Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #1

Year: 2001
carpet padding insulation?

I found a place near my house that has lots of carpet padding available for free .. wondering if anyone has tried that for insulation in the walls/ floors/ ceiling and how it worked?

I'm pulling up the floors now and was considering putting it against the metal floor with plywood on top and replacing the fiberglass insulation in the walls and or ceiling with it.

rescarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
I am assuming it is rebond foam pad. I wouldn't use it I have removed it in some of the houses I have flipped and the pad has hardened and deteriorated and that is in a fairly protected environment under carpet in a skoolie it would be exposed to extreme heat if used as insulation between the steel bus skin and the finished wall.If it is new pad however layers of it make fairly decent upholstery padding.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescarce View Post
I found a place near my house that has lots of carpet padding available for free .. wondering if anyone has tried that for insulation in the walls/ floors/ ceiling and how it worked?

I'm pulling up the floors now and was considering putting it against the metal floor with plywood on top and replacing the fiberglass insulation in the walls and or ceiling with it.
It's foam rubber...and will hold water

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It's been said before. This is why we don't insulate our buses with sponges. Sponges are open cell, if you can call it that, allowing them to suck up water by design.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #5

Year: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
I am assuming it is rebond foam pad. I wouldn't use it I have removed it in some of the houses I have flipped and the pad has hardened and deteriorated and that is in a fairly protected environment under carpet in a skoolie it would be exposed to extreme heat if used as insulation between the steel bus skin and the finished wall.If it is new pad however layers of it make fairly decent upholstery padding.
Thanks! Ill skip it for insulation, probably will use some for seat cushions though
rescarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
In my first bus I used it under the carpet and it was nice for a year or two until I got it wet and muddy on a few trips. I'm putting off ripping it out but it needs it.

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation