Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 09:44 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by spwath View Post
Was just going to be something for weekend trips and such, but would be my only vehicle.
I don't believe studded tires are legal here, at least not on main roads.
Maybe ill just have to wait until I can afford to get a 4wd bus made or something interesting like that.

You should probably have a backup vehicle for convenience if you do find one. They are a lot of work to keep up for daily use and short drives will kill a diesel in those conditions. I am not to far from there and winter is long and brutal at times. Some winter driving though is good therapy for me so.. away I go and if it turns dirty out, I stay put where I am, quite comfortably. No need to get anywhere...

John

Old 08-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Good thing I don't plan on pulling the floor then .

Quote:
I don't plan to do a full conversion, just basically a glorified tent. Only going to be using for the next couple years too.

The one thing I am concerned about is if it is reliable enough to be daily driver, and costs on repairs.

Short bus with gas engine......starts easy as a pickup...drives easy as a pickup...... Dual wheels with good "SNOW TIRES", not all season tires will get you around just fine in everything but extreme situations.
Put weight in back over rear axle.........this will greatly improve traction in snow. Carry some tire chains if you are that worried.... Heck...you can get a winch too if you think yer gonna be cruising around in the boonies in snowstorms.

And guess what........... you "CAN" buy solid buses in the rust belt...... I know...I actually live in Ohio and have done that successfully many times......and ya know what....a little rust ain't gonna stop you from "doing what you describe doing".

I do suggest you get a short bus with a gas motor & hydraulic brakes.... Cheaper to maintain and operate. Simple to work on. Start easy in the cold..... much quieter......smell better .....Cheaper to buy..easy to find parts for anywhere.... get fuel anywhere.

4 window ( not counting door) and the "van" body is what you want. I'd stick with the GMC/Chevy small block ones (SUPER RELIABLE).

ENJOY!
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:41 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH777 View Post

Short bus with gas engine......starts easy as a pickup...drives easy as a pickup...... Dual wheels with good "SNOW TIRES", not all season tires will get you around just fine in everything but extreme situations.
Put weight in back over rear axle.........this will greatly improve traction in snow. Carry some chains if you are that worried.... Heck...you can get a winch too if you think yer gonna be cruising around in the boonies in snowstorms.

And guess what........... you "CAN" buy solid buses in the rust belt...... I know...I actually live in Ohio and have done that successfully many times......and ya know what....a little rust ain't gonna stop you from "doing what you describe doing".

I do suggest you get a short bus with a gas motor.... Cheaper to maintain and operate. Simple to work on. Start easy in the cold..... much quieter......smell better .....Cheaper to buy..easy to find parts for anywhere.... get fuel anywhere.

4 window ( not counting door) and the "van" body is what you want. I'd stick with the GMC/Chevy small block ones (SUPER RELIABLE).

ENJOY!
You'd have to look far and wide to find a station that sells gas and not Diesel.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #24
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You'd have to look far and wide to find a station that sells gas and not Diesel.

Not true......... Especially out in the boonies.
But one thing is sure......... ALL STATIONS SELL GASOLINE.
A fact.

Besides....this guy wants a "short bus" and he is not a long haul trucker racking up 1000's of miles weekly...week after week.............. so diesel and it's associated costs, trials & tribulations is 101% completely unneeded and would not be cost effective or better in any way, shape or form "IN REALITY" for --"what he is wanting to do".....or.... "what he is asking for"..

Another fact!

Nuff said..........
Old 08-01-2018, 05:24 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
i did have a surprisingly tough time with diesel on i10 crossing florida earlier this year. 60 gallon tank on this TC2000 and I was concerned about running out of fuel.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Gas engine will warm up quicker in winter which helps defrost time for windshield etc. For short hops that would be much more preferable, diesel is no match there.

John
Old 08-01-2018, 05:28 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Diesel may also need a block heater, especially a non-glow model like my 5.9!
Old 08-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
I actually agree with CH777. Get one like mine. See the link in my signature vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:01 PM   #29
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
I actually agree with CH777. Get one like mine. See the link in my signature vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Yep.... pretty much what I was talking about.

The 5 window ones are good ones as well.

PS.......... more pics in your build thread pleeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzz
Old 08-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:

Not true......... Especially out in the boonies.
But one thing is sure......... ALL STATIONS SELL GASOLINE.
A fact.

Besides....this guy wants a "short bus" and he is not a long haul trucker racking up 1000's of miles weekly...week after week.............. so diesel and it's associated costs, trials & tribulations is 101% completely unneeded and would not be cost effective or better in any way, shape or form "IN REALITY" for --"what he is wanting to do".....or.... "what he is asking for"..

Another fact!

Nuff said..........
Fact is , with so many regular cars running on diesel, that you would have to look far and wide even in the boonies to find a station that doesn't sell diesel. There's not enough profit in gasoline to limit what you offer.
Did you ever find that clause in your insurance?
Old 08-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #31

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Cummions
I had a short but as my only vehicle for 3 years. You can't go through the drive up window at MacDonalds or the bank. You can't put a token in a parking lot gate. And no parking ramps but I did everything else.
lockhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:41 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:

What he said.

Put weight in back over rear axle.........this will greatly improve traction in snow. Carry some tire chains if you are that worried.... Heck...you can get a winch too if you think yer gonna be cruising around in the boonies in snowstorms.

I do suggest you get a short bus with a gas motor & hydraulic brakes.... Cheaper to maintain and operate. Simple to work on. Start easy in the cold..... much quieter......smell better .....Cheaper to buy..easy to find parts for anywhere.... get fuel anywhere.

ENJOY!
What he said.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #33
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Fact is , with so many regular cars running on diesel, that you would have to look far and wide even in the boonies to find a station that doesn't sell diesel. There's not enough profit in gasoline to limit what you offer.
Did you ever find that clause in your insurance?

Say what??? HUH??

2,709 posts in the 7 months you been in this forum!!!

Some rough math = 387 per month = 97.75 per week = 12.9 per day = a lot of time devoted to this forum.

WOW!

Try fishing.... being outside, fresh air, relaxing.... goes a long way to an improved, stress free life.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:

2,709 posts in the 7 months you been in this forum!!!
WOW!

Try fishing.... being outside, fresh air, relaxing.... goes a long way to an improved, stress free life.
He has 2 goals here......5000 posts his first year, and being the first to reply to every single new thread. Don't distract him.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
He has 2 goals here......5000 posts his first year, and being the first to reply to every single new thread. Don't distract him.

To quote Donald Duck, "Pweese don make me waff!"

John
Old 08-01-2018, 09:01 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
That's not Donald...that's Elmer Fudd you wacky wabbit!!!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:05 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
That's not Donald...that's Elmer Fudd you wacky wabbit!!!

I'll stand corrected by an elder statesman with more cartoon hours on him, than I!

Maybe I need Rehab too!

John
Old 08-01-2018, 09:06 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Just here to help.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:06 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
My youth was well spent after all!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:10 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
My youth was well spent after all!

Yes, you spent it well sir. How did I mess that up so bad? Should have been closer attention to the tube I guess.

John