Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
Skoolie

buying mileage

Looking at a bus with 195k miles for $4500. Its a short flat nose, it has more mileage than i want but im having difficutlies finding short flat noses so im not sure if should buy it. Basically at what mileage do you normally begin to see mechanical troubles.

carneiro1292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
We need more information!

What engine does it have?
How many hours?
Might a well say what transmision it has too.

195k probably is fine, but it depends on how it was maintained.
Can you get maintenance logs?
Who is selling it?

Basically, mileage really doesent mater too much in the end.
Busses come with a crap load of engines, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

If you were buying a car, would the only thing you care about be the mileage? Probably not. You would ask questions like the ones I've asked you.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #3

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/so-...rst-11647.html

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:30 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
I want to point out that that thread while informative has nothing to do with the question he asked.

2 Things: One how much do you want to drive it? Two where do you want to drive it?

It depends on how it was maintained. From what I have read I get the suspicion that some places change busses out based on mileage, some of those places it seems just stop taking care of them when they are getting close to that mileage (montgomery county for example)

I have a ford explorer with 160k and vw golf with 125k both doing fine. A big diesel bus should be fine until 300 or so.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Skoolie

1997 Thomas Built School Bus, AC, runs, air brakes and is in great shape. Bus is sold as is.

Cummins EF6BTA190 engine

Allison AT545 Transmission

it wouldnt be driving much since i would park it and full time in it. but would take it out for the occasional trips or festival
Old 11-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
This would be where your expertise in assessing mechanical things come into play. You'll have to judge that one on your own.

Any history records on it?
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #7
Skoolie

essentially what i wanted to know is if tht would be a decent mileage to buy it with. Is it too much? I wouldnt buy a car with over 150k miles on it but does the same logic transfer to buses?
Old 11-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Probably be fine. Would be good to know what the hours are on it. See if the guy will let you pull and oil sample from it. That would put your mind at ease for sure. WELL worth the $25.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #9

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
I want to point out that that thread while informative has nothing to do with the question he asked.

Yes, you are correct. We don't need any information about the bus to give a guess as to when things will go south.

I don't know what kind of transmission you have but it will blow up between 197,550 and 198,347 miles.

I don;t know what engine you have but it will definitely throw a rod at 212,763 miles.

I don't know if the bus has rust but the back half is already breaking off and will fall off on the freeway in about a hundred miles.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Yes, you are correct. We don't need any information about the bus to give a guess as to when things will go south.

I don't know what kind of transmission you have but it will blow up between 197,550 and 198,347 miles.

I don;t know what engine you have but it will definitely throw a rod at 212,763 miles.

I don't know if the bus has rust but the back half is already breaking off and will fall off on the freeway in about a hundred miles.
True, but what you just typed is probably the best answer you could give him. You should put that verbatim into the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carneiro1292 View Post
essentially what i wanted to know is if tht would be a decent mileage to buy it with. Is it too much? I wouldnt buy a car with over 150k miles on it but does the same logic transfer to buses?
Are you buying a car?
No, well kind of, but not really.
So thus the logic follows that.

Medium duty diesels are a different beast, they are bigger, meaner, uglier, stronger, oilier and thirstier than a cars engine. Now what can be said is that yes with more miles on it, it has had more exposure time for things going wrong with it. It also has had more exposure time to get those problems fixed.

The thing you have to pay attention to is busses are sometimes taken out of service when they are near/at/or above their mileage limit for the school and they need service. Read this $200 part needs to be replaced but who cares we have to punt it anyways. These mile limits are not set by sound logic but bureaucratic logic. A well maintained diesel will run longer than you would think. Now shocks, struts, tires, steering boxes, transmissions... those are more effected by the quality of mile vs the quantity of miles.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote