Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

CDL or CDL-B??

So my boyfriend was talking to our trucker neighbor about my Skoolie and the neighbor said that Michigan requires anyone with an RV or Skoolie with air brakes to have a CDL or CDL-B at minimum. Can anyone confirm this?? I'm literally driving the bus home cross country as we speak. I really don't want to get in trouble!!

khelek41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by khelek41 View Post
So my boyfriend was talking to our trucker neighbor about my Skoolie and the neighbor said that Michigan requires anyone with an RV or Skoolie with air brakes to have a CDL or CDL-B at minimum. Can anyone confirm this?? I'm literally driving the bus home cross country as we speak. I really don't want to get in trouble!!
Don't hit anything and don't break any other laws and you will be fine. Play the dumb female- got my old lady out of a ticket yesterday.

CDL class at community college is good idea and a blast. They let you play with semi trucks

Bus needs CDL, RV doesn't - usually. Do not know why, however....Old folks in 42' triple-slide, dragging a toad....
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I would call them and ask -

Department of State (MI) Information Center toll-free number: 888-SOS-MICH; 888-767-6424; Staffed Monday through Friday 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Don't hit anything and don't break any other laws and you will be fine. Play the dumb female- got my old lady out of a ticket yesterday.

CDL class at community college is good idea and a blast. They let you play with semi trucks

Bus needs CDL, RV doesn't - usually. Do not know why, however....Old folks in 42' triple-slide, dragging a toad....
If the bus is designated as an RV on the title, do you still need the CDL? Thanks.
khelek41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by khelek41 View Post
If the bus is designated as an RV on the title, do you still need the CDL? Thanks.
Usually not, but someone gave you official numbers if you want official answer.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Well, that's the thing. CDL stands for "COMMERCIAL Drivers License", and your use of the bus is *NOT* commercial (presumably). Your well-meaning neighbor needs to go back to driving school and get some learnin'. Now, that said, some states might require a Class B (non-CDL, and yes, that's actually a thing in many states). I understand Canada requires an air-brake endorsement if your bus has them (or at least one province though I can't remember which). Most officers won't bother a retired school bus unless you're doing something to attract their attention.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Now, that said, some states might require a Class B (non-CDL, and yes, that's actually a thing in many states).
This is the case in Illinois. I passed the written test and got my permit, but when I asked the lovely clerk at the DMV if I could rent a U-haul truck to take the driver's portion of the test I was informed that I could only take it in a Non-Commercial vehicle of the appropriate weight class. She basically told me (off the record, naturally) to get the bus back from Colorado and take the test at my convenience.

Michigan may well have the same Class B non-commercial designation for vehicles over 26,000lbs.
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
*MOST* states have exemptions specifically for RV's/motorhomes (and our buses are "motorhomes", since they are self propelled). This is why older folks can drive around an enormous behemoth on a Class C license in most states. However, no one will fault you for going ahead and getting the Class B and it should keep the cops happy.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #9
Skoolie

Those of you that insist on getting a CDL are seriously nuts. You realize that as a CDL holder you are subject to lower tolerance for speeding. Higher fines. Points on your license for any infractions. You are then part of a nationwide database and anytime you get in an accident you are required to take a drug test no matter the level of the accident.
Gypsy Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Clipper View Post
Those of you that insist on getting a CDL are seriously nuts. You realize that as a CDL holder you are subject to lower tolerance for speeding. Higher fines. Points on your license for any infractions. You are then part of a nationwide database and anytime you get in an accident you are required to take a drug test no matter the level of the accident.
It's not a test of your skills. It's a way to monitor commercial drivers that choose to carry more than one license because they have done things that limit their chances of getting jobs for better companies. Used to be prior to the CDL if a driver had too many violation's in one state they could just change their state of residence and hide. Now with all drivers in a nationwide database that is no longer an option.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
My 2c, Ca says RV's under 40 ft normal Class C will do, over 40ft Class B endorsement req. My 38 ft Crown has air brakes & when I asked the CHP Officer doing my paperwork if I needed the Class B endorsement he said no. But when I start traveling I will proably get the endorsement.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
First post, so please be nice

As I understand it, CDL regulations are Federal, and there is an exemption for Motor Homes of any weight.

So if your vehicle is titled as a MH, you are good to go on a regular license ... in EVERY state ... because the regs are federal.

This has one caveat. States are allowed to require an additional endorsement for air-brakes, but it is an endorsement on a regular license, not a CDL.

Some states insist, and some don't.

ps ... The regs governing you are those that apply in your home state, not the state you are driving in. Don't expect a traffic cop in North Dakota to understand the regulations applying to an Oklahoma license. Sometimes it pays to keep a copy of the federal statute handy.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:34 AM   #13
Skoolie

Do any of you asking about a CDL understand it stands for Commercial Drivers License. Commercial meaning you drive for a living....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comm...'s_license
Old 09-22-2017, 02:39 AM   #14
Skoolie

Here's another article to help explain this question.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:40 AM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Here's another article to help explain this question.
https://www.outdoorsy.co/blog/guide-...-requirements/
Old 09-22-2017, 04:10 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I totally agree with this!
I've passed up a LOT of good driving jobs in my life.
Too much liability. A buddy of mine used to drive a tour bus for bands in the 90's. He got into a fender bender in his car off-duty and was drug tested. He lost his license for quite a while.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #17
Skoolie

THANK YOU! I knew there was someone out there that understood why commercial license is bad! I retired in 2005 and voluntarily exchanged my current CDL for a standard drivers license. No one needs the added headache. Plus the job BLOWS!
Old 09-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Soooo.... take the class and skip the license?

Hey this is fun. Missed 5 question, never driven or worked on air brakes, lol. I'm ready!

https://m.driving-tests.org/indiana/...r-brakes-test/

Oh and welcome to the forum Twigg!
INanMT-Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by INanMT-Bus View Post
Soooo.... take the class and skip the license?

Hey this is fun. Missed 5 question, never driven or worked on air brakes, lol. I'm ready!

https://m.driving-tests.org/indiana/...r-brakes-test/

Oh and welcome to the forum Twigg![emoji2]
Are you just looking for a fight? Unless your rig is over 45,000 lbs air brakes or not YOU DON'T NEED A CDL IN INDIANA!
Old 09-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Are you just looking for a fight? Unless your rig is over 45,000 lbs air brakes or not YOU DON'T NEED A CDL IN INDIANA!
I'm in Indiana and did aLOT of research on this (see my build thread). I even contacted the Commercial Motor Enforcement division of the Indiana State Patrol.

First, I am not a lawyer. Second, if you are driving for purely personal reasons, you do not need a CDL (no making money from driving the rig, directly or indirectly) - no matter what you are driving (it could be a dump truck). Third, you are in a bit of a gray area legally, some cops will accept it, some won't. Fourth, because of third, I will be keeping my correspondence with the ISP in my bus no matter what.

Fifth, its still a good idea to follow those lower speed limits in such big vehicles as those laws are written to subject the vehicle (i.e. longer stopping distance, etc.). It really is safer that way, and it has the side effect of not calling undue attention to yourself.

I have no desire to be subject to the federal rules and guidelines w.r.t. CDL even though my bus is titled as a bus. I don't want to mess with how my vehicle is titled as I don't know how my insurance provider will take it. But I'm still converting it.... I fully disclosed what I was doing to my insurance provider when I contracted for the insurance, and so far my provider hasn't canceled me (its been about 6 months now).

BTW, my rig is 51,000lbs GVWR....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote