Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

brake light ?

Hey Everyone...

I wanted to let ya know that I got my tail lights and turn signals all working ... yes !!!
Now, I am trying to figure out the brake lights.
I was looking for the switch and wasn't able to locate anything that looked like the switch on my '68 F-250. There are two wires going to a a metal rectangle. The plunger rod for the master cylinder connects to the same piece, but I didn't see anything that resembled a switch.
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me...

Thank you,
KaptnKAOS

Olde Skool '68 Ford Bluebird bus "Shorty"
https://rides.webshots.com/album/559029491BwEQCZ
KaptnKAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #2

I believe you may have found the switch jeep and the older fords used a switch that mounted on the pivot at the brake pedal. If not I would look in the area around the master cylinder may have a pressure type switch screwed into the master or t-ed into a line.
odee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Bus Nut

My 91 Bluebird TC2000 had a pressure type switch that was mounted inline with one of the brake lines. Pressure from the brake fluid activated the switch and turned the brake lights on.

I had an issue with it last summer and it shorted out causing the brake lights to stay on all the time, which caused the back-up brake booster to run all the time, which caused the switch to over heat and leak.

I had to replace it with an updated, plunger type switch which is mounted near the brake pedal and activates when you step on the pedal. You can read about that adventure here...

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

good luck!