Old 04-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #1

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 370
Rated Cap: 66
Carburator replacement 81'gas

New Member! 1981 Ford B700 Bluebird 370 2v GAS HOG!

I just bought the Skoolie so have plenty of questions. Thanks in advance for your responses!

I took out the carburator last week to replace the accelerator pump. I decided that since I have it out I would replace the carburator altogether with a replacement 2 barrel. I was told that a Holley 4412 will fit so it is ordered and has shipped. I am also going to do plugs, wires, cap and rotor also. I wanted to see if anyone had advice or tips on installing the new carb and how I can tune it. I was also going to see if any of you can recommend a tachometer since they dont offer one with a govenor anymore.

Also, I was wondering if it would be worth replacing the fuel pump as long as I am in there anyway? I think the pump is fine but figured it could be proactive to raplace it now since its 30 years old. Can anybody tell me how complex this job is and if it is possible for a non motor head like me to install or would I need a mechanic?

Another thing I am considering is changing to an open air filter? Any experience or plus minus to this?
109lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Carburator replacement 81'gas

For carb, just do normal fuel and air mix adjustments after it is installed. check carb base gasket for leaks after it is running, with some wd40 or carb cleaner or something to see if the motor rev's up- which means it is leaking.
also, be sure to adjust timing as well.
Just buy something like a 30 dollar electric tach on ebay.
If you go and buy a low pressure electric fuel pump from the parts house - a generic one - you can put it inline in the fuel line, and when your mechanical one goes bad, or you want to pump gas to the carb while checking it, you just turn on the electric one. They usually cost less than $30, and ya gotta wire in a switch or have it hooked it ig on position. I imagine the bus takes a 8-10 lb one or so... dont buy or use something like a 40-60 or so lb one which is made for fuel injection systems.
An aftermarket air cleaner will work fine, and be less bulky than the stock one.
just my two cents worth.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Goshen
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 25
Send a message via AIM to Stuff Send a message via MSN to Stuff

yup be careful with electric pump. local roofing company had an old Intersmashable with an electric add on. horrible mileage and would "die out" turns out it was flooding out.. filled crank case with fuel!

My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/thestuffz
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

I have talked to a couple mechanics and am on the fence about switching from a 350 cfm to a 500 cfm. Overall I am getting mixed responses. One said that the 500 will not only be more fuel inefficiant but also may not help my engine to perform at its best based on the fact that the engine was made for a 350cfm. They said also that since the new carb would not have a governer I would need to add a tachometer (which I knew) but having multiple drivers, like I will, is a risky venture without the help of a governer. One of them also said the governer will help to give a balanced and more gentle throtle up.

So I am wondering if I should just stick with the 14 year old Holley and rebuild it or Put in the new 500 CFM Holley? Anyone have any experience with this and know the plus minus?
Old 04-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #5

Update.....Ithink I am going to go the way of the rebuild. I called Holley directly and they said a Holley 3-1212 rebuild kit will work for the eote-9510-PA Part #8820. If I was to replace the carb they highly recommended I stay with a 350cfm so in this case that would be the 00-7448 or 65-7448 but would have to put a tach on. They couldnt specificly reccomend a non governor because of legal issues I guess. Just FYI as I know finding this stuff is a huge pain. Hopefully this info can help the next guy.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Pull the carb off, put on an Impco propane system and enjoy the lower price of propane compared to gasoline. I have that same exact engine running on propane and I couldn't imagine paying the price of gasoline with the incredibly 'great' fuel economy that engine gets.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote