Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: genesis
Chassis: international harvester
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
beds

What size bed are you using, need to use a queen size, if you are using a queen size bed are you using the box spring also or just the mattress

dieselman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24
Re: beds

I put a Wal-Mart Queen size "bed in a box" in my bus. It's a 2 piece foam mattress- I think 3" memory foam on 5" open cell foam, in a dense fabric case. Only used it for one month so far, but the wife and I both really like it. They come in different sizes. Decent foam mattresses tend to be a bit heavy for their size. Using both mattress and box springs will take up space- I built a hinged platform, with storage under the bed. This is pretty common; using both matt/springs you'll either be higher up, or have less storage underneath.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

I am in agreement that both box spring and mattress take up too much space. I built a futon into the back of mine and built a full-size bunkbed above that, so in that small space in the back I can sleep four people. The space beneath the futon is where I store tools, extra chairs and firewood. The storage space is accessible from the rear door, and from inside the bus through an access hatch I built in. It works pretty good. And when I don't need all that sleeping room, the futon is in the upright position and offers seating for three.

-Adam
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

I built 2 couches and the frames fold into a bed, king size, with storage underneath. We put a memory foam mattress topper on it and when we stay for more than a couple of days an egg crate on top of that, it sleeps great. The foam in the couch cushions is 38# per sq in and is WAY too hard to sleep on but just right to sit on. You might want to think about not having a mattress in the way all the time, something that folds out of the way is much more user friendly and gives you a lot more space to work with. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote