Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2006, 01:27 PM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: SV396 V-8, International
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinCoughlin
If you are worried about lack of governage on a gas engine - you can change your ignition system. The MSD ignitions for off-roaders have rev limiters - basically it is so that you won't get into a piece of mud or ice and spin the motor up into the danger ranges on accident.

My international has a little electronic box the size of a cigarette package that keeps me from going over about 3600 rpm. I'll probably remove it once I change the ignition (since I'll have the ignition doing it for me).

A few hundred bucks, and you can have it solved - PLUS get more oomph from your bus!

Old 05-20-2006, 09:35 PM   #22

msd ignitions

I wasn't aware you could still get the old point conversion ignition systems.
That sounds very interesting. Probably won't happen this summer, but I was thinking I could always use the first governor I've ever seen till I can afford it. a block of wood on the floorboard!
I did buy a tach this spring to put in it, and will be using it heavily as the "Governor" till I achieve a better method.

I even thought about simply limiting the throttle travel ability, but I'm not sure I want to do that.
cogyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote