Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 35 kids
Boondocking comforts

Here is my list of some Boondocking comfort items that most would agree are essentials for "Roughing it"...
1. Plenty of food and water-boxed or can foods...2. a Generator and gas or propane to operate it...3. power station-to provide some creature comforts when a generator isn't available or in conjunction with a generator...4. 12 volt things like fans, heater, cooking items, lights, etc...5. emergency items- first aid kit, cell phones (at least 2), tools, matches, etc...6. CB Radio...7. Maybe a Gun or weapon... ...what else???

scoolbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Unless its free I'd save the money instead of buying a CB. They're essentially useless now.
I love them, but I haven't used one in many years.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolbus1 View Post
Here is my list of some Boondocking comfort items that most would agree are essentials for "Roughing it"...
1. Plenty of food and water-boxed or can foods...2. a Generator and gas or propane to operate it...3. power station-to provide some creature comforts when a generator isn't available or in conjunction with a generator...4. 12 volt things like fans, heater, cooking items, lights, etc...5. emergency items- first aid kit, cell phones (at least 2), tools, matches, etc...6. CB Radio...7. Maybe a Gun or weapon... ...what else???
The fact that a gun makes your list warms my soul.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:27 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
The fact that a gun makes your list warms my soul.
Even the most far left bus dweller I know is armed.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:57 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolbus1 View Post
I understand where you are going but I'd suggest you not mix the 'what' and the 'how'. That is always a design mistake that leads people the wrong direction. For example, you say a generator. That is a 'how' not a 'what'. The what would be 'x watt-hours per day of electrical power.' A generator is one way ('how') to provide that but is certainly not the only possibility. Everything in your 12 volt list is the same.

Your list would then read something like: a certain amount of electrical power each day, a way to heat the unit (while parked), a way to heat/cook food, lighting, safety, etc.

I completely live on electrical powered generated by solar. That includes a big residential refrigerator, microwave/convection oven, induction stove, computers, lights, satellite TV, etc. People tend to assume that a generator is necessary for this but it isn't. Obviously, conditions play a factor. This is not going to work if living in a place with limited sun or that requires constant use of air conditioning.

Sorry, probably deeper than you intended to go...

If this is your home, it is my opinion that the setup must be 'comfortable' and 'convenient.' No doubt that varies from one person to the next. For me, it means not having to 'convert' my living room into a bedroom every night and then reverse it in the morning. Not having to live out of boxes (did that during my conversion and it was a real nuisance) - this means having storage cabinets, shelves, drawers, etc.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:20 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
I completely live on electrical powered generated by solar. That includes a big residential refrigerator, microwave/convection oven, induction stove, computers, lights, satellite TV, etc. People tend to assume that a generator is necessary for this but it isn't. Obviously, conditions play a factor. This is not going to work if living in a place with limited sun or that requires constant use of air conditioning.
Mmm... silent power. What a beautiful thing
Old 12-04-2018, 06:35 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: sturdivan
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3l IDI
Rated Cap: 10,000lbs
a conformable easy chair for sitting by the fire
alpinekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:38 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
JD of course nailed it. Instead of starting with "I need a generator" etc, I looked at what I needed to do and what options I had for doing it. In my case, i was able to get by with a MUCH smaller solar power system that JD uses, because my biggest energy users weren't powered by it. Propane for heat, cooking, and heating water, air conditioning driven by the engine, and making an effort to avoid being where temperatures were at either extreme.

If you do end up going with battery backed power, it's important to consider what you are able to run directly from DC power rather than through an inverter. Inverters are convenient but even the best ones are throwing away power doing those conversions. For something like a laptop charger you will discover that it takes twice as much power from your system to charge from an inverter than just using a DC power source.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I have a small solar configuration with 2 x 100W Solar Panels and 3 100Amh 12V Batteries that run my fridge and lights. A 2000W (though bigger than what I need / use) inverter to charge computer, etc during the day. I have a Mr. Buddy Propane heater and propane oven/stove and a wood stove.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0750.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	27880
I have been doing a lot of boon docking in Arizona - because Arizona is very boondock friendly. My fridge (Dometic cooler style) is the biggest power drain when it is cooling (5.3A). Other that that, I can stay hidden for about a week before needing to get water and supplies.
I do have a generator for backup - but I have only used it a few times this past year. I feel better having it - but the last time I used it was in January to charge Ryobi batteries and run the coffee Pot.
Solar is certainly the way to go when boondocking (or just in general) as it is quiet. Those running generators in the middle of the peacefully quiet desert are not enjoying what they are there to enjoy... And, they are annoying to others. I wish I had a better solar panel array and battery bank - in hindsight, I would have spent more on those upfront.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_c16.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	27879
Old 12-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Even the most far left bus dweller I know is armed.
I consider myself open-minded-left-of-center and while I have guns, I don’t ever take them with me unless I’m going somewhere for the purpose of shooting them - and my wife would not be going.

I’ve traveled extensively throughout the Americas, been in some sketchy places and never felt the need to be armed. Most sketchy places I’ve been were in the US.

But to be open minded, if you feel the need to arm yourself, you’re welcome to it. My only recommendation is that you (third person here) be a responsible and educated gun owner.
Pizote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizote View Post
I consider myself open-minded-left-of-center and while I have guns, I don’t ever take them with me unless I’m going somewhere for the purpose of shooting them - and my wife would not be going.

I’ve traveled extensively throughout the Americas, been in some sketchy places and never felt the need to be armed. Most sketchy places I’ve been were in the US.

But to be open minded, if you feel the need to arm yourself, you’re welcome to it. My only recommendation is that you (third person here) be a responsible and educated gun owner.
I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
guns?

Those of you with guns can you let us know which state you are going thru so I can go around it?
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharee100 View Post
Those of you with guns can you let us know which state you are going thru so I can go around it?
Chicago. Oh wait guns aren't legal there. I guess no one told the gangs?
Try Canada?

Tis a shame you'll miss our big gathering in FL in Feb. At least half the attendees will be armed.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
I am in NC and I own guns of various descriptions including ones for my children to shoot. But me being an out of service MArine? I still like to shoot at targets.
Now my 18 and 19 year old children really like to shoot targets using the bigger guns I own.
Don't carry them around public in a parade or anything they are all secured in there own cases.
For me out in town? I never have carried a gun in public in the US.
But I do carry a weapon everyday? Called a pocketknife and when I go to scouting,somewhere new or strange I carry a sheath knife whether it is sometimes hidden or hanging from my belt.
No permits required?
But in trained hands could be worse?
No shots fired? Nobody running away? Everybody running towards the ones hurt? And the one doing it?
Imagine the general public running into a sword fight without swords if they picked one up somewhere
OR KNOWLEDGE OF HOW TO USE THEM PROPERLY ?
Cars
Trucks
Trailers
Fuel of all types
Power tools
BUSSES
And the list could go on and on.
Know how to maintain and use what you WANT to buy before you BUY it?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Could you imagine if your other rights were so frightening to people as the right to bear arms? I guess freedom of speech has been increasingly under attack lately but I don't see people asking for warning that you might be in the same state while talking. I will just let you know ahead of time, I am traveling the contiguous 48 states in 2019 and plan to have conversations in each one of them.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
I REALLY enjoy these these conversations and especially comments like this. I would guess that I most likely have more experience than most in addressing issues with guns. For many years I co-owned a gun store with a local law enforcement officer. Our store also supplied and worked very close with multiple agencies. Although I am in a right leaning state I am in a left leaning town. Due to this unique environment my store was like a giant soap box.

For starters almost everyone believes in gun control even if they say they don't. I would demonstrate this to the ranting far right person by asking if we should arm violent convicted criminals. They would always reply with "of course not". That is gun control so it's not gun control that they appose just the verbiage and the over reach.

The other side of the coin is the profoundly ignorant people that say things like what I quoted. I say ignorant because they actually believe what they say because they don't know better. Sadly most of them don't want to know the truth or reality. A gun is nothing more than a tool. Like any tool it can be used for good or evil. Violence and mass murder existed long before the gun. The problem is not the tool but those that use them in evil ways. Many people say that we need background checks to keep them away from bad people. That is a joke. I have spent a crazy amount of time working with the ATF and FBI, there is nothing that they can do. So much of the public do not understand how the process works. Do you know that not all criminal records are shared with the FBI? Think about that one for a while. Like all databases, crap in crap out. Countless times the FBI would tell us that it was okay to transfer a firearm so we would. Days, weeks or months later they would call back and say "there was a change in status" and the ATF needs their address to collect the firearm. So the only way to prevent the issues that can be prevented is to stop allowing repeat criminals to continue and STOP turning the rest of us into victims by disarming the good guys. Gun free zones are nothing but target rich environments. Why doesn't someone rob a gun show? Simple, they won't make it out the door. The cowardly criminals attack the weak because they there are no armed people to shoot back.

When there is a bad guy with a gun everyone calls a good guy with a gun. I say the 99.9% of us are and should be that good guy.

The big difference in the two sides is very clear. I would fight and die for YOUR right to say profoundly ignorant things that I am adamantly apposed to. But you side would do everything possible to take away MY rights. But if we are ever in a situation where my gun can save your or your loved ones life I will take that burden on myself.

Get informed and educated. God bless.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Right on with your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
I REALLY enjoy these these conversations and especially comments like this.
I don't, anymore.....too much time wasted spent trying to educate. If the sheep want to ignore the wolf, then scream for the shepherd and hope he's close.......it's their choice.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
[QUOTE=Sharee100;301130]Those of you with guns can you let us know which state you are going thru so I can go around it?[/QUOT

The contiguous United States Sharee, from sea to shining sea. .
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:09 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Back to the original question. For extended boondocking I would consider the following to be essential:
Lots of space,
Big shower,
Big loo,
LOTS of water capacity,
Big grey and poo tanks,
Enough solar power to be electrically 100% self-sufficient,
Lots of storage space.
That's why I'm setting up my bus with those features. My intention is for it to comfortably support one person for at least a month off-grid, or two people for at least a fortnight, and that's living a "normal" life, i.e with a proper shower every day, cooking and using the loo normally, etc etc.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Tools to fix whatever breaks