Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Calling All My Tall People

Anyone over 6ft... did you do a roof raise? Do you regret not doing one?
I’m 6ft and my husband is 6’2”. Our bus has the slightly higher roof. We have about 2-4 inches above our heads but haven’t put in insulation or floors or anything yet. Just trying to get opinions about doing it... don’t want it to be 2 years later and we really regret that we didn’t try to do it. However I will say that we don’t have a hefty supply of tools nor endless money... so is it worth it??

Thanks in advance!

maverick20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick20 View Post
Anyone over 6ft... did you do a roof raise? Do you regret not doing one?
I’m 6ft and my husband is 6’2”. Our bus has the slightly higher roof. We have about 2-4 inches above our heads but haven’t put in insulation or floors or anything yet. Just trying to get opinions about doing it... don’t want it to be 2 years later and we really regret that we didn’t try to do it. However I will say that we don’t have a hefty supply of tools nor endless money... so is it worth it??

Thanks in advance!
So I have a higher roofed Thomas. I'm 75.5" tall, & am not doing a roof raise. Just wanted to share my experience & thoughts so far.

My bus, from the steel floor to the bottom of the rib in the center is 78". A foot from the wall is a couple inches less. My subfloor is 1.5" XPS & 5/8" ply. From the top of the ply to the center of the rib I now have 76". After we put in finish flooring and a ceiling I'll be just able to touch the ceiling with the top of my head, bare footed. I am not at all worried about it. Nobody walks at full height, or at least I don't. I've also worked on boats with lower ceilings my whole career & have learned that after a couple bonks of the head or shoulder, you automatically adjust. I have zero worries about not doing a raise. That doesn't mean I wouldn't do a raise if I wanted to or don't think about it. I just know I"ll be fine with our decision not to, even if I kinda wish we did sometime down the road. After watching several progressions on here I don't think it would be beyond most average skill sets...which is what I consider mine to be. If you are on the fence...research it more! I kinda like the compact nature & simplicity of our bus the way it is. There will be plenty of space to stretch on the outside of the bus!

You ask , is it worth it? I'm sure that few regret doing one...most folks on here seem thrilled that they chose to do one. Except maybe not the one that just had the roof fall during the raise. I feel bad for that guy. I'm sure they'll figure it out.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboater View Post
So I have a higher roofed Thomas. I'm 75.5" tall, & am not doing a roof raise. Just wanted to share my experience & thoughts so far.

My bus, from the steel floor to the bottom of the rib in the center is 78". A foot from the wall is a couple inches less. My subfloor is 1.5" XPS & 5/8" ply. From the top of the ply to the center of the rib I now have 76". After we put in finish flooring and a ceiling I'll be just able to touch the ceiling with the top of my head, bare footed. I am not at all worried about it. Nobody walks at full height, or at least I don't. I've also worked on boats with lower ceilings my whole career & have learned that after a couple bonks of the head or shoulder, you automatically adjust. I have zero worries about not doing a raise. That doesn't mean I wouldn't do a raise if I wanted to or don't think about it. I just know I"ll be fine with our decision not to, even if I kinda wish we did sometime down the road. After watching several progressions on here I don't think it would be beyond most average skill sets...which is what I consider mine to be. If you are on the fence...research it more! I kinda like the compact nature & simplicity of our bus the way it is. There will be plenty of space to stretch on the outside of the bus!

You ask , is it worth it? I'm sure that few regret doing one...most folks on here seem thrilled that they chose to do one. Except maybe not the one that just had the roof fall during the raise. I feel bad for that guy. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Thank you! That is some great input! I also felt like if we wanted to stretch we could just go outside! I’ve just heard so many people wish that they had done the roof raise so that was on my mind. If we had gotten an average height bus, I think we definitely would have had to do it but those extra 3-4” really make a difference. Thanks for you input!
maverick20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
I am 5'8", my bus had about 76" headroom before I raised the roof 10".

Raising the roof adds a perception of space that is surprising. It makes the bus seem much larger inside.

It also makes space for some upper cabinets with nice usable space.

If I were building a weekend camper I probably would not bother but for something that I am going to be living in for months at a time I want to be as comfortable as possible.

That is the great thing about Skoolie's. Each of us gets to build it to suit what each individual wants.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboater View Post

Who is the guy that had the roof fall?? Never heard of this
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Who is the guy that had the roof fall?? Never heard of this
Current thread:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/he...ise-26874.html
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

Raising the roof adds a perception of space that is surprising. It makes the bus seem much larger inside.

It also makes space for some upper cabinets with nice usable space.

Can’t argue with any of what you have to say Steve. The usable cabinet space is what I think we might miss more than the lack of headroom.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I've got a Thomas Saf-T-Liner and I'm 74" tall.Got plenty of headroom.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:13 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
It does indeed. I went to visit ShayMcQuay's roof raise to see how it was done. I was amased how cavernous it made the space.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:50 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
It does indeed. I went to visit ShayMcQuay's roof raise to see how it was done. I was amased how cavernous it made the space.
This is what I copied

I'd be a bit more careful skinning than other folks, though. I see LOTS of oil canning on almost every skin job. Usually its due to using steel that's too thin.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
This is what I copied

I'd be a bit more careful skinning than other folks, though. I see LOTS of oil canning on almost every skin job. Usually its due to using steel that's too thin.
I think this is the 3rd time I've watched these videos and each time I learn something more - a person doesn't always see and understand something the first time around, but as your background knowledge grows, you're able to see subtleties that you didn't pick up on at first - this time around, I paid more attention to how the bus frame sagged after the first cut behind the drivers seat and that could have a bearing on a modification I'd like to do
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I think this is the 3rd time I've watched these videos and each time I learn something more - a person doesn't always see and understand something the first time around, but as your background knowledge grows, you're able to see subtleties that you didn't pick up on at first - this time around, I paid more attention to how the bus frame sagged after the first cut behind the drivers seat and that could have a bearing on a modification I'd like to do
I braced for the front sagging. Didn't experience ANY.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I braced for the front sagging. Didn't experience ANY.
yeah, l figured that's what would have to be done - have all wheels on something solid would likely be best - solid and level
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I am 5'9" and have a 78" roof, this I am happy with.

I have been in standard height buses, including a shorty we just got, and have to say I keep ducking in a standard height bus. So if we build the shorty it will get a roof raise.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I'm 6'1 and we've got a high headroom bus, I think it was 78" from metal floor to ceiling. We've got 1" insulation under 3/4" wood subfloor and wood laminate floor on top of that. Our ceiling is built up by an inch or so. I can walk pretty much the entire bus and not feel uncomfortable, there's around 3 inches of headroom in the center.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #16
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 6.6 LLY Duramax
6'2" here. In the center I have a couple inches and have no problems at all. No roof raise, though I do have a short bus which means not much walking.

Edit: forgot to add I'm using the factory floor.
Epomethius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raise, roof, tall, tall owner