Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #1

Year: 1988
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: b700
Engine: 6.6 liter turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 65
brakes locked up

I have a 1988 b700 thomas 65 pass bus that had a brake line leak and now the brakes seem to be locked up. Is this some kind of safety feature? the parking brake always worked before the leak but does not seem to release the brakes now. any help would be great. the bus is not exactly where I would like to have it sit over the winter! Thanks. ps this site is great!

schoolsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: brakes locked up

If you have air brakes then the maxis are just set and yes, it is a safety feature. But you have a Ford...I fear you have Lucas-Girling brakes. These are hydroboost brakes using power steering pump pressure to provide the power assist. However, they also have a spring-brake safety like air brakes. The power steering pump must provide pressure through a long line to the back where the pressure acts to overcome the spring pressure and release the brakes. If you have a leak in this large line then the system will not be able to generate the required pressure to overcome the springs and the brakes will never release unless you manually cage them. Basically, the system is working exactly as it is supposed to by preventing you from moving with a major malfunction.

Fix the line and I bet your brakes will work again.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #3

Year: 1988
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: b700
Engine: 6.6 liter turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 65
Re: brakes locked up

Thanks for the info.I have been so busy getting ready for winter that the bus has been put on the back burner. I picked up a section of breakline and fluid and will repair the damaged line in a few days. hope this does the trick cause the bus is right in front of my barn and in the way.I picked the bus up about a year ago to use at the motocross track as both a camper and a store.Things didnt work out but the bus is in such good shape I want to keep it for a fun project. I will be using this site to help with the transformation from school bus to a cool hang out on wheels.looking forward to reading what every one else is doing with there project.Thanks again for the help and look forward to getting to know you all. Pat,schoolsout.
schoolsout is offline   Reply With Quote