Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2016, 09:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Bunk Bed Question

My family is being quite supportive of my bus venture, which makes it nice.

One of the things they mentioned was that once or twice a year I can chill at their house (pool, oh yeah) and they could take the bus on a camping trip or road trip.

One sibling has 3 teens the other 2.

Has anyone here done bunk beds that are removable or convertible to something else when you don't need them as bunk beds?

I thought of a pantry for one, since they wouldn't need the entire pantry for just a week, and maybe a table like in an RV but would like to hear everyone's thoughts or better pics if you have them.

As always, thank you

BigPaul

BigPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
I have thought about the bottom bunk being the sest of a couch and the top bunk folding down to be the back of the couch.

I've also thought about a fold up bunk above the drivers seat and stairs.

I've also thought about eye bolts for hammocks that you take down and fold up.

You could also do a tanning bed in the bunk, but you'll need a lot of solar panels for that.
karrlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
Bus Nut

If you have the headroom consider a permanent bunk over the driver. Usually wasted space and can be used for storage when not in use. Totes would fit nicely in a spot like this.
I am planning folding bunks in my build for daughter and friends. I like some I've seen where when the bunk is folded up there is a table on the underside that can be used.
I've also got some more unique ideas that I have to determine if it will work and still allow space. Have the bunks supported on a vertical rail setup where they can be raised via motor or hand winch and be in the overhead when not in use, kinda like what they do in the garage area of toyhauler trailers.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #4

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44
I'm working on a simple convertible bunk for mine: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
benstep42 is offline   Reply With Quote