Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Buying a bus

I'm going to buy a bus and need to get insurance, do I need to get the title changed to an rv title? My insurance company said it needs to be done by a professional to be insured as a rv. Also does having your bus insured as a rv is your belongings inside covered? And does anyone know what this process is like for North Dakota?

Jamie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie23 View Post
I'm going to buy a bus and need to get insurance, do I need to get the title changed to an rv title? My insurance company said it needs to be done by a professional to be insured as a rv. Also does having your bus insured as a rv is your belongings inside covered? And does anyone know what this process is like for North Dakota?
What insurance companies don't know would be a book about the same size as the book "The Men's Guide to Understanding Women".

You do not have to get the Title changed immediately. Progressive Commercial will insure a School Bus for Personal Use for a very reasonable rate. Mine cost $300, last week. You have to call them but you can get a quote online.

When you are ready to change the title and insure an RV, find an insurer who doesn't require professional conversion. There is no need whatsoever to make this requirement, so go to someone who understands. There are plenty. State Farm have all our vehicles and they have already said they will insure a converted bus, but there are others.

I can't answer for North Dakota.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Quote:
You would need to get the rv title if it was an rv. It's not an rv yet. It's a bus, or a van or whatever you can get it titled as. The rules are different in every state so you've go to go to your own dmv and ask questions.

For your insurance questions, I'm sure your insurance agent can answer those questions better than I can. Remember this phrase; "a commercial policy for private use". It's not all that expensive but it is usually just liability. It's likely you'll get hooded up through Progressive. Don't call them directly unless you want disappointment. Go to an independent isurance agent. The mom and pop insurance place, usually in an old house or something. They do all the searching for you.

Yes, the insurance companies want you to take your bus to a coach builder that will charge you an arm and a leg to convert you bus. Some people do that. The rest of us get a bus licensed and insured first. Build what you want, then later get it insured somewhere else as an RV when it's a real RV.

What your insurance policy actually covers is between you and your insurer.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:24 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

When you insure your bus as an rv are your belongings inside cover with that?
Jamie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:49 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That is a question for your insurer because the answer is fully dependent on your policy. Aim lower. Most of us have to settle for liability policies because that's all they offer.

I didn't register mine as a motorhome. I'm registered as a van, but I still have to have the commercial. policy for private use policy.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:16 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
When you insure your bus as an rv are your belongings inside cover with that?
Its my feeling that the insurance is just to be legal.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
My homeowners ins policy covers items in the bus, the boat and storage. Bus is just pl/pd, no collision as of yet but may when completely built out due to the investment on parts and time to build. Gotta get something back should this sucker implode or explode under steam.

John
Old 12-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I carry full coverage on my busses.. and i was told that only things listed on my policy are covered.. just like in a car if your car goes up in flames and you had a $4000 laptop in the trunk that the auto policy wouldnt likely cover it.. however my homeowners would under the theft / destruction of personal property.. wierd stuff.. but something that true RV insurance vs a vehicle policy might handle and you would need to ask.

anyrthing permanently attached that you can show cost for you can get covered.. ie in my DEV bus I added dual coach-road A/C systems.. and have receipts for the parts I bought to build them.. so they are covered on the policy in the event of a total loss..

I added the paint / new transmission and also keep all receipts for parts and repairs for my red bus as well.. I run a declared value policy.. whether you get your declared value or not is anybody;s guess.. however showing lots of improvements to the vehicle portion itself and gavinfg receipts for everything you have done large and small.. and pictures / documents, etc. will help you should the need arise..

i can say that when my first bus burned in a garage fire that the insurance company paid out very fairly.. when I showed receipts and bill of sale for the bus and improvements done to it..

like my current 2 busses it was Not converted to a camper.. it was still a bus.. so perhaps that made it easier? not sure..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, new bus owners, north dakota, title