Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via Yahoo to crispyx
Belt driven Generators

Does anyone have experience with these? Since our conversion is more for touring and being comfortable on long drives I'm thinking about going with a generator in the engine to run appliances and computers while on the road. I expect once at our destination if we're staying in the bus we'll be looking for campgrounds where we can plug in.

crispyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I always wanted to get an AuraGen but they have to be installed and programmed by the manufacturer and they are pretty expensive.

http://www.aurasystems.com/pages/AuraGe ... enHome.htm
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via Yahoo to crispyx
I was looking at this one http://www.raventechpower.com but the Auragen looks pretty nice too.
crispyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I don't see a price, but it looks interesting. They talk about running it off a PTO, but then they say it's mounted underhood on that Ford so I don't know which way it operates. Belt driven would obviously be better for the bus application as I have yet to see a bus with a power take off though the Allison's do have the provisions for them. With that gennie, a 3:1 ratio would be ideal I think. You'd have to go over 3333 RPMs to overspeed it while a 1000 rpm high idle would give you the 3000 rpm at the gennie required.

Northern Tool sells a similar output gennie head that might work in the same application for $400 http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6970_9040_9040

I don't see any minimum or maximum speeds listed though which could come into play. It also wouldn't include a clutch to disengage it. While an AC compressor type pulley clutch would work great on it, I'm not sure how well you could adapt it to this use. It is worth looking into though given the price. Perhaps a call to Northern could answer the questions as to feasibility of one of those gennie heads under hood.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Belt driven Generators

the frequency at rpm is determined by the number of poles in a generator. (alternator) a 3600 rpm generator has 2 poles an 1800 rpm generator has 4 poles etc. A generator, at the leads makes dc, an alternator at the leads makes ac. That's why you need diodes in the circuit with your alternator to charge your start battery. I would think that if the rpm is not going to be constant dc inverted to ac would be the way to go. Just my opinion though.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Belt driven Generators

What the heck was I thinkin', I have a 5kw coleman welded to my back bumper. It runs great while toolin' down the road. But then again that's something else to pour fuel into.
Just thinkin' out loud.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote