Has anyone else built their own battery box? What did you do?

Another question: could I replace my starting batteries with deep cycle and just crank the bus off the house bank?

Old 07-20-2016, 09:41 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Deep cycle batteries are not designed to provide the high amps needed to start an engine. You might manage it a few times ... it will more or less kill the batteries quickly over time.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:46 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Yeah I kinda figured that would be an issue. It would just be so nice to use that space. Our door mechanism and inside lights are both wired to the starting batteries. I wonder if I wired them both to the house bank if I could get away with only having 1 starting battery, or if the bus required more CCA than the single battery can put out.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:32 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Rated Cap: 14
One battery might start it sometimes. Cold weather? A few months of age on the battery? Forget it.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Rated Cap: 36
A DT360? I expect it'll start just fine with one 8D battery. I downgraded my T444e from 2 batteries to one high capacity group 31 battery. No problems, even in Northern Ontario winter. I did draw that battery down once when I didn't realize that the glow plug relay wasn't working, but I was able to easily boost it off of the 3 deep cycle house batteries without a hitch. All good. That DT360 isn't likely to be any more difficult to turn over than my T444e.

How about a test? Throw a single battery in the freezer for a night then try to start the engine off of it in the morning and see how it does! Mind you, the engine won't be providing the resistance it would if the oil was cold, but it should give some sort of idea.

As a note for you folks that have glow plugs: if the relay dies you can (almost) safely cycle the glow plugs with a screw driver across the relay contacts. Just keep your fingers off of the metal. You aren't likely to get shocked, but it can get hot to the touch. Worked for me for a couple weeks!
Old 07-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
I have seen A/C electrical boxes used for battery storage. I have one I'm going to use for my jack and tire changing tools. Look at grainger or any electrical supply house.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
Bus Nut

My dad wants to know if I can find a battery box like the one I already have at a bus junk yard. I'll have to take a look at mine and see how removable it is. Does anyone else have a type of bus with a removable battery box? (Not necessarily made to remove but as in "not welded on")
Old 07-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I'm gonna test it out with one starting battery since we have the generator to recharge it. It would be great if I can just use one (they're from 2012 anyway so I'm due for a new one in the next year) and then if we ever have trouble in cold weather we can supplement with the deep cycle. We rarely go anywhere with cold weather though, and when we are in cold weather we're parked and don't need to start the engine.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
ONE group 31 started my DT466 in Kentucky in 10* winter. There were icicles IN the bus and on it, and the bus had been sitting for a few months unused.
I think you'll be fine.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:46 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenationundergoat View Post
I'm about to go solar and need a place to put more batteries. My bus' originally battery compartment has two massive starting batteries and space for the one deep cycle battery we already have. Funny thing, they're the exact same dimensions. I need another box to put an additional three deep cycle batteries, 12" high, 13" long, and 7" wide. I know it needs to be vented, and I'd like to just purchase some kind of used metal box that I could add vents to and bolt directly to the frame of the bus. (No welding capability in our current location.)

Has anyone else built their own battery box? What did you do?

Another question: could I replace my starting batteries with deep cycle and just crank the bus off the house bank?
Call me crazy any time you want but I have thought about using some old pickup truck rail boxes (I call them saddlebags) they are weather tight to a point,hinged and shocks on the lids.
I have access to some aluminum treaded 6' ones that with proper framing could be bolted to the frame and underside rib framing.
They are lockable if organized properly.
And for a battery box the only other thing needed is some plywood to sit the batteries on.
Just an idea but if I go this route I want the lids to fold down so anything pulled out doesn't have to go all the way to the ground and I don't have to try to look under the lid to find something or hold it up cause the shocks can't.
you can look for the steel ones on fleabay so you can clean and paint to match cause I doubt my aluminum ones will stick to the paint idea?
But an old saddlebag some angle iron a drill and bolts?
An idea?2cent either way.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

First-I love the creative folks on this site. If there is a way, someone on here will find it. I found my "extra" battery box @ one of my suppliers (beat up under body toolbox from a flatbed) The point is keep looking and you'll find one-it may not look like a battery box but you can make it work. Necessity and mothers and all that-I'm also lucky enough to have a local weekly auction-if you're patient it will show up. Good luck!
marctheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
For starting batteries you could pull out your 8d's & in the spot where 1 8d sits put two AGM batteries for 2000 cca's & put 2 other AGM's for you solar in the other 8d spot, I also had 2 8d for my bus but it starts just fine on 1,havn't had to try it on cold weather yet tho≥
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Batteries for house use

Here I ga again posting stuff from a Sailing book but why reinvent the wheel .
Many long term sailors have already worked out many of the issues that can come up in a school bus .

Sailboats can find themselves in some rather isolated spots so have learned to setup their equipment correctly to hopefully avoid serious problem's .

Monthly Maintenance: All Charged Up | Cruising World

there are many articles there also on wiring requirements crimp-on vs solder how to chose which batteries sizing estimates dealing with diesel motors gen-sets .