Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #1

best starting platform

I've searched and searched. What is the best platform, overall for starting a conversion? I'm looking at mid to late 90's buses. I personally like the conventional style buses with international dta466 motor. I like them because you can open the hood and the motor is right there should anything need to be fixed. What are the advantages of RE or flat front cab overs, and how accessible are the motors to work on. I have my pick of all these buses http://www.newyorkbussales.com/pages/usedbus.cfm I live about 10 miles from there and all the prices are reasonable. the first bus on the list is 1100.00

budd0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: best starting platform

Did you call to get the prices? How much are they asking for the 97-98 Blue Bird/Intls with the T444E/5sp/air combo?

To answer your question, DT466 is a great engine. Conventionals do have the best engine access. REs are decent, but many mechanics hate FEs because of the limited access. When you find a bus that you think fits your needs, take a good look at it and try to picture working on the engine, driving it, etc. There's no "best" bus, it's about what works best for you.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #3

Yeah Ive called about the prices. I'm a class A driver and all I have driven are Conventional Trucks (pete's internationals, freightliners) I like the ease of access to the engine with a "normal" bus, But I like the look and feel of a RE flat nose.
budd0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65

My bus is a conventional. But before I bought it, I drove the school district's TC 2000. It drove alright but it was just weird...being out in front of the axle, making turns, dips in the road, etc all required some special thought. I only drove it the one time, but I certainly like my conventional better. I'm guessing that an RE would feel the same, only quieter!

Ben.
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
Bus Geek

rear engine buses have a lot of advantages....but one of the biggest drawbacks is that when trying to drive in places where there are crowds of people, the front of the bus is so whisper quiet that you can actually drive to within inches of a person who is not paying attention before they notice your bus. This never happens with a fe! I had my RE bus in a couple of parades, and this was a problem for me.