Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
Almost There

Cell Phone Providers

I'm currently with a prepaid service because I've never really gone outside of Iowa much. Generally, not outside of my County for that matter.

Now that I'll be traveling full time and I'll be just about anywhere and everywhere; I'm wondering who has thoughts on the best coverage. I'm going to be switching from pre-paid to post-paid because of the obvious tower priorities between the two.

Any thoughts or opinions on what provider you'd recommend? My guess is the biggest two will be Verizon and Sprint. Just thought I'd get some takes from others out on the road already. TIA!

msearslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I can tell you that in my little corner of the world Verizon service is far superior to Sprint. I think that is fairly common in rural areas of the Western US.

Brokedown is the man to ask. He recently completed a tour around the country carrying phones/devices from multiple carriers.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I can tell you that in my little corner of the world Verizon service is far superior to Sprint. I think that is fairly common in rural areas of the Western US.

Brokedown is the man to ask. He recently completed a tour around the country carrying phones/devices from multiple carriers.
Hey thanks, Steve!

I read a bunch online lasterday, and it seems Verizon keeps coming up far and away as the leader. I'm not sure if I came across any consumer or professional expert reports that didn't have the same findings.

Think I'll go with Verizon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Need to get Cadillac to chime in here. He travels/works all over the US and his livelihood is somewhat dependent on his connectivity. Plus...he just really knows this stuff.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #5
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Need to get Cadillac to chime in here. He travels/works all over the US and his livelihood is somewhat dependent on his connectivity. Plus...he just really knows this stuff.
Would love to hear any feedback! Send em over!

Old 03-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by msearslive View Post
Hey thanks, Steve!

I read a bunch online lasterday, and it seems Verizon keeps coming up far and away as the leader. I'm not sure if I came across any consumer or professional expert reports that didn't have the same findings.

Think I'll go with Verizon.

When we chose a provider a few years back Verizon had by far the most coverage of the US. In certain areas, it's not the best, but if you are traveling it was. They all have coverage maps on their websites. I'd check those at least and see if one aligns better with the areas you are more likely to spend the most time in. Verizon IS expensive, but it's critical for my husband's ability to be able to work so it's worth it for us.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
When we chose a provider a few years back Verizon had by far the most coverage of the US. In certain areas, it's not the best, but if you are traveling it was. They all have coverage maps on their websites. I'd check those at least and see if one aligns better with the areas you are more likely to spend the most time in. Verizon IS expensive, but it's critical for my husband's ability to be able to work so it's worth it for us.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I very much agree on the expensive part. Haha! I can pay half at Sprint apparently but it seems to me that Verizon has the lead on the coverage.

I'm only paying $35 a month with my prepaid and it does just fine but that's here locally in Iowa where I live and not far outside of this area at all.

Thanks for the input and suggestion!

Old 03-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
Skoolie

The 2 biggest carriers in the CONUS are AT&T and Verizon. Sprint comes in a distant third. They both have considerable dead zones throughout the country. AT&T covers for the most part where Verizon doesn't and vice versa...

In my experience travelling throughout Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Oregon, Nevada, Washington etc.... AT&T has had coverage on my phone, far more often than my Verizon carrying co travellers. However, there are big swaths, particularly in Oregon where Verizon covers that AT&T just won't catch signal...

I should mention, price them up. Verizon is insane on cost. If I had to go with Verizon, I'd likely drop cellular entirely. Just too expensive.
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote