Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2018, 06:50 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 466
Bus length restrictions in Parks

I'm in the process of finding a bus, I've been able to find most of the info I've needed so far on the site. One question I do have is length, I want as much as I can get because me and the wife are planning on going full time. What I'm worried about is building a 40ft bus then not being able to find a campsite when traveling unless I book it a year in advance... Were more of the shoot from the hip travelers and use it as part of the experience. Has anyone on here had experience with length issue's when traveling? I've found several buses I like from 30 to 40 ft, just not wanting to make a big mistake because I want square footage... Thanks and sorry so long...

jonb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb8 View Post
Has anyone on here had experience with length issue's when traveling?
Sure! The whole lifestyle is a series of compromises. It is only logical that a tiny vehicle can access more places that a huge one. My setup is about 65' long when moving so it isn't just the camping spots that are limiting, the roads, low hanging tree branches, tight corners, etc. - which are prolific on forest trails - are all limiting factors.

I have no idea about the east but in the west, most state parks and campgrounds can easily fit 25-30' rigs. Beyond that, the number of potential sites begins to drop. As do the number of gas stations, grocery stores, etc. into which you can wedge yourself.

In my opinion, the ideal setup for getting to the really great boondocking sites would be a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon towing a high-lift teardrop trailer. However; full-time living in such an arrangement would be miserable for me.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
I went through the same process and ended up deciding on a 36 foot bus. I can’t remember all the links and so on but if you do some searching you can find what percentage of campsites can accept different lengths of buses or RV’s. By the time you get all the way up to 40 the number starts dropping quite a bit but if you stay under 30 you’ll find a place almost anywhere and I opted for 36 feet because it seems like I could still fit most places although it definitely is not 100%.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:22 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'm in the process of finding a bus, I've been able to find most of the info I've needed so far on the site. One question I do have is length, I want as much as I can get because me and the wife are planning on going full time. What I'm worried about is building a 40ft bus then not being able to find a campsite when traveling unless I book it a year in advance... Were more of the shoot from the hip travelers and use it as part of the experience. Has anyone on here had experience with length issue's when traveling? I've found several buses I like from 30 to 40 ft, just not wanting to make a big mistake because I want square footage... Thanks and sorry so long...
Good luck and welcome to the adventure

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:22 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
I saw an article about this recently.

Virtually all State and Federal campgrounds, and most private ones can accommodate up to 35'

When you get to 40' the number drops to around 80%.

45' and you are down to about 60%

The other issue is that most sites have a limited number of places for the larger RVs, so they might be booked before you get there.

Remember though that this only applies to RV pads with hook-ups. Even small campgrounds usually have room if you don't need those facilities and if you just want to stop for the night you can pretty much stop anywhere .... truck stops, rest areas, Wal-Mart ...

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:46 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Sure! The whole lifestyle is a series of compromises. It is only logical that a tiny vehicle can access more places that a huge one. My setup is about 65' long when moving so it isn't just the camping spots that are limiting, the roads, low hanging tree branches, tight corners, etc. - which are prolific on forest trails - are all limiting factors.

I have no idea about the east but in the west, most state parks and campgrounds can easily fit 25-30' rigs. Beyond that, the number of potential sites begins to drop. As do the number of gas stations, grocery stores, etc. into which you can wedge yourself.

In my opinion, the ideal setup for getting to the really great boondocking sites would be a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon towing a high-lift teardrop trailer. However; full-time living in such an arrangement would be miserable for me.
Thanks for the reply's, I'm reading everything I can... and yes JD a jeep and offroad teardrop is the best and we've been doing it for years but we need something bigger, a bathroom for the wife and easier to get in and out of since were getting older... are current adventure setup

Old 02-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks for the reply's, I'm reading everything I can... and yes JD a jeep and offroad teardrop is the best and we've been doing it for years but we need something bigger, a bathroom for the wife and easier to get in and out of since were getting older... are current adventure setup

Love the Cherokee...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
...a jeep and offroad teardrop is the best and we've been doing it for years but we need something bigger, a bathroom for the wife and easier to get in and out of since were getting older... are current adventure setup

Very nice!! I'm envious! I have to park the rig and then take off with my Jeep to find the trails and awesome sights!
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I stayed at a park with a 25 foot limit! My bus is 24 so I was good, but that limit wasn't listed anywhere online until you get there and see the sign.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: AmTran 11 Window
Chassis: IHC
Engine: DT466e
Here's a link to an article that breaks down what percentage of national parks can accomodate RVs of a particular length:
LINK

30' was my magic number and I wound up with an 11 row flat nose.

And for those with lazy index fingers:
-RVs up to 12′ in length fit in every national park campground in the United States, although there are a few campgrounds that don’t allow RVs at all and are tent only.
-RVs up to 19′ in length fit in 98% of all national park service campgrounds.
-RVs up to 25′ in length fit in 93% of all national park campgrounds
-RVs up to 29′ in length fit in 84% of all national park campgrounds
-RVs up to 32′ in length fit in 81% of all national park campgrounds
-RVs up to 35′ in length fit in 73% of all national park campgrounds
-RVs up to 37′ in length fit in 60% of all national park campgrounds
-RVs up to 40′ in length fit in 53% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however. Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)
-RVs up to 41′ in length fit in 7% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however. Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)
paulnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Pro tip: If you paint you bus with vertical stripes it looks taller/thinner, making your 40 foot bus look like it's only 32!
Old 02-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Are those numbers just figuring rv spots with hookups? Just got an 11 window ce that I believe is between 35 and 37, wonder if if I get to a park without a spot if I can just park it in their normal parking lot without hookups
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Pro tip: If you paint you bus with vertical stripes it looks taller/thinner, making your 40 foot bus look like it's only 32!
Lol,thats how I pic my clothes.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:06 PM   #14
Skoolie

I wanted 35 to 37 ft to get everything I wanted in it, and to make it big enough to live in full time. Now I'm thinking about this bus, it's a friends and is priced reasonable. It's 30 ft bumper to bumper but man it looks small, the wife loves state parks and it's the only place she wants to stay, and the cheapest.... UHHHHGGGGGG

Old 02-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Small buses are easier to travel with without a dinghy vehicle. The bigger your bus gets the more you’re going to need to tell something to drive around. My 36’ doesn’t seem huge inside.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:15 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Mine is 25 with a 3 foot rack on the back for my generator and outside gear. At 28 I haven't found anywhere that couldn't accommodate me yet. When finding some campgrounds online a lot of times they list the number of feet it can accommodate but they aren't including the vehicle that's towing the trailer.
Ofcourse I'm still under 30 feet but have gotten in some places that claimed I wouldn't fit.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Aren't you afraid you'll come out of a store and find your generator gone?

It would be great if you filled out your profile so we could see what you're driving.

I'm in a 26' TC1000, which is the most manuverable buvs I've ever seen. I keep everything inside, including my motorcycle garage. Never been to a campground yet.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:13 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
It's locked up 2 different ways. U-lock and a chain. You couldn't even hacksaw the U-lock
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
But they could sabotage your generator. I live in a rough neighborhood where if they can't steal it, they break it so you can't use it either.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #20
Skoolie

We want to travel as we full time so we have to rely on campgrounds at times... We love the history and feel of the old state parks... I did some quick graph paper work on 22 ft from drivers seat back on the IH and it doesn't look like that's going to work for us.... Not for full time, no way to get away from each other...LOL