Old 09-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

CDL or CDL-B??

So my boyfriend was talking to our trucker neighbor about my Skoolie and the neighbor said that Michigan requires anyone with an RV or Skoolie with air brakes to have a CDL or CDL-B at minimum. Can anyone confirm this?? I'm literally driving the bus home cross country as we speak. I really don't want to get in trouble!!
khelek41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by khelek41 View Post
So my boyfriend was talking to our trucker neighbor about my Skoolie and the neighbor said that Michigan requires anyone with an RV or Skoolie with air brakes to have a CDL or CDL-B at minimum. Can anyone confirm this?? I'm literally driving the bus home cross country as we speak. I really don't want to get in trouble!!
Don't hit anything and don't break any other laws and you will be fine. Play the dumb female- got my old lady out of a ticket yesterday.

CDL class at community college is good idea and a blast. They let you play with semi trucks

Bus needs CDL, RV doesn't - usually. Do not know why, however....Old folks in 42' triple-slide, dragging a toad....
Old 09-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24 + 3 wheel chairs.
I would call them and ask -

Department of State (MI) Information Center toll-free number: 888-SOS-MICH; 888-767-6424; Staffed Monday through Friday 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Don't hit anything and don't break any other laws and you will be fine. Play the dumb female- got my old lady out of a ticket yesterday.

CDL class at community college is good idea and a blast. They let you play with semi trucks

Bus needs CDL, RV doesn't - usually. Do not know why, however....Old folks in 42' triple-slide, dragging a toad....
If the bus is designated as an RV on the title, do you still need the CDL? Thanks.
khelek41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by khelek41 View Post
If the bus is designated as an RV on the title, do you still need the CDL? Thanks.
Usually not, but someone gave you official numbers if you want official answer.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Rated Cap: 14
Well, that's the thing. CDL stands for "COMMERCIAL Drivers License", and your use of the bus is *NOT* commercial (presumably). Your well-meaning neighbor needs to go back to driving school and get some learnin'. Now, that said, some states might require a Class B (non-CDL, and yes, that's actually a thing in many states). I understand Canada requires an air-brake endorsement if your bus has them (or at least one province though I can't remember which). Most officers won't bother a retired school bus unless you're doing something to attract their attention.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Now, that said, some states might require a Class B (non-CDL, and yes, that's actually a thing in many states).
This is the case in Illinois. I passed the written test and got my permit, but when I asked the lovely clerk at the DMV if I could rent a U-haul truck to take the driver's portion of the test I was informed that I could only take it in a Non-Commercial vehicle of the appropriate weight class. She basically told me (off the record, naturally) to get the bus back from Colorado and take the test at my convenience.

Michigan may well have the same Class B non-commercial designation for vehicles over 26,000lbs.
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Rated Cap: 14
*MOST* states have exemptions specifically for RV's/motorhomes (and our buses are "motorhomes", since they are self propelled). This is why older folks can drive around an enormous behemoth on a Class C license in most states. However, no one will fault you for going ahead and getting the Class B and it should keep the cops happy.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #9
Skoolie

Those of you that insist on getting a CDL are seriously nuts. You realize that as a CDL holder you are subject to lower tolerance for speeding. Higher fines. Points on your license for any infractions. You are then part of a nationwide database and anytime you get in an accident you are required to take a drug test no matter the level of the accident.
Gypsy Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Clipper View Post
Those of you that insist on getting a CDL are seriously nuts. You realize that as a CDL holder you are subject to lower tolerance for speeding. Higher fines. Points on your license for any infractions. You are then part of a nationwide database and anytime you get in an accident you are required to take a drug test no matter the level of the accident.
It's not a test of your skills. It's a way to monitor commercial drivers that choose to carry more than one license because they have done things that limit their chances of getting jobs for better companies. Used to be prior to the CDL if a driver had too many violation's in one state they could just change their state of residence and hide. Now with all drivers in a nationwide database that is no longer an option.
Gypsy Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote