Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Bus with wheelchair door and mechanism?

I've started looking for a bus. I'm finding a lot of buses with a wheelchair lift door and mechanism. Looking at the inside of the bus, this is a huge contraption. I would not need this in my bus. What are the pros and cons of getting a bus with this feature and how difficult would it be to remove and what to do with the resulting extra door? Is this something that will cause headaches down the line, or is there any way to turn it to my advantage? Have attached photos of what I am talking about. (Sorry, got 'upload failed' on all photos)

Gazolba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
My bus is a Mobile Software /hard ware DEV lab... I yanked out that lift... that door swings wide open.. I use a nice little retractable bug screen when im in a buggy area.. its an awesome place to sit whe nim working.. dorr open, eating my lunch or on the laptop.. lets in the nice outside air and light.. since its a swinging door from front to back, its right behind my main bus door... so I have run with that door tied back had the wind blowing in from it makes for a nice (but noisy) ride...

its wider than my rear door so getting stuff in and out of the bus is great with it...

I love that door.. miss it in my newest bus..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
I know what *I* would do with the lift, if my bus had one....

Use it to get my motorcycle in and out of the back end. (2016 Harley Davidson Sportster)
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Here's a link to the pics of what I mean:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/324590...7675455306446/
Gazolba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
I would say leave it in there and use it to get the big, bulky or heavy items in and out (up to the weight limit of the lift).

There's no reason not to leave it in place unless there just flat out is not room for it.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazolba View Post
Here's a link to the pics of what I mean:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/324590...7675455306446/
Its like the docking bay for the dragon when it goes to the ISS. One day pizza will come to you via a Tesla and that will be your front door. Or maybe a drone on a roof vent. better keep them all.

Really its huge the door must be 48" I like the idea of switching the platform for a stair case that automatically deploys. Like a cruise ship pulling up to dock. is it legal to make wheel chair lift a stair case?
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote