Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #1

Blue Bird All American on eBay - opinions please!

I hate to do this, but I'm going to slap up a link that will eventually expire. It's for an eBay auction for a Blue Bird All American 84 passenger made in 2000 with 146k. It's got a Cummins 8.3 and MD-3060 Allison. It seems to me like the price is high at 12500, but I would love to hear opinions on this particular bus. I'm new to the bus world and the one I was buying this week fell through

Super Clean 2000 All American Bluebird 84 Passenger School Bus in So California | eBay

Love to hear your thoughts!

Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
Bus Geek

It seems high,BUT it's in like perfect shape, engine great, tranny great under belly storage great, no rust awesome no dents and it's shiney also wow and if mileage and hrs look good/great and tires are a plus if date codes are good and alum. rims

the guy is reselling it and it's not CARB compliant so it will have to go out of state or private sale for RV/motor home

he is high on price, altho the parts are worth it

wait a few days and do an offer of a couple grand less and see how that goes, he probably picked it up for $4500->$6000

just guessing on my end
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #3

Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. You guys/gals are gems!
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd say someone is doubling their money. Well trying to...
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I'd say it's gonna sit there for the next 18 days.

The only people to pay that kind of money for a bus is a bus contractor (school districts buy new) and it's too old for any contractor to pick up for use in the U.S. I can't make out the manufacture month, but even if it was made later in 2000 it's still too old to be used for long. Don't know about other states but here in TN you can use a transit style bus for 15 years. If it has been in TN for at least two years you can then extend it for another two years or until it reaches 200k miles. To my knowledge TN is a state with some of the oldest buses. So, if it were a mid year 2002 somebody would pick it up quickly.

Too expensive to be shipped out of the states...

Which leaves skoolie types. For that kind of price you're in Crown territory.

Yes, it is amazingly clean and is probably a nice, well taken care of bus. I'd say $7000 if it has no mechanical problems and it's so clean.

But, for that kind of money ($7000) you can buy a very nice newer bus with some fixable rust, lower miles, better equipped east of the Mississippi.
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Ky kept my bus in service till it was almost 23 years old!
That area of the country has lots of older buses. Some of the rustiest, oldest, most neglected I see for sale are in the Carolinas and Louisianna.

Yeah for the asking price, I'd be Crown or MCI shopping!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78
Wolfhound, what happened to your Crown?

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
In looking at the engine it looks like someone may have swapped in an
automotive type alternator and neglected the installation of a lower mounting bolt. The alternator on my bus fills the whole distance between
the upper and lower mount (larger unit). Must be a lower horsepower 8.3
as the air filter looks kind of small as well but still a bullet proof drive train. Only thing it would need for impressive mileage would be to open up 6th
gear on the transmission.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Thats a LOT of money! Mileage means nothing, find out engine hours.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojiewoojie View Post
I'd say it's gonna sit there for the next 18 days.

The only people to pay that kind of money for a bus is a bus contractor (school districts buy new) and it's too old for any contractor to pick up for use in the U.S. I can't make out the manufacture month, but even if it was made later in 2000 it's still too old to be used for long. Don't know about other states but here in TN you can use a transit style bus for 15 years. If it has been in TN for at least two years you can then extend it for another two years or until it reaches 200k miles. To my knowledge TN is a state with some of the oldest buses. So, if it were a mid year 2002 somebody would pick it up quickly.

Too expensive to be shipped out of the states...

Which leaves skoolie types. For that kind of price you're in Crown territory.

Yes, it is amazingly clean and is probably a nice, well taken care of bus. I'd say $7000 if it has no mechanical problems and it's so clean.

But, for that kind of money ($7000) you can buy a very nice newer bus with some fixable rust, lower miles, better equipped east of the Mississippi.
If you don't mind a slight thread hi-jacking (perhaps this question will benefit the OP as well) I have a question about used skoolie pricing:

I am looking for a skoolie very similar to the one the OP pictured in this thread, and there seems to be a consensus that 12k is a lot for a bus like this, but everywhere I look online the asking prices are starting in this ballpark and skyrocketing from there... any advice wisdom for those of us looking to do our first conversion? More specifically, if you were about to buy a 35-40ft skoolie for a conversion where would you look?

If anyone has an objection to this question being asked here please let me know and i'll delete it and move it to a new thread.

Thanks
swm04a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by swm04a View Post
If you don't mind a slight thread hi-jacking (perhaps this question will benefit the OP as well) I have a question about used skoolie pricing:

I am looking for a skoolie very similar to the one the OP pictured in this thread, and there seems to be a consensus that 12k is a lot for a bus like this, but everywhere I look online the asking prices are starting in this ballpark and skyrocketing from there... any advice wisdom for those of us looking to do our first conversion? More specifically, if you were about to buy a 35-40ft skoolie for a conversion where would you look?

If anyone has an objection to this question being asked here please let me know and i'll delete it and move it to a new thread.

Thanks
Start here:
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/loo...tml#post100402
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:22 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkieri View Post
Thank you.
swm04a is offline   Reply With Quote