Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Cargo storage/distribution

I earlier suggested putting all of our moving van cargo in the far back, and was corrected gently.

How 'bout this? (Conventional Bus)
  • Mount a chair for my dear wife just behind the steps, with a fold-down footrest over the steps.
  • Keep wife from overheating using air flow and water mist.
  • For a kitchen, a shelf from wife's left shoulder across to behind the driver with a 5 g freshwater behind the driver above the shelf, and a cooler and a camp stove and 5g grey water tank stored under it. Use a dishpan for a sink.
  • Build a full wall behind her chair and as a back wall to the 'kitchen', with stout connection between a couple of 2x4 braces and the chair rail on either side in case I need to make a fast stop.
  • Pack in all of our earthly belongings behind it. Maybe bag the piano to reduce humidity problems?
  • Build another such wall just behind the back wheel wells.
  • Just behind this cargo wall, add long twin bunk beds crossways.
  • Might have a foot of room to between head of top bunk and side wall to allow hanging a few items of clothing.
  • Add a vented sawdust/kittylitter bucket head with privacy screen in one back corner of the bus, and a tiny closet/dresser in the other back corner.
  • Add a variety of 12v computer fans for cooling at night, and maybe buy a tiny propane heater for cool weather (Little Buddy Heater)
  • Build a fold-down stairway or similar which we could use to climb up into the back emergency exit door for the night.
Thoughts? All of the weight to speak of would be between the wheels, which is better than before. We would need to climb out of the cabin and around to the back for the night, but the object is to move our stuff and hit a few national parks along the way, rather than full-time it.

Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That sounds like about the best way to put the majority of your weight, between the axles. It will drive much better and you'll have a safer trip. As a very young man I remember having trucks loaded so heavily that the front wheels would come off the ground, and you couldn't steer. Looking back I'm positive those tire dates were expired on those trucks to. Those tires qualified because they held air.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote