Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Re: Cab forward loft and safety lights question.

Quote:
What are the thoughts and opinions of using the round high mounted safety lights as turn signals.
People have reportedly done it and not come to grief. However, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 requires (at least) 2 amber turn signals in the front, and 2 amber or red turn signal in the rear, each 15 to 83 inches above the road. If the turn signals are more than 83 inches above the road, there could be problems, depending on who sees them.

Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go
1st question.Has anyone done a bunk over the drivers area and how did it work?I've seen this a lot on production RVs that I have worked on and I noticed that some busses have a lot of room over the driver and entrance.It also helps that my family and I are shorties.
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find a lot of useful information here.

I haven't done this yet, but I'm planning a roof raise for my pusher, and one thing I'm planning is a loft over the drivers area. As my bus is right now though, if I were to do a loft without a roof raise, people would have to duck real low to enter the rest of the bus.

My plan is to take the roof up 36" (to 13' even), and build a loft over the drivers area. Then, from behind the driver to the rear, create a second floor somewhere in the 18" to 24" range, basically forming a split level setup. Between the real floor and the built floor would be tanks and storage, keeping the center of gravity as low as possible, and also making it easier to keep the tanks warm. A side effect will be the extra clearance for stretching, etc. I will lose some ceiling height because I plan to have a flat ceiling inside, treating the dome area as an attic.

I hope this helps provide some food for thought,
jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I had a folding bunk above the driver for a while -- lengthwise along the left side. It turned out to be quite a nuisance. The driver needs plenty of headroom so he never bumps his head on a bouncy road, and he also needs to be safe from bumping his head when getting in and out of the seat. So I removed that bunk.

With a three foot raise on a pusher bus, it should be doable. But I raised mine only two feet, and I have the engine "dog house" to clamber over.

If you are thinking of putting that bunk across the bus, you may have headroom trouble at the door, even with a big roof-raise.

Maybe you are the type who does not mind ducking once in a while -- specially when you get used to it. But you might regret it when a tall friend comes to visit... and goes down for the count.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote