Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 35
Brake Help!!!

I have a 97 International 3800 with 4 wheel disk. The left rear caliper is leaking and needs replaced. I bought a new caliper and pads for all 4 brakes. Does anyone have any advice on how to remove the Dayton rear wheels to access the brakes. I have the 3 1/4" socket for the axle locknuts, but still can't quite figure it out. Do I have to split the wheels, or remove them as an assembly?

quizbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Brake Help!!!

the wheels are pretty simple to remove in theory.....if they've been on there for 20 years they may prove to be a bit tricky in practice.

here's an important safety tip! Don't remove the wheel nuts all the way until after you break the wheel loose from where it's mounted.

jack the bus up, obviously you should make sure to follow general safety protocols, ie: use wheel chocks on the front wheels, jackstands or similiar device instead of a jack etc.

loosen all the wheel lug nuts, but leave each of them on the wheel stud a turn or two. There are little wedges that the lug nuts hold in place. These guys can pop out of there with a lot of force. Once you've loosened all of the lug nuts, get a sledge hammer and pound on the sidewall of the tire, or on the edge of the rim (where it meets the tire) until you break the rim free. Once it's breaks free, you can safely remove the lug nuts and the little steel wedges.

the outside wheel comes off pretty easily. the inner one isn't much more work. The buses i worked on had a spacer between the duel's but once the outside tire came off, the inner tire just needes some attitude adjustment and it followed suit.

i just uploaded a photo to help explain things.....

Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 35

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I can get both rear brakes done tonight and the fronts by the weekend.
Thanks!
quizbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
Bus Nut

it's like lapeer said except you shouldn't hit the tire sidewall or lockring, hit the rim next to the wedge/nut/stud and the wheel should break loose from the taper on the spider and wedges. it helps to use a coul or scoop shovel to work the tire on and off of the hub so that you dont smash your fingers or strain your back, jack the tire about 1 inch off the ground, slide the shovel under the tire and use it as a lever to align the wheel with the spokes, be careful to center the valvestem between the spokes. After you get the wheels wedges and nuts on, stand your hammer next to the tire and slowly rotate the tire while tightening the lugnuts ti adjust the runout/wobble of the assembly, when everything runs true start tightening every other nut equally ontil all is tight, If you get your runout to less than 1/8 inch the bus will ride/drive as good as if a professional tireman had changed the tire.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Bus Geek

it's probably too late, as you may have already done the brakes, but here is a link to a tutorial i started a while ago with more photos and info.

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtop...+change#p10129