Old 12-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 35 kids
Boondocking comforts

Here is my list of some Boondocking comfort items that most would agree are essentials for "Roughing it"...
1. Plenty of food and water-boxed or can foods...2. a Generator and gas or propane to operate it...3. power station-to provide some creature comforts when a generator isn't available or in conjunction with a generator...4. 12 volt things like fans, heater, cooking items, lights, etc...5. emergency items- first aid kit, cell phones (at least 2), tools, matches, etc...6. CB Radio...7. Maybe a Gun or weapon... ...what else???
scoolbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Unless its free I'd save the money instead of buying a CB. They're essentially useless now.
I love them, but I haven't used one in many years.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolbus1 View Post
Here is my list of some Boondocking comfort items that most would agree are essentials for "Roughing it"...
1. Plenty of food and water-boxed or can foods...2. a Generator and gas or propane to operate it...3. power station-to provide some creature comforts when a generator isn't available or in conjunction with a generator...4. 12 volt things like fans, heater, cooking items, lights, etc...5. emergency items- first aid kit, cell phones (at least 2), tools, matches, etc...6. CB Radio...7. Maybe a Gun or weapon... ...what else???
The fact that a gun makes your list warms my soul.
T-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:27 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
The fact that a gun makes your list warms my soul.
Even the most far left bus dweller I know is armed.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:57 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolbus1 View Post
I understand where you are going but I'd suggest you not mix the 'what' and the 'how'. That is always a design mistake that leads people the wrong direction. For example, you say a generator. That is a 'how' not a 'what'. The what would be 'x watt-hours per day of electrical power.' A generator is one way ('how') to provide that but is certainly not the only possibility. Everything in your 12 volt list is the same.

Your list would then read something like: a certain amount of electrical power each day, a way to heat the unit (while parked), a way to heat/cook food, lighting, safety, etc.

I completely live on electrical powered generated by solar. That includes a big residential refrigerator, microwave/convection oven, induction stove, computers, lights, satellite TV, etc. People tend to assume that a generator is necessary for this but it isn't. Obviously, conditions play a factor. This is not going to work if living in a place with limited sun or that requires constant use of air conditioning.

Sorry, probably deeper than you intended to go...

If this is your home, it is my opinion that the setup must be 'comfortable' and 'convenient.' No doubt that varies from one person to the next. For me, it means not having to 'convert' my living room into a bedroom every night and then reverse it in the morning. Not having to live out of boxes (did that during my conversion and it was a real nuisance) - this means having storage cabinets, shelves, drawers, etc.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:20 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
I completely live on electrical powered generated by solar. That includes a big residential refrigerator, microwave/convection oven, induction stove, computers, lights, satellite TV, etc. People tend to assume that a generator is necessary for this but it isn't. Obviously, conditions play a factor. This is not going to work if living in a place with limited sun or that requires constant use of air conditioning.
Mmm... silent power. What a beautiful thing
Old 12-04-2018, 06:35 AM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: sturdivan
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3l IDI
Rated Cap: 10,000lbs
a conformable easy chair for sitting by the fire
Old 12-04-2018, 06:38 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
JD of course nailed it. Instead of starting with "I need a generator" etc, I looked at what I needed to do and what options I had for doing it. In my case, i was able to get by with a MUCH smaller solar power system that JD uses, because my biggest energy users weren't powered by it. Propane for heat, cooking, and heating water, air conditioning driven by the engine, and making an effort to avoid being where temperatures were at either extreme.

If you do end up going with battery backed power, it's important to consider what you are able to run directly from DC power rather than through an inverter. Inverters are convenient but even the best ones are throwing away power doing those conversions. For something like a laptop charger you will discover that it takes twice as much power from your system to charge from an inverter than just using a DC power source.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 7.3L 210HP Turbo Diesel T444E
Rated Cap: 28 + 3 wheel chairs.
I have a small solar configuration with 2 x 100W Solar Panels and 3 100Amh 12V Batteries that run my fridge and lights. A 2000W (though bigger than what I need / use) inverter to charge computer, etc during the day. I have a Mr. Buddy Propane heater and propane oven/stove and a wood stove.
IMG_0750.JPG
I have been doing a lot of boon docking in Arizona - because Arizona is very boondock friendly. My fridge (Dometic cooler style) is the biggest power drain when it is cooling (5.3A). Other that that, I can stay hidden for about a week before needing to get water and supplies.
I do have a generator for backup - but I have only used it a few times this past year. I feel better having it - but the last time I used it was in January to charge Ryobi batteries and run the coffee Pot.
Solar is certainly the way to go when boondocking (or just in general) as it is quiet. Those running generators in the middle of the peacefully quiet desert are not enjoying what they are there to enjoy... And, they are annoying to others. I wish I had a better solar panel array and battery bank - in hindsight, I would have spent more on those upfront.

fullsizeoutput_c16.jpg
Old 12-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Even the most far left bus dweller I know is armed.
I consider myself open-minded-left-of-center and while I have guns, I don’t ever take them with me unless I’m going somewhere for the purpose of shooting them - and my wife would not be going.

I’ve traveled extensively throughout the Americas, been in some sketchy places and never felt the need to be armed. Most sketchy places I’ve been were in the US.

But to be open minded, if you feel the need to arm yourself, you’re welcome to it. My only recommendation is that you (third person here) be a responsible and educated gun owner.
Pizote is offline   Reply With Quote