Old 05-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Huh?
Engine: T444E
Bought an air brake school bus in austin-I need someone to drive it to Omaha, NE

Hi, I'm new to this site. I'm in Omaha, NE and I just bought a mid-sized bus in Austin Texas with airbrakes. I don't have a CDL and I need someone to drive it to Omaha. Any suggestions?

Also, what do I do about insurance for now before it's titled as an RV? I use Farmer's insurance usually. Is this where I should get insurance now?

Ok, I'm excited but officially a bit scared.
heeranyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
Most people seem to just drive it home themselves, even if they don't know what they are doing and don't have a CDL. It's certainly a quick way to learn things you don't know, and a guaranteed adventure.

Note: I'm not telling you to do this, just letting you know what many people decide to do.

Alternatively, you'd probably be surprised how many people you would be able to find with CDLs going out a degree of connections. In other words, even if you don't know anyone who has one, someone you know almost definitely does.

Congrats on the new bus.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:50 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

What happens if a person gets caught without a CDL?

So if I were to get pulled over, what actually happens if the police finds out you don't have a cld?
Old 05-04-2017, 10:58 PM   #4
Traveling

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Bad Boys Bad Boys, whatcha gonna do?

I know what my wife does in those situations....If you have a pair of those, that is the time.

Play dumb, be very polite? Don't break more than 1 law at a time, so don't speed, blow red lights, tailgate and you will more than likely be fine. School buses are ubiquitous and therefore invisible.

Oh, they fine you like normal.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:10 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You don't need a CDL to drive a privately owned bus, unless you're using it for commercial purposes. Your intent is to convert it to a motorhome, more or less. You would be allowed to drive a motorhome with air brakes for private purposes without a CDL. Check with your own local DMV.

Now, go drive that bus like it's stolen. The adventure begins. Yeah, it's good to get insurance. Best not to mention the word conversion in an insurance conversation.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:19 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

So funny

Oh my goodness, I'm laughing so hard right now. I called my husband today and he said, "hi honey, how's your day?" I said, "really good. Congratulations, we are the proud new owners of a bus from Austin" He said "What?" Ok, I'll figure out how to get this thing home. Looks like there are some very adventuresome people on this site. I'm such a by the book rule follower. I'll have to figure out how to loosen up.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:24 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
What Robin said. The "C" in CDL is for "Commercial". As long as you are not using it commercially...no need for a CDL.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:46 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Slow and steady wins the race, and makes you completely invisible to the police. Like Rusty said- Use common sense, obey the laws. And remember it won't stop on a dime.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

How and where do I get insurance for now

So how do I get it insured as a private bus before I get down there? Does the current insurance I have on my car cover me for liability if I drive the bus?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
There are arguments both ways about how to be insured on your first trip home.

I use the automatic coverage clause in my current car policy to cover the bus. It's supposed to be good for 30 days after the purchase of another vehicle. Some states only allow coverage for 15 days. Other people buy insurance before driving their bus home just to be safe, with the thought that if you had an accident the insurance company would weasel out of coverage because a bus is a commercial vehicle.

Whenever I've been asked for insurance, say while getting that temporary tag for your bus, I've always used my car insurance card and it's been accepted every time. Do what you think is best to keep yourself safe.