Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 6.0L V8
Rated Cap: 72
Ceiling Rib Strength

I was curious.. How many of us have attached things to the ceiling?

I've got some ideas floating around in my strange little head , and I wanna know yall's experience with what the max weight the ribs in the ceiling can with stand..

Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Re: Ceiling Rib Strength

They are a 11 gauge, press formed, then roll formed arch. Arches are some of the strongest structures on earth.

As long as the rib is still riveted into the bus structure, it can easily take 500 pounds. If the inner skin is still on the ceiling, it will be even stronger.

Some folks remove every second rib at the window openings to make room for larger windows. I have even seen a few right from Blue Bird done this way.

Depending what you have in mind, the method of mounting may become the weak link. Please share what you have in mind. We will do our best to point you in the right direction.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I'm thinking of a hanging bed.. Like a queen size mattress on a flat piece of plywood with 2x4s or maybe 4x4s for extra support, and a thick rope tied to each corner. The pulleys would be attached to the ribs in the ceiling and the ropes would run through these pulleys to raise and lower the bed platform.

I don't know what the best way to attach the pulleys to the ceiling

Or how I would rig it so I could pull only one rope and the platform would raise level,

then anchor it to a cleat (like a boat would tie to at a dock)

Kinda like this...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 12-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

..then I can still use the back door
Old 12-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Nice idea.

When you pull the wiring chase from above the windows, there are a bunch of bolts around 1|2 inch. They run horizontally, and are located in the strongest spot on the inside of the roof, right where the strait sides meet the curved top. I would use them as your anchor points.

I would use formed steel, riveted together for your bed frame if you can. It will be much lighter, and stronger than wood. Formed steel is sheered and bent using a brake. Same or more strength than chanal and angle iron you can buy, with only 25% to 50% of the weight. One other member built all his inside walls, counters, cupboards, ect this way.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 01-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

I've got one of those in my trailer. I just fastened the pulleys to the ribs with sheet metal screws. The ribs on that trailer are no where near as strong as the ones in our buses. It's a single bunk made of plywood.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
Bus Geek

I guess I should have asked if the pulleys will be holding the body weight of a person, or just the bed? Does it drop down onto legs when in the sleeping position?

I had visions of the weight of two people having the ultimate workout together on that bed.

Nat

Old 01-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I plan on having it rest on some supports, just like the picture. And only having the blankets and pillows on the bed while its up.

Also when it's in the raised position I want it to fit snug into the ceiling to where the bottom of the platform it flush with where the wiring chase is.