Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: C8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Best Bus For Slide-Out...Pusher or Puller ?

I have been trying to figure out which bus I need to save up for and have been searching/reading this forum a great deal. You guys have been a great resource, but I still have some questions I haven't been able to answer.

I plan on going over the deep end on my conversion with a LARGE slide-out. My biggest concern is the distance between the wheel wells inside to inside on a pusher, and the distance between the back of the driving compartment and the front of the rear well on a puller. This will determine the max. width of the slide-out.

After looking at pics till my eyes bleed, it appears as though the wheel base is independent of the overall length. From what I can tell, the longer buses simply have a bigger overhang...is this correct ?

If you guys could give me an idea of well-to-well distance for a pusher, and the back of seat-to-well of a puller I will name my next male child after you .

And yes, I realize the engineering challenges of maintaining the structural integrity while cutting such a large hole in the side. Think steel beams and torsion spars.

Though not my cup of tea, this guy really opened my eyes as to what is possible thinking outside the box...

CaseyBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #2

Oh i soooo loved their bus...can we build ours over in England too? Just think of the ambiance factor! in regards to your ???'s about the pusher/puller dilemma, I suggest rereading Dr. Doolittle's book just to give you a different perspective... ~
AngieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
A rear engine bus will always have the rear axle closer to the back due to the weight of the engine. Therefore it will have the most distance between the wheels.

Front engine buses have massive overhangs to compensate for the weight of the engine in the front. Therefore front engine buses will always have less distance between the wheel wells.

Rear engine buses are built on heavy duty truck chassis, where front engine buses are only medium duty truck chassis. The rear engine bus will have a stronger frame, bigger axles, larger engine, and far more load carrying capacity.

A rear engine bus will be best for your intended purpose.

Here is a member that is building three slide outs.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/98...outs-9728.html

Here is a thread I started to discuss slide outs.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/ho...outs-9144.html

I live, breathe, drive, and work on school buses. I will be happy to answer detailed questions.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you nat_ster for the info. I will definitely be studying those threads tonight.

After much reading on this forum I think I'm homing in on my bus. Currently (subject to change) I believe I want a 36' RE with either a Cummins 8.3 or International DT466 engine and either a MD3060 or MT643 tranny. I need to pull up mountain passes and would like to cruise at 65. Pulling the pass is more important than top speed.

Does a known bus come to mind with those requirements ? What would be the inside distance of the wheel wells ?

Thanx in advance,
Casey
Old 10-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Most RE buses here are 37 to 40 feet.

Get the longest bus you can if you want room between the wheel wells for a slide out.

I will get you some measurements tomorrow. At work I have around 100 RE buses to measure, ranging from about 1996 to 2014's.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 10-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

"I will get you some measurements tomorrow"

Fantastic!! Thank you!!
Since you have so many choices, a '92-98' would be what I'm looking for.

Thanx again.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:53 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyBrown View Post
"I will get you some measurements tomorrow"

Fantastic!! Thank you!!
Since you have so many choices, a '92-98' would be what I'm looking for.

Thanx again.
Blue bird RE 92 to 2001, TC2000 39 feet have 19 foot, 6 inches between the the inner edges of the wheel wells. 10 foot overhang from the center of the rear axle to the back of the bumper.

Thomas of the same year and size are 21 foot 6 inches, with a 9 foot overhang.

I would never do a slide longer than 10 feet myself. Just too far of separation to have a strong structure.

However two 9 footers over that length would be nice.

Nat

Old 10-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you Nat,

It's very much appreciated.

Casey