Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Fact is , with so many regular cars running on diesel, that you would have to look far and wide even in the boonies to find a station that doesn't sell diesel. There's not enough profit in gasoline to limit what you offer.
Did you ever find that clause in your insurance?
I have to disagree.

I have had numerous occasions that I had trouble finding a station with diesel when I was on the road.

Not to say that diesel was completely unavailable. It was a matter of wandering about until I found a station with diesel. Sometimes worried about finding fuel before I ran out.

It has been a bigger problem in big cities for me.

One occasion I recall I wound up pulling up to the only diesel pumps I could find at midnight and going to bed. The station was closed and I set my alarm clock for 6:00am to get me up before the station opened.

Free overnight parking.......

Edit: I got to thinking about it and realized that only 40% of the stations in the county that I live sell diesel.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:25 PM   #42
Bus Nut

OP needs to get whatever bus works for him. All future posts should have questions pertaining to both gas and diesel, just to keep the pissing contests going. I feel sure that everyone drive on different streets and find different fuels, and suppliers, on their streets. Deal with it, and get the wads out of your shorts.
Gotta sign off now.......feeling a little gassy. (beats being a little diesel)
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

A short Type 'A' school bus is going to be the same width as a dually pickup but it will be a couple of feet shorter than a dually long bed with a crew cab.

In other words, if you can get in and out of some place with a dually long bed crew cab pickup you can get in and out with a short Type 'A' bus. Being very careful to check overhead clearances of course!

Fuel mileage in the Type 'A' buses with the 6.0L/6L80 transmission is generally in the 11-13 MPG range.

I personally drove buses as daily drivers as long as my business was active. As much as I paid for the logos on the side it didn't do any good for advertising if they stayed parked behind the barn at home.

Driving a bus as a daily driver just requires you to think ahead in regards to parking spaces in the locations you intend to visit. It may require parking out in the back forty and hiking a ways to get to the front door. But other than that I can't imagine any real problems.

As far as driving in the ice and snow, most of the dual rear wheel Type 'A' buses have plenty of weight just from the bus body to give them adequate traction when things get slick. Carrying a set of traction chains are a must as in many states when the "traction devices required" signs go up it means you HAVE to put your traction chains on your bus. The signs usually say "any vehicle with a GVWR of over 10,000 lbs. chains are required"
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:44 AM   #44

40’?

Full size as in 40’?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
I drive our full size almost every day , we use it to tow our concession trailer back and fourth to our spot ,36kms each way. I will take it anywhere around town if I have to get something.
gbstewart
Mavdad is offline   Reply With Quote