Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2016, 08:41 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyCoyote View Post
As to the suggestion of making many new stickies, its a good and rational proposal, but I also want you to consider the value of doing the research yourself.
If the search function worked better... tho I'm getting the hang of it.

{Quote]

And I'll also share something that likely needs to be said, unpopular though it may be: there is no "right" answer. Busses are like wives/girlfriends: what works great for one guy would completely break another. Its all about preference and compromise. And the only way to know what is ideal is to "date". Heavily. After all, if this were a dating site and I told you the *only* woman worth having is 5'8", 34D-24-34, strawberry blonde, 26 years old, wears stilletto heels and is a super-model from wealthy stock, would I be doing you any favors? No. You have to find what fits your personal situation, tastes, and conjugal preferences. (-ducking-)[/quote]You had me at strawberry blonde. How did you know?

Yeah, I know there is no one size fits all but in the early stages it would help to know what options are. The Ford 10 passenger mini bus isn't going to come with the 8.3L Cummins but if you don't know anything about Fords or Dodges you might spend days looking at auction sites trying to find YOUR perfect bus without knowing you're chasing a unicorn.

Quote:
BTW: Elliot Naess did a *wonderful* series of posts on his build thread about various engines and transmissions and their pros/cons. You might pour yourself several fingers of Scotch, settle-in for a long night and read about his musings in the Millicent Chronicles. Its a really good read for many reasons and would be the perfect place to start this journey.
I've seen the Millicent name; I'll check the thread out!!

Is there a way to sort threads by the number of posts? Something that is 7 yrs old, has 10947 post, and was last updated 2 days ago is probably a wealth of knowledge regardless of how the thread started life.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
You had me at strawberry blonde. How did you know?
Those claw marks were a dead giveaway. Lets compare scars sometime over a beer...

Warning. Thread drift.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyCoyote View Post
Those claw marks were a dead giveaway. Lets compare scars sometime over a beer...

Warning. Thread drift.
Might just take you up on that. The GF is a ginger.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #24
Bus Nut

To me learning is part of the fun. Plus sharing what you have learned. Don't be intimidated by size. It is just a big truck. You can save thousands by doing your own maintenance.

When you like curling up by the fire to read a good book and that book turns out to be a shop manual. Then you are a Skoolie.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
To me learning is part of the fun. Plus sharing what you have learned. Don't be intimidated by size. It is just a big truck. You can save thousands by doing your own maintenance.

When you like curling up by the fire to read a good book and that book turns out to be a shop manual. Then you are a Skoolie.
Can you be a skoolie without having a skoolie?

Until the mfg stopped making paper manuals, I've owned just about every FSM for my cars. I don't have the patience to sit in a waiting room to have brakes or the oil changed every for the same price as I can do it. Factor in transit time and I can do it just as quick without a lift and garage.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Don't have the right to say but IMO Yes.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Don't have the right to say but IMO Yes.
Good enough for me; I'll take it.