Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Bus interior dimensions?

I have read that the maxim sizes for a bus in the US are 45 feet long and 8.5 feet wide. Since bus sizes are usually referred to by their passenger capacity, how many would a bus that size be?

Also, if I go looking for these larger buses, will I find them at generally exactly 45'x8.5'?

Once the interior insulation and wall paneling has been added (plus any piping/conduit behind the walls), about how much space is left? 8 feet?

Lastly, behind the drivers' seat to the rear of the bus, how much usable space is that?

Thanks!

SweetBearCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Bus interior dimensions?

To many varibles...look on the site this was asked within last week and you can see differences...most "ong" skool buses are about 40ft front to back;OTR buses and new bus push the 102 inhes and 45 feet all the time...not skoolies tho'
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72

A similar question was asked here http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=466343

Most buses are 7 1/2' inside width, 8

Rear engine buses have about 4-5 ft more space behind the drivers seat, but you have all four wheel wells in your living space. I have a 12 row rear engine = 34' with about 30' behind the drivers seat. Most wheel chair buses are shorter dog nose buses.

bansil posted a drawing of a rear engine 40 fter, I have a larger photo of it if you want.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Most Blue Birds are bang on 7 foot 6 inches inside, 7 foot 10 inches out. That way they have room for the mirrors, and still stay under the national standard of 8 foot 6 inches wide.

Here in Alberta Canada, I'm allowed a RV or Bus up to 11 foot 11 inches wide. I only have to run a wide load sign, and flashing lights on the outer most corners at night. A extra $45 on my registration per year.

Think of how much easier a conversion would be with a 11 feet wide shell. Also the square footage gain.

For anyone who I might of scared a bit, driving lanes on interstates are 16 feet wide.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

nat_ster - Thanks for the info on the interior width for a typical Bluebird. Getting a "wide load" sign is an option, but buses sold here (in the USA) do not typically get up into 11+ feet in width, so even with such a certification, none would be commonly available. The only thing I have seen that wide is flatbed tractor trailers hauling stuff, though I could be wrong on both counts. And even though interstate lanes are wider, I sould not feel comfortable driving something quite so large. A bus that maxes out at 8.5 feet wide will easily be the biggest vehicle I have ever driven. And I still have memories of learning to drive years ago, and misjudging the width of my first car and taking out a mailbox, LOL. (I paid the homeowner for a new mailbox and a bit to have it installed.)