Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolie_n00bie View Post
Oh I'm not knocking Sean's budget one bit! If I could, I would, too! [emoji12] [emoji385] [emoji385] [emoji385] [emoji385] [emoji385] and make it rain, up in heah!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Oh, believe me, I KNOW! ME TOO!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
In any case, if I may from my noobster point of view: I love building stuff. I've loved Lego's since i was a little kid. Been taking electronics and toys apart since I could hold a screwdriver....not always with good results, but you gotta try, right?

To me, IKEA is the most fun ;) second to Lowes or home depot. Been wanting to build my tool collection, and with the bus project, I have the perfect excuse.

Already bought a grinder, used it, and lost no fingers!!!!
Long story short: worth it so far

skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Five Grand builds nothing in my world.

30 to 50 grand is my projection by the time it's done. All depends on how far I take the solar, ect.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #24
Bus Geek

;)I'd have popped for that riveter then, if you got that kinda budget...
just sayin.
Is that figure materials and paying workers?
Old 02-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
;)I'd have popped for that riveter then, if you got that kinda budget...
just sayin.
Is that figure materials and paying workers?
Material only.

It takes what it takes. No matter how long it takes.

The money isn't sitting in the bank waiting, I make it on a annual basis.

I like the bolts better. I can test fit, remove, ect. No rivets thx.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 02-04-2015, 08:27 AM   #26
Bus Geek

So your bus will be even more, since you have "employees" working on it too.

I just don't see how in the hell you can be spending that kind of coin on materials alone!
Are you going with the gold plated bath fixtures like Al Gore's private jet? ;)
Old 02-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
So your bus will be even more, since you have "employees" working on it too.

I just don't see how in the hell you can be spending that kind of coin on materials alone!
Are you going with the gold plated bath fixtures like Al Gore's private jet? ;)
I don't pay my employee's anything but food when they work on privet projects. Likewize, I don't charge them my time for fixing their cars, ect.

Start adding up material. I have $2500 in windows alone.

Windshield will be over $1000

Bus $2500

Spray foam $5000

Rigid Styrofoam $3000

Steel for skinning and sub floor $1200

Radiant heat plates for floor. $500

High efficiency propane hot water heater for radiant floor heating. $4000

Custom built wood stove $1500

Leveling jacks $600

Shop costs for bending and sheering metal $1500 so far.

Incinerating toilet $2500

Water tanks $1000

$1200 for FRP for the interior.

$6500 for the inverter

I still have the belly storage boxes to build. $5000 ?

Solar $10,000 ?

10 kw lithium ion battery bank $5 to $10,000

Roof and passenger side deck $5000

LED lighting for interior and driving lights $2500 or more.

I live in the real world where nothing is free, and almost nothing is cheap.

After this is done, I will no longer have to pay any utility bills.

The bus will pay for it's self in 12 years or less.

Nat

Old 02-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Are you suggesting that I don't live in the real world?
I find cheap and free stuff all the time. I'm not saying to build your bus/home out of it though.
I think you're grossly overestimating a whole lot of that, but to each their own. Opinions always vary.
I'm enjoying watching your build...
Old 02-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
I think you're grossly overestimating a whole lot of that, but to each their own.
One thing to rememeber, if memory serves me right Nat lives in Alaska. things are a LOT more expensive there than in the lower 48.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #30
Bus Geek

I'd imagine they are.
A friend just moved here from Fairbanks. He said its cheap here compared to there.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:59 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

NAT lives in Canada...where winter is 6 months long (not counting mud season ) :/
If he did live in Alaska at least then he could collect a dividend check $$$$
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Are you suggesting that I don't live in the real world?
I find cheap and free stuff all the time. I'm not saying to build your bus/home out of it though.
I think you're grossly overestimating a whole lot of that, but to each their own. Opinions always vary.
I'm enjoying watching your build...
No, I'm not suggesting anything. You live in the real world, Just a different one than me.

I also come across many cheap and free materials being in the type of work I am. However, I'm really picky and only use the best in this build. No just good enough, or just make it work for me.

Time, using sub standard or used material is not economical for me. My time is worth enough per hour, it's not worth it for me to mess with used material.

Sadly, I still under estimated the costs. I never added the hundreds of dollars in paint, and other little things that add up big. Thing's always cost more than we think. Remember, I'm a contractor. Calculating cost's of builds is part of what I do.

Yes I live in Canada, half way to Alaska.

It's worse here in Canada than Alaska for a few reasons.

Tax. Everything I can't get here that comes from the lower 48, they charge me 18% tax.

The difference of the Canadian dollar vs the American dollar. To make this worse, the credit card company's charge me 3 cent per dollar just to make the transaction.

Shipping is out of this world.

Less competition of the suppliers = much higher cost.

Nat

Old 02-06-2015, 03:32 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Hey there, before heading into a rant on the topic you've put forth let me answer your questions directly and then give some general thoughts, that are unique to me (and everyone will have their own).

How long did it take?

It will take me twice as long as I'd like. I've had spurts of motivation, time, and mental energy. When things progress, they feel like they really progressing and it makes for even more momentum. When you aren't doing anything, the bus project / dream are easy to put on the back burner. Sometimes simply talking about it to your friends may seem like its more a reality than it is, but it is not true. Doing work (not research) will create more work and get the job done. Just f%$*#'n do it.

What did it ultimately end up costing you?

My budget is about $10k. I think I will get to about $12k or $13k. This can vary widely if you're able to do work yourself or not, having the tools, and of course how complicated/simple you make the build out to be.

Would you do it again, given the choice to do so?

No, I don't think I would. But, I knew this going in and that's part of the reason why I'm doing it. I'm creating my first home, one that will last me until I absolutely need to change my lifestyle.

What was the most surprising thing that happened while doing the work?

Ha! Umm, everything. I have two motto's with the bus. One is that change or the unknown is a certainty. I don't believe in "security", the only security I know to be true is that there is always insecurity, some call this "change", but insecurity is the only reality. So, my point is that there will be nothing but surprises, things you didn't know before that come up, and obstacles that will need your attention. Your will be unique to you and you should expect it.

This leads me into my second motto. "Rely on your F#&%k'n Self! I have to constantly remind myself of this, because I know that I can learn, grow, and progress the bus project if I continue to learn for myself, trust myself, and just try expecting to make mistakes. This is, of course, part of the journey and fun. Leave it up to the RV folks who want the easy life with no character ;). This motto progresses the bus to keep momentum up while at the same time helping me to realize exactly what I need to tap my friends for or paying a contractor.

Do you live in it full-time, part-time, or just vacation in it?

I'll be living in the bus by the end of this month. It will be rough'n it, but I'll make it sexy as I live in it and test it out. It's been painted, I have water hooked up, I have propane fridge, stove, and water heater, I have a composting toilet. All the other sexy details will come in after a couple months of living in it.

My relatively sage advice is to continue to expect the criticisms and then ignore them. Say thank you, and use it as motivation to enjoy your life however you'd like and not have to live theirs or what most people in society default to. The default, typically, is more like a puppet on strings and those people will always have something critical to say. I think this is why everyone is so helpful and nice on this forum.. we've all enjoyed some deep love and pain throughout our builds and whether it is "successful" or not, experiencing those depths of emotions is what life is all about!

Quick story:
I was once at a dinner party with a few women that seemed fancy. My best friend brought up my bus and was excited to hear me talk about it. A bit reluctantly I started to detail the plans and motivations (knowing that I'd have to deflect some small* criticism, boy was I wrong), and I of course got really into talking about it. As I surveyed faces, everyone was smiling and curious.. everyone except one girl. Her face looked liked she had just been pooped on (without having the fetish for it)... and I'd never experienced such disgust when explaining how plumbing, propane, and (oh boy) the composting toilet would work. You would have thought that I completely disrespected her entire world, maybe I did(?). She asked question after question that challenged my whole lifestyle, I smiled and answered politely (her attitude quickly became comical). Needless to say, the smile we exchanged from across the room earlier that night, which might have said "hey I think you're cute and we should make out", was now a massive frown - and I thanked my bus for being the best filter ever(!!) for my future girlfriend.

the end (and beginning)
grit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Having a girl, or guy if thats what you're into, that's willing to live in a bus is priceless!
Old 02-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Having a girl, or guy if thats what you're into, that's willing to live in a bus is priceless!
X2

I got mine.

Nat

Old 02-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

We're fully committed to this; it's gonna take more time and money than we expect, I'm sure, but we're in it for the long haul. It's been pretty bitterly cold around here the past two weeks, and when you factor in that he's got a full-time job (and his dad's been tapping his help to get a vehicle fixed for inspection), and I've got three kids under five to mind, time to start on this has been hard to come by lately.

BUT! Tax return's coming (money money money, haha ;) ). We've got friends coming over today to help start the "demolition" phase. Also, another couple we're friends with are pretty pumped about the skoolie idea, and are willing to help us as often as they can so they get some hands-on experience to possibly do the same for themselves in a year or two. The bus is in hand, Nate's got most of the tools he needs for the project already (and lots of materials, too), and we're learning as much as we can about DIY-ing pretty much all of it to save coin. We agreed when we decided to buy the bus that this wouldn't be our folly; the skoolie is gonna be more than just a hobby or a fun toy. Eventually it'll be our home. That alone is motivation to push through.

The criticism we got didn't make us any less sure about doing this. I simply tried to use it positively, and examine more closely what we've really gotten ourselves into. You could tell me that you sweat blood every day you worked on your bus, and we'd probably just say, "Okay, we can expect to sweat blood while doing this. Better stock up on club soda for the laundry. Check."
true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Anyway, all that said, everybody's been really helpful on this topic. This forum's a gold mine.
true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Agree 1000%, true! Time is probably the most precious of currencies these days....starting on the outside letters today!

skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #39
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbrass View Post
I have had 100% positive comments from everyone who has seen it. In fact I have a TV station coming this week to film it! I am expecting it will take 4 months weekend and evening work and cost £15000 ($25000)
Think about using a rear view camera out the front passenger side so when you pull out to pass you can see before it's too late
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
mine has taken 5ish years. great project, fun, cool all of the above....but a money pit. was planing on maybe 5k for the conversion, but everything costs more than you think. i am pushing $4-5k/yr into the bus conversion. $20k+ so far. adding an inverter will push it over $25k.
hindsight shows it would have been cheaper to buy someone else's but..... its mine would i do it again? i want too, but i learned my lesson.