Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Rated Cap: 72
Bus Safety

Not sure if this has been posted or not.

That crumpled up soda can under the bus used to be a GMC Sierra pickup. The driver of the GMC (19 year old male, go figure) was killed as was one girl on the bus (not sure how) but everyone else on the bus survived with minor injuries.

Related articles: http://notes.mshp.dps.mo.gov/si01/si01p ... enDocument

http://www.sullivanjournal.com/news/art ... 0f31a.html

Most of you on here probably have good common sense, kind of required for our tasks at hand, but yet another reason to NOT TEXT AND DRIVE or use your phone at all, your big burly American* pickup could turn to a heap of crumpled up tin foil under a bus.

-JB

*made with imported components, assembled in Canada / Mexico, lol.

porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Re: Bus Safety

UGLEEEE
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 16

The big question is why was the bus tailgating the pickup?

The pickup hitting the bobtail tractor because he was texting is reasonable. The buses then hitting the pickup and eachother is not.
orangepeel91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Why weren't the "professional" bus drivers looking way ahead? The photo from the Sullivan Journal clearly shows the accident scene was visible at least half a mile back, maybe even a mile or more. The back-up from the construction site that caused the tractor to slow/stop may have been hidden over the crest of a hill, but you would have seen brake lights at the top of the hill. This should have caused an alert.

Professionals look at intersecting roadways to see if anyone is entering an on-ramp, and change lanes in anticipation rather than waiting until a vehicle is alongside attempting to merge. I always look 3/4 mile to one mile ahead (where the twisting Northeast terrain allows). For example, If I see a slow tractor trailer crawling along that another tractor trailer I am overtaking will have to pass, I give the second semi room so the driver will not have to brake and then attempt to regain highway speed.

I can see a parked Troop Car at about 2 miles on a straightaway, and expect the drivers around me to do stupid things when they see it, too. (Though with the new low-profile LED light bars, at distances beyond a half mile some foreign sedans with roof racks give the profile of a Smokey rolling toward me from the opposite direction. The old interstate cars of the 1980s, even without a light bar, were a dead giveaway at one mile with the lowered ground clearance.)

As an old phart I hate to say this, but maybe the fact that the lead bus driver was 75 years old may have something to do with this? Just saying . . . . .

p.s. This week I get to see if I can keep my CDL medical card . . . .

Edit: As I think about it, driving solo being distracted only by the clowns on the radio(s) is a bit different than having your attention divided by a full busload of high schoolers on a field trip clowning around behind you. I've never had more than a dozen or so teens ride with me. Maybe I should cut the driver some more slack . . . .
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
UGLEEEE
Are you drunk?
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

So it looks to me like we should all drive semi's or buses as daily drivers for safety.

JK man.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

No porkchop I'm not drunk but I wouldn't be surprised to find that the bus driver was. Besides, I'd still have to say that my neologism "uglee" pretty much sums up the scene presented in your picture of the wreck wouldn't you agree?
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote