Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643
Re: Boondocking Ideals/Newbie

With the right filter (and pump) you can fill your potable water tank from many good sources such as mountain lakes or streams. 0.2 micron filtration will screen every microbe except viruses. Be careful about areas with agriculture, livestock, or near cities though. More urban surface water may have disolved heavy metals, which require activated carbon to filter out. Viruses can be inactivated with eight drops of clorine bleach per gallon. In a pinch you can use a backpacker filter. For your on board tanks you'll want a filter with larger flow rate, however.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

pictures! also your junkyard friend should be able to hook you up with another rear end right?
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Your buddy should be able to hook you up with a rear end from a single axle semi. Those are super cheap and plentiful. You might want to check to see if the wheels take regular semi tires (11X22.5). The more you can standardize the cheaper everything will be for you. Also scavange for an RV air conditioner. You may not need it all the time, but when you need it you really will need it. Sounds like with a little patience, tenacity, and luck you should have an outstanding skoolie. Don't forget, insulation is your best friend....
Old 06-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Very valid points Smitty.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

An 8 window bus is a great balance between size and maneuverability. I have an 8 window bus and I can drive that thing pretty much anywhere and it has plenty of room for 2 people inside comfortably. They are usually referred to as a mid-size bus, or a 3/4 size bus. Though my brother keeps calling it a 'short-bus'...I am sure just to get under my skin. Like Smitty said, make sure you check it out really well and that you can get the title for it, otherwise you may be in for a lot of headaches.

Now THIS is a SHORT BUS.....
Attached Thumbnails
shortbus2.jpg  
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
An 8 window bus is a great balance between size and maneuverability. I have an 8 window bus and I can drive that thing pretty much anywhere and it has plenty of room for 2 people inside comfortably. They are usually referred to as a mid-size bus, or a 3/4 size bus. Though my brother keeps calling it a 'short-bus'...I am sure just to get under my skin. Like Smitty said, make sure you check it out really well and that you can get the title for it, otherwise you may be in for a lot of headaches.

Now THIS is a SHORT BUS.....

Hahahaha...wow, where in the heck is that?! That is hilarious!! I bet it gets good mileage, lol...

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote