Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Capt, think you would have any luck if you posted a want ad on your local Craigslist and any other local boards looking for a spot of land to park your rig. Maybe someone out there might want to make a little extra $$ to let you park your bus on a piece of their property. If it is a non-developed piece (no water, sewer, etc) you can run off solar, generator, etc and run the rig by a dump station every so often to dump your tanks. Just trying to think creatively.

dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:38 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I have, kind sir. That's where I found one for $450/mo. Besides, Craigslist is greatly overrated. And there are NO tanks currently onboard, save for a 7 gal water jug.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:13 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Cap; Yeah the bus barn idea is something you could probably only get away with on a Friday or Saturday night once in a while, and it's definitely illegal. I'm saying a bus very well might be overlooked in that area of town during a weekend. Not a practical place to park but something I might try in a pinch.

Remote locations are more my theory for parking. If I'm in town I'll either be at the gym or loading up my fridge, and both places have large parking lots where semis also stop.

I honestly wasn't aware that it might cost that much to park in town. When I've considered living in town I usually peruse the really crappy trailer parks, but then again there's your rent. I figure that much rent money could buy a handsome amount of fuel or centrifugal filters. I've heard of people or companies allowing RV's or buses to stay in commercial locations for security purposes. Like I say I don't know your particular circumstances or even where you might be willing to park.
That's a good reason to open a Skookie Park and not allow trailers, campers or RV's.
I shouldn't talk. My bus is at home in my driveway on an old sheep ranch in the coastal mountains of Oregon. That's why I have electric, satellite tv and internet. I'm hoping I don't spend a lot of time here in my driveway, but I'm still securing my furnishings so the fridge doesn't tip over on a logging road. Otherwise I'd have a fridge full of produce and be parked at one of the high mountain lakes and possibly having a fish dinner. While these are popular fishing holes they are not officially parks, but of course people have to set limits to avoid abuse. I think the limit is a week, but you can simply move to another location, not in the same area. It's definitely going to be a learning process for me, and I'm not even dealing with the same size bus you have. I had a 40 footer and that's the only bus I actually traded to get rid of rather than selling it because it was a pain to drive in town or even park.

Some people with enough property will rent you a place to park for a couple hundred a month. Of course I don't know your town or your circumstances. I don't currently have any experience with your parking problem, but then I don't want to be in town for any longer than it takes me to do whatever I need to do there.
I feel for you and can understand you wanting to be in town. If I had been in an isolated location this past winter I wouldn't be here now because I had a couple ambulance rides over the holidays. Aging is... just wrong, but then priorities realign.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Cap, those 55 gallon food grade plastic barrels are only about $10 each. I assume you've got room in that monster of a rig. That's how I fill up my blue wallymart 7 gallon PTE free jug in my fishing "van". I've been wanting to get one of the small hand powered bilge pumps in marine products so no more pouring. In that large of a tank it's good to use a little food grade hydrogen peroxide to keep it sweet, but then city water is already chlorinated for you.
Cap, have you ever been up to that grasshopper glacier?
Old 03-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
If for whatever reason you can make it to Arizona (although in our PMs I realize this is probably not possible) you can get a 7 month permit to camp on long term BLM land for less than $200.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:42 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

thats one of the big disadvantages of a conventional School bus. Theres no way to NOT make it look like a schoolbus. Transit style buses Are Class A motorhomes as soon as you take out all the windows and reskin.
keiffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Just like North Dakota
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Cap, those 55 gallon food grade plastic barrels are only about $10 each. I assume you've got room in that monster of a rig. That's how I fill up my blue wallymart 7 gallon PTE free jug in my fishing "van". I've been wanting to get one of the small hand powered bilge pumps in marine products so no more pouring. In that large of a tank it's good to use a little food grade hydrogen peroxide to keep it sweet, but then city water is already chlorinated for you.
Cap, have you ever been up to that grasshopper glacier?
Never been to Grasshopper Glacier, although GNP is on my bucket list. YNP is too commercialized for me.

I checked on those 55 gal FG barrels. Prices are actually quite nice. Now, if they'll fit in the basement?
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #29
Bus Geek

I'd think the barrels would fit in the basement sideways quite well, even mounted on a small cradle. They are 24" in diameter by 35" high. The white food grade plastic barrels I use for water contained vinegar, the blue barrels contained olive oil and some of the metal drums were used for shipping tomato paste. With a little luck I may find enough room to hang a barrel under my bus, but I don't want to start getting to fancy all of a sudden (plumbing and all). I like it when the barrels have a little residue remaining so I know what was in there.
The canneries shed a lot of food grade barrels each year, at least in my area. People with a big trailer will get them all and then sell them for $10 -$20, depending on the barrel type. For example plastic barrels with screw lids are more expensive, but they work great for dry storage like grains, beans and rice. They also make the perfect pickle barrels or even a large fermenter if you're so inclined.

I've never been to any of the national parks to speak of. That's what this bus is supposed to cure. I was going to make a cycle trip through the parks but I may have waited a few years to long unless I want that to be my last ride. A bus is good. Less sore arse and a lot more comfort.