Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2018, 12:10 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my local NAPA store has 1 inch heater hose in stock... maybe because im in a large city?
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my local NAPA store has 1 inch heater hose in stock... maybe because im in a large city?
-Christopher
It's not a question of in stock, it's a question of price.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 77 pas
I have a heater box as well in the back, probably the 3rd row toward the back. I really want to save this heater and am kicking around how to move it and reroute it. Thanks for this thread!
On the other hand, it's really only used when the bus is rolling am I right? Or if stationary I'd obviously have to run the bus... Maybe I'm over thinking this as I'm going to have an alternative what source when I'm parked. Thoughts?
hjorg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjorg5 View Post
I have a heater box as well in the back, probably the 3rd row toward the back. I really want to save this heater and am kicking around how to move it and reroute it. Thanks for this thread!
On the other hand, it's really only used when the bus is rolling am I right? Or if stationary I'd obviously have to run the bus... Maybe I'm over thinking this as I'm going to have an alternative what source when I'm parked. Thoughts?
You could use it when parked if you have a diesel coolant heater.

That said, the better way to use a diesel heater is to get one that uses blown-air heating.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
be careful about schedule 80 or even CPVC.. max temp i thought on most schedule 80 is 140-160f and CPVC is 200, high temp PEX is 200.. your coolant temps may very well reach or exceed those numbers at times.. and while your heater valves are likely closed in summer.. it would suck to forget, run the bus up a hill get to 210 and fail a pipe because of an over-site.. id either run 3/4" copper hardlines or keep the hoses in such a way you can repair / replace if needbe/..
-Christopher
we replaced all the hose with 5/8ths inch but now I need to connect the new hose to the old hose and then at some point to the heater again. we will move the loop to the end of the new hoses until we get to the heater replacement/hook up. **** I just realized we either need a new 5/8th loop or reducers for that end as well unless we wait until we hook the heater up. AUGH.

so I have looked on line and I don't see what I need to connect the old 1"ID hose to the new 5/8th ID hose. The hose runs along the floor under the step at the emergency door and over the wheel wells and I am going to shove some rubber and or insulation at all the points where it could rub.

The quick connect style cheapo plastic things are NOT what I want to use. I want something that should hold up for a LONG time. can you suggest a specific product? Brass plumbing reducer maybe? any advice would be very appreciated.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:57 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
we replaced all the hose with 5/8ths inch but now I need to connect the new hose to the old hose and then at some point to the heater again. we will move the loop to the end of the new hoses until we get to the heater replacement/hook up. **** I just realized we either need a new 5/8th loop or reducers for that end as well unless we wait until we hook the heater up. AUGH.

so I have looked on line and I don't see what I need to connect the old 1"ID hose to the new 5/8th ID hose. The hose runs along the floor under the step at the emergency door and over the wheel wells and I am going to shove some rubber and or insulation at all the points where it could rub.

The quick connect style cheapo plastic things are NOT what I want to use. I want something that should hold up for a LONG time. can you suggest a specific product? Brass plumbing reducer maybe? any advice would be very appreciated.
You're asking for a double step down, not a common reducer. There are 3/4"-1" brass hose barb if you had gone with a next step down instead of 2. You could then get a 3/4"-5/8" hose barb to step it down to 5/8.

1 in. x 3/4 in. Brass PEX Barb Reducer Coupling (YOW-532927)
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:29 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
bus supply for tube connectors

I have see brass tube connectors for heater lines used in bus applications, listed in online bus supply/parts stores, many different shapes and sizes. also.. when running a line, why use the line itself as a radiant heater? so in stead of rubber hoses use some thing like a finned tube like what can be found here Finned Tubes, Fin Tube & Finned Pipe Manufacturer - Wadsworth, Ohio

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:09 AM   #48
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You're asking for a double step down, not a common reducer. There are 3/4"-1" brass hose barb if you had gone with a next step down instead of 2. You could then get a 3/4"-5/8" hose barb to step it down to 5/8.

1 in. x 3/4 in. Brass PEX Barb Reducer Coupling (YOW-532927)
Thank you!! I have plenty of extra hose to put in two steps and I am going to leave them accessible so I can make sure they are holding up well.