Old 02-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Talking Center Aisle or Side Aisle floor design? Need Pros and Cons

Okay Skoolies...

Getting a skoolie layout together in 3D and can't seem to decide if a center aisle design works better than a side aisle design or even a "maze" style floor design.

Want to hear pros and cons for all you guys out there living the dream!

Nothing But The Best,

RR
ReconcilingRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If you're short you can put it anywhere you like.
I prefer down the center. No wheel wells to climb over too.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Biggest issue is height. Most people can't stand upright if the aisle is down one side of the bus. That's why center aisle is predominant. Stand in a bus and see for your self. Every person is different, and some busses have taller ceilings.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If you're short you can put it anywhere you like.
I prefer down the center. No wheel wells to climb over too.
I'm quite the shorty at a staggering 5' 1" lol. I'm trying to be as innovative and thoughtful as possible with water tank storage and being able to "hide" solar/power/water/AC components within the layout.

Thank you for the advice!
Old 02-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Biggest issue is height. Most people can't stand upright if the aisle is down one side of the bus. That's why center aisle is predominant. Stand in a bus and see for your self. Every person is different, and some busses have taller ceilings.

Thank you. I am a towering 5' 1" lol. So I am hoping once I walk through a conversion it will just click.

Do you have any opinion on if the symmterical center aisle offers more storage space or "concealment" abilities for utility components?
Old 02-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconcilingRoamer View Post
I'm quite the shorty at a staggering 5' 1" lol. I'm trying to be as innovative and thoughtful as possible with water tank storage and being able to "hide" solar/power/water/AC components within the layout.

Thank you for the advice!
If you ever have anyone else in the bus they may appreciate the headroom.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If you ever have anyone else in the bus they may appreciate the headroom.
That is very true. I will have to weigh all the options! Thank you for your insight!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
I'm just outside of the upstate in Rock Hill. I've gotten my seats out and put the flooring in, everything else is stock (ceiling, walls, etc).

If you're not too far in the mountains (don't want to test the 545 with mountains just yet) I can ride up and you can see what works for you in terms of aisle location. I've got 72" headroom (the absolute minimum), and at 5' 10" I've set my max aisle location to just under the stock lighting running down the bus, about 1 1/2 feet from the wall. Any closer and I start to hit my head on things.

If you're 5' 1" you won't have any problem with a wall aisle on a low height bus.

While it may be annoying for taller friends/family, wall aisles allow for a much larger rooms (if you decide to go that route) and if not, then much larger open spaces that are not interrupted by thoroughfares.

One thing I'd suggest in the floorplan stage - take a look at trains, specifically passenger trains. They have minimal space as well, and some I've seen have gotten creative with their layouts. Especially the bedrooms and lounges as they have a moderate amount of "reconfiguration" - ie the bed can turn into a chair and table.

Another suggesting is making floorplans out the wazoo. Always nice to have multiple options/references, since Murphy will always make sure something doesn't fit "just" right. Right now I'm likely going to implement a floorplan I had for a TC2000 transit for my dognose.

Dorian Proctor on Sketchup Warehouse has some amazing and accurate sketchup models that I used. You have to scale them down, but once that is done they are nearly 100% accurate in everything - windows, wheel wells, doors, etc.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I started out center, and haven't changed anything....
But I am considering side aisle, because I like the way the kitchen & bathroom finishes out in the designs I've seen. And the rear bathroom wall would make better mounting flat screen.

examples:

Old 02-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminusprime View Post
I'm just outside of the upstate in Rock Hill. I've gotten my seats out and put the flooring in, everything else is stock (ceiling, walls, etc).

If you're not too far in the mountains (don't want to test the 545 with mountains just yet) I can ride up and you can see what works for you in terms of aisle location. I've got 72" headroom (the absolute minimum), and at 5' 10" I've set my max aisle location to just under the stock lighting running down the bus, about 1 1/2 feet from the wall. Any closer and I start to hit my head on things.

If you're 5' 1" you won't have any problem with a wall aisle on a low height bus.

While it may be annoying for taller friends/family, wall aisles allow for a much larger rooms (if you decide to go that route) and if not, then much larger open spaces that are not interrupted by thoroughfares.

One thing I'd suggest in the floorplan stage - take a look at trains, specifically passenger trains. They have minimal space as well, and some I've seen have gotten creative with their layouts. Especially the bedrooms and lounges as they have a moderate amount of "reconfiguration" - ie the bed can turn into a chair and table.

Another suggesting is making floorplans out the wazoo. Always nice to have multiple options/references, since Murphy will always make sure something doesn't fit "just" right. Right now I'm likely going to implement a floorplan I had for a TC2000 transit for my dognose.

Dorian Proctor on Sketchup Warehouse has some amazing and accurate sketchup models that I used. You have to scale them down, but once that is done they are nearly 100% accurate in everything - windows, wheel wells, doors, etc.
You are a gem! Thank you! This was some great info! I am about 2 1/2 hrs from Rock Hill. I'll have to get with you and throw around some ideas! Do you have Instagram or Facebook?