Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #1

Year: 1988
Best Window Tint?

Currently retrofitting a 1988 Ford B700 into a mobile grocery store, need good insulation! Planning on covering windows with a high reflective window tint, any suggestions on type or brand?

Thanks!

lowcountrystgrocery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
When I tinted the windows in my bus I was wary of paying good money for something that would turn purple and blister in just a few years' time... we've all seen how awful that looks in the back windows of "some car on the road."

I found my way into a few local window film dealers' shops and was introduced to Solar Gard. Solar heat rejection was my biggest concern and they had some demos with heat lamps that really sold me on it. Unfortunately their installed price was high and they wouldn't sell me film straight off the roll..... so I became a Solar Gard dealer and bought direct instead. I think it was the HP Smoke 35 I used in my first bus, which I've since sold, but I also used it in the front windows of my cars and even in a couple windows in the house. It's been about 4 years now; it still looks good and I still appreciate the difference it makes when sitting with the sun shining through the window.

Solar Gard's web site has a summary table of auto tint laws and a table of performance results you may find useful no matter what brand you choose.

In a mobile application "high reflectivity" may have a good chance of getting you into trouble. Consider also that a mobile grocery is commercial, and (I believe) tint laws are more restrictive for commercial vehicles. Looking at the solar heat rejection figures on Solar Gard's site I think you may be able to achieve your heat reduction goals without resorting to high reflectivity.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
And there is always the Solar Screen approach if you don't mind installing frames. I added this material on a few windows in my warehouse and can state absolutely that they work. I laid thermometers directly in sun coming through both a screened and un-screened window and there was about an 18 degree difference. Can't recall exactly what "shade" I used but it is available in various degrees of shading and this was one of the higher. And, you can open the windows without letting skeeters in.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #4

These are excellent answers, thanks so much guys! I'll look into it for sure
lowcountrystgrocery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
This is a good link of a project that involved a lot of research & top notch products that were used.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/jo...sion-8600.html
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Tell us more about this mobile grocery store.