Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2017, 09:06 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9l
Rated Cap: 78
ceiling/floor for most headroom

hey guys, im just curious on what your thoughts on for the best ceiling/ floors combo for the most head room. what my plan is is to insulate the ceiling with spray foam, sand down the spray foam to be flush with the ceiling braces and then glue a vinyl ceiling to braces/insulation.

next is the floor, my idea is to take 1/4 inch insulation and 1/4 plywood both glued to the floor with laminate flooring. with a thin vapor barrier.

i am going to be living out of this bus and would like to keep the maximum amount of headroom.

PAKYAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I think that spray foam insulation is a great idea.

I had my last bus insulated that way and was very happy with the results. I also ground it down even with the framing members to accommodate the ceiling. Well...even may be an exaggeration. I was not able to get it close to even enough to apply finish ceiling material to. I attached 1x4's, longitudinally, to the roof frame then plywood and finally the finish material. I used Ozite on that bus.

Regarding ceiling height, it depends on how tall you are and what you want. I am only 5'8" so I have little concern about hitting my head. I raised the roof anyway and I will be raising the roof on my new bus also. Why? The higher ceiling gives the impression of much more space. I spent time in other people's buses identical to mine except for the roof raise and the difference was substantial. The higher ceiling made it feel so much more roomy inside.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

the only thing im really worried about is the long term lasting of glueing the material over nail/screwing it. and im 5'9 and have quite a bit of headroom now, but the more headroom i can get the better it will be.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

i am also trying to make the bus as light as possible (to maybe give me a placebo of better fuel economy)