Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Talking Center Aisle or Side Aisle floor design? Need Pros and Cons

Okay Skoolies...

Getting a skoolie layout together in 3D and can't seem to decide if a center aisle design works better than a side aisle design or even a "maze" style floor design.

Want to hear pros and cons for all you guys out there living the dream!

Nothing But The Best,

RR

ReconcilingRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If you're short you can put it anywhere you like.
I prefer down the center. No wheel wells to climb over too.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Biggest issue is height. Most people can't stand upright if the aisle is down one side of the bus. That's why center aisle is predominant. Stand in a bus and see for your self. Every person is different, and some busses have taller ceilings.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If you're short you can put it anywhere you like.
I prefer down the center. No wheel wells to climb over too.
I'm quite the shorty at a staggering 5' 1" lol. I'm trying to be as innovative and thoughtful as possible with water tank storage and being able to "hide" solar/power/water/AC components within the layout.

Thank you for the advice!
Old 02-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Biggest issue is height. Most people can't stand upright if the aisle is down one side of the bus. That's why center aisle is predominant. Stand in a bus and see for your self. Every person is different, and some busses have taller ceilings.

Thank you. I am a towering 5' 1" lol. So I am hoping once I walk through a conversion it will just click.

Do you have any opinion on if the symmterical center aisle offers more storage space or "concealment" abilities for utility components?
Old 02-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconcilingRoamer View Post
I'm quite the shorty at a staggering 5' 1" lol. I'm trying to be as innovative and thoughtful as possible with water tank storage and being able to "hide" solar/power/water/AC components within the layout.

Thank you for the advice!
If you ever have anyone else in the bus they may appreciate the headroom.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If you ever have anyone else in the bus they may appreciate the headroom.
That is very true. I will have to weigh all the options! Thank you for your insight!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
I'm just outside of the upstate in Rock Hill. I've gotten my seats out and put the flooring in, everything else is stock (ceiling, walls, etc).

If you're not too far in the mountains (don't want to test the 545 with mountains just yet) I can ride up and you can see what works for you in terms of aisle location. I've got 72" headroom (the absolute minimum), and at 5' 10" I've set my max aisle location to just under the stock lighting running down the bus, about 1 1/2 feet from the wall. Any closer and I start to hit my head on things.

If you're 5' 1" you won't have any problem with a wall aisle on a low height bus.

While it may be annoying for taller friends/family, wall aisles allow for a much larger rooms (if you decide to go that route) and if not, then much larger open spaces that are not interrupted by thoroughfares.

One thing I'd suggest in the floorplan stage - take a look at trains, specifically passenger trains. They have minimal space as well, and some I've seen have gotten creative with their layouts. Especially the bedrooms and lounges as they have a moderate amount of "reconfiguration" - ie the bed can turn into a chair and table.

Another suggesting is making floorplans out the wazoo. Always nice to have multiple options/references, since Murphy will always make sure something doesn't fit "just" right. Right now I'm likely going to implement a floorplan I had for a TC2000 transit for my dognose.

Dorian Proctor on Sketchup Warehouse has some amazing and accurate sketchup models that I used. You have to scale them down, but once that is done they are nearly 100% accurate in everything - windows, wheel wells, doors, etc.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I started out center, and haven't changed anything....
But I am considering side aisle, because I like the way the kitchen & bathroom finishes out in the designs I've seen. And the rear bathroom wall would make better mounting flat screen.

examples:

Old 02-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminusprime View Post
I'm just outside of the upstate in Rock Hill. I've gotten my seats out and put the flooring in, everything else is stock (ceiling, walls, etc).

If you're not too far in the mountains (don't want to test the 545 with mountains just yet) I can ride up and you can see what works for you in terms of aisle location. I've got 72" headroom (the absolute minimum), and at 5' 10" I've set my max aisle location to just under the stock lighting running down the bus, about 1 1/2 feet from the wall. Any closer and I start to hit my head on things.

If you're 5' 1" you won't have any problem with a wall aisle on a low height bus.

While it may be annoying for taller friends/family, wall aisles allow for a much larger rooms (if you decide to go that route) and if not, then much larger open spaces that are not interrupted by thoroughfares.

One thing I'd suggest in the floorplan stage - take a look at trains, specifically passenger trains. They have minimal space as well, and some I've seen have gotten creative with their layouts. Especially the bedrooms and lounges as they have a moderate amount of "reconfiguration" - ie the bed can turn into a chair and table.

Another suggesting is making floorplans out the wazoo. Always nice to have multiple options/references, since Murphy will always make sure something doesn't fit "just" right. Right now I'm likely going to implement a floorplan I had for a TC2000 transit for my dognose.

Dorian Proctor on Sketchup Warehouse has some amazing and accurate sketchup models that I used. You have to scale them down, but once that is done they are nearly 100% accurate in everything - windows, wheel wells, doors, etc.
You are a gem! Thank you! This was some great info! I am about 2 1/2 hrs from Rock Hill. I'll have to get with you and throw around some ideas! Do you have Instagram or Facebook?
Old 02-05-2019, 01:41 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
I started out center, and haven't changed anything....
But I am considering side aisle, because I like the way the kitchen & bathroom finishes out in the designs I've seen. And the rear bathroom wall would make better mounting flat screen.

examples:

YYEESSSS!!! The Center aisles are visually pleasing and feel like a good use of space but the bottom picture you posted is what I have been drooling over for weeks now. I love the Mayes Team bus! Hopefully at the GA Tiny House festival I will be able to walk through a few different conversions and get a good idea! Thank you for sharing!
Old 02-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconcilingRoamer View Post
YYEESSSS!!! The Center aisles are visually pleasing and feel like a good use of space but the bottom picture you posted is what I have been drooling over for weeks now. I love the Mayes Team bus! Hopefully at the GA Tiny House festival I will be able to walk through a few different conversions and get a good idea! Thank you for sharing!
you're welcome.
Don't forget your holding tanks and fuel tank (2 fuel tanks in my case)will dictate where your plumbing will run... ie: right side of bus or left
Hard to cross over drive shaft & frame

when you visit the Tiny House festival... be sure to ask about their tank placements
Old 02-05-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
We did center isle. The kitchen just feels right that way as you can stand in one spot and just turn around to get to everything.

Our water tank is on the right side opposite of the sink and bathroom. grey and black are under the bathroom. I routed out the threshold between the kitchen and back bedroom to allow the water line(1/2" pex) to cross over.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:05 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I routed out the threshold between the kitchen and back bedroom to allow the water line(1/2" pex) to cross over.
And here I thought we were the only people who did that!

Great minds think alike.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Engine: CAT 3126
I love the Mayes Team bus and a bunch of others that have the L-shaped kitchen! However, whenever I do my floor plan in Sketchup, I just can't fit everything in with the L-shape that I can with the center aisle. It just makes sense for me to have the center aisle. I think for the longer buses it definitely works. I have just under 29' from the driver's seat and engine to work with after insulating the walls.
RoadsideJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Millicent is still center aisle, but I am considering changing over to side aisle so I can have a queen bed on the ground floor.

I cannot have a queen bed across the back, because of the cargo compartment and tail-gate. And I am not giving up the door between the living area and the cargo compartment.

Of course, the ceiling is already two feet higher than originally.

So, RR... that is my minor contribution to this brainstorming session -- think of the largest item you need room for.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9L 6BT / MT643
Rated Cap: 26
Thanks for asking, I have this very same question. I'm drawn the one side design, but was wondering if that causes any issues with weight distribution?

(I have a 30' FE transit style Thomas, that will recieve an 18-21" roof raise)
NovaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #18
Bus Nut

How tall are you? Center isle will be best if you are over 5’8”.
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #19
Skoolie

I prefer the side aisle do the better utilization of the open space you create in a bus in a bus interior design that you get with a side aisle.

It only takes a couple of times to remind you of the lower ceiling height along the walls and then you always remember!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #20
Almost There

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 (3904 RE)
Engine: Cummins 8.3TA
Rated Cap: 84
I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm planning a roof raise on mine (I'm 5'11" and my roof is 6'2", and I need better insulation) but kinda like the side-isle idea as it keeps my bathroom design contained and means only one fan needed instead of two. But as you get farther back, unless you have a flat-front bus, you will need to deal with a rear wheel well.
synestine is offline   Reply With Quote