Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
Hey all sorry to leave you hanging, after Melissa's chat with code enforcement and some digging through the posted town codes here are our findings....

There is a code that states something to the effect of " commercial vehicles over 10,000 pounds cannot be parked in the neighborhood for longer than loading or unloading purposes."
--- our bus is a utility vehicle weighed at 17,000 pounds hmmm....

Also as per a new code that hasn't been posted to the online code resource, and Melissa didn't ask for a written copy of, states all rv's must be parked beside or behind the home on a DRIVEWAY EXTENSION. Even though other folks in the neighborhood have rv's and campers parked in their driveway some of which appear inop. They are apparently grandfathered in.

We are leaving for a ski trip in Vermont for the week tomorrow, our plan is to leave the bus in the driveway and if someone complains again its clear that their issue is with the vehicle being here in general not the noise or fact we are working on it.

Next time the code guy comes by I would like to speak to him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
if code says "commercial vehicle" and not commercial "type" vehicle you should be in the clear unless your using it for commercial purposes.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
We went through the same rigamarole. City code officer sent a letter that "There appears to be a commercial vehicle in your driveway......". I called and explained that it is titled as a motorhome and that it was legally parked per city codes (which I checked before buying the bus).

Code said RVs had to be parked behind the back plane of the house and we had added a proper spot ahead of time. City bureaucrat I talked to was pretty cool about it and just asked for the plate number to verify what I said.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Bought time for another Skoolie Fest when you guys get back.....where did you say you live?

Old 03-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
We went through the same rigamarole. City code officer sent a letter that "There appears to be a commercial vehicle in your driveway......". I called and explained that it is titled as a motorhome and that it was legally parked per city codes (which I checked before buying the bus).

Code said RVs had to be parked behind the back plane of the house and we had added a proper spot ahead of time. City bureaucrat I talked to was pretty cool about it and just asked for the plate number to verify what I said.
This is precisely why I moved out of a neighborhood and moved to the sticks. Just couldn't deal with all those stuffy people that can't keep their nose out of other people's business.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
building codes, building permit, new york state