Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Re: Capacity and Bus Dimensions

I asked similar questions here once and found that even if 5 buses say 72psg and same bod they won't have the same dimensions.
Find the owner and ask them to do measurements. Only sure way to know.

Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I have found the easiest way to estimate size is by counting windows. The passenger capacities are all over the place.

My 40 ft bus has 15 windows behind the driver. Each window section is slightly less than 2.5 ft wide. 15X2.5 = 37.5 ft . This is very close to what my actual floor space behind the drivers seat is (add 3 ft+/- for driver/bumpers/etc). Mine is a BlueBird All American (front engine/flat nose). That may not work for other bus makes. But when we were looking, we had measured windows in a schoolbus we found parked on a dealer lot. It made a good "rule of thumb" for estimating size. Wheel base also has a great deal to do with handling. We used to have an Eagle Highway coach shell. 40 ft also. The skoolie is the same length, shorter wheel base, longer "rear" overhang (but not so long it drags) and more floor space (Eagle had a rear engine... engine cooling ductwork/air systems/etc. ate up a couple feet of rear space inside).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Counting windows will give you a rough estimate, but different manufacturers use different dimensions. Blue Bird uses 28" and 35", Thomas uses 27.75" and 37.75", AmTran uses 27.5", etc. A difference of an inch in window width can give you a difference of over a foot in bus length.

There's no standard dimension for a bus. Every manufacturer offers a variety of lengths with the same capacities to accommodate customer specs for legroom, extra equipment, sometimes even garage design. It makes it a pain in planning out a conversion, but the best thing to do is wait until you can get actual measurements from the bus you're looking at.

Rated capacities are based on 3 to a seat. Divide by 6 for the number of seat rows, which usually equals the number of windows (plus or minus one, depending on manufacturer). If it's one or two less than a multiple of 6, you have half-seats in the back to allow a wider aisle at the emergency door. The longest buses (after the seating standards in 1977) seat 90, not counting the driver. Before 77, some mid-engine models in California were built to hold 97. Most flat-nose (Type D) buses are built to hold 72 or 78. If you want to maximize your floor space, go for an 84 or 90 passenger.

Another example of a weird option: my bus was a 72 passenger built in a 78 pass body. Rear-engine buses usually have a rear pushout window and a left side emergency door. Sometimes they put a flip-seat by the side door, but mine had no seat there and extra legroom on the right. Long story short, the only way to know for sure is to measure the actual bus.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver_phil
.. Long story short, the only way to know for sure is to measure the actual bus.
Weren't we a lot of help!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #5

inches from floor to bottom of standard window

what about the measurement from the floor to the bottom of the standard window ?? i define a "standard window" as the window that comes with the bus and no customizations ..

i am curious because i want to know how my kitchen counter will compare at the standard 36" ..

thanks,
greg
gkspranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Those 36" cabinet will cover some of the windows at the bottom. Not to worry, though. That part of the window doesn't open.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #7

thanks !! qik follow up -- but we talking 2" of cover, 4", 6", 12" ?? and while i have you ;P how big is that standard window -- height wise ?? i've read 30" width -- but not sure if anyone has mentioned height ..

thanks again -- just want to make sure i plan properly ..
gkspranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Can't give you a standard window dimension because, as was stated earlier, all have different widths. As for height, you're looking, again, at different coverages. Each coach manufacturer use different sized windows. I have a Thomas HDX. I have 4'x8'x insulation panels turned on their sides for insulation. They fit nicely between the seat rail and the top cable run.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote