Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Bus Nut

brake pedal "sticking" w/air brakes?

Just walked outside after moving my bus around the yard an hour or so ago and noticed the brake lights were on. When I checked, the air pressure was really low. I cranked up and the air wasn't coming up as fast as normal. I tapped on the brake pedal several times and heard the normal "whoosh" you hear with air brakes. Then I looked closer and realized the brake pedal wasn't at the same height as the air throttle pedal, so I reached down and pulled it up about 3/4" or so. After that the brake lights were out, and the air came up quickly.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might be causing this? Should I be doing some kind of PM work to the pedals? Should I just squirt the hinge with some lube and relax, or should I worry about this? I would really hate to have my brakes partially engaged while operating the vehicle.

Thanks,
jim

PS, I don't plan to move the bus out of the yard until I'm satisfied it will be safe.

baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: brake pedal "sticking" w/air brakes?

My brake pedal does the same thing, ultimately I'd suggest replacing the pedal. In the meantime do what I do, squirt the hinges with WD-40, CRC or something similar and work the pedal up & down a bit and that should fix it up for now!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I had this problem with my bus a few years ago. I "fixed" it by adding a spring that pulls the brake pedal up when I take my foot off the brakes... Here's a post about it viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1091

I have hydraulic brakes though.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: SV396 V-8, International
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinCoughlin

My bus I just got had angled wooden blocks on both the throttle and the brake - it probably made it easier to step on the brake giving you more leverage (the brake pedal is lower than the throttle) but I took the blocks off. I want maximum width of the pedals for my fat feet.

On the other hand, since most of the time on the highway is spent with the pedal most of the way to the floor, it might have been better to leave the block ON that pedal. Or not wear cowboy boots (the heel makes you have to hyperextend the toe).

Luckily, neither of the pedals were sagging due to extra weight of the blocks.... but I ripped them off anyway!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Skoolie

Had the same issue, WD-40 and a wire brush.