Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Cerebral Flatulence!

Ok, Started looking at all the stuff I would want to take with me (If I had to pack up and leave) and as big as the bus is, there is still not enough room for storage. If ya add a couple kids/grandkids/animals and all thier stuff, it's packed. Even with a roof rack.
I thought - well I'll just pull a trailer behind. This is where the brain fart made it's presence known.
Has any one seen or had the idea of........................
Buy another bus, preferably the same motor/trans/body for extra parts and cut off the front section. Just use the remainder for a tow behind trailer. Paint and skin it the same as the main bus. Maybe set it up with a couple bunks and the rest shelved out for storage, a little workshop, whatever. Even at about 20' long or so, it would provide all the extra space needed. Maybe buy a flatnose, remove drive train, cut middle 20' out, and weld it back together. That would give you both ends finished.
Is this just a brain fart in the wind or could it happen?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Cerebral Flatulence!

Hey Papabear, Do a site search. Duh. Baadpuppy had some of the same thoughts. Sorry, just talking to myself outloud.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Skoolie

How about a compromise? Get a pickup truck and one of those campers that goes on back that can stand alone. When you get to your destination, unhook the truck and drop the camper. Now you have a regular vehicle to drive around in, and a camper for extra space. Use it to store stuff, grandkids, whatever.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65

...then there's my silly idea of taking the same model of bus and making a horse trailer out of it. I'm probably going to end up with a deal like that in one way or another! Check back in a few years and it'll be finished!

In my brain it works out great! My wife and I have 5 kids living with us at home so we need to bus to haul people and we need some kind of trailer to haul our horses and gear. I have access to twin 1986 Ford B700s! I gotta do it because I think I can!

So...nope...baaaadpuppy (Jim), nearhomeless, and I have all talked about similar ideas! Glad to know I'm not the only crazy one!

Ben.
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSkewlHauler
...then there's my silly idea of taking the same model of bus and making a horse trailer out of it. I'm probably going to end up with a deal like that in one way or another! Check back in a few years and it'll be finished!

In my brain it works out great! My wife and I have 5 kids living with us at home so we need to bus to haul people and we need some kind of trailer to haul our horses and gear. I have access to twin 1986 Ford B700s! I gotta do it because I think I can!

So...nope...baaaadpuppy (Jim), nearhomeless, and I have all talked about similar ideas! Glad to know I'm not the only crazy one!

Ben.
In fact we are all a little touched here. I think we are some of God's "special children" I just think it would look cool to have a matching bus trailer also.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

I had the same idea long ago, get another bus for storge, as well as source of parts. I'd want a shorty flatnose. Just have to be careful, 75' total lenght is all that is legal.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckf00t
I had the same idea long ago, get another bus for storge, as well as source of parts. I'd want a shorty flatnose. Just have to be careful, 75' total lenght is all that is legal.
In many parts of the country, particularly in the east, 65' total length is all that is legal.

EDIT: http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
http://www.rvsafely.com/rvroadlaws.htm <-- this one is easier to read.

Seems some states limit you to 60', and maryland even limits you to 55'. yikes!

One thing I'm not sure of is reciprocity. If it's legal for your combined length to be 75' in your state of registration, will a state like maryland write you a ticket for 20' too long?

Frankly, vehicle operation laws in this country are overly obfuscated.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
Quote:
Originally Posted by baadpuppy
One thing I'm not sure of is reciprocity. If it's legal for your combined length to be 75' in your state of registration, will a state like maryland write you a ticket for 20' too long?jim
I think they WILL give you a ticket Jim. I know out west in places "Rocky mountain doubles" and triple trailers are legal but you can't do those on the east coast.

Same with the brakes on trailers laws. No reciprocity there either. If the state you're driving in requires them, you have to have them.
That was my thinking too, and I intended to follow the most restrictive requirement then not think about it again. That was when I thought 65' was the most restrictive.

Now I'm wondering if I need to stay at 55' total length or avoid maryland. But there are states with a 60' limit, and one with 68', and one with 85'. argh!

I'm gonna go with 8'6" wide, 13'5" high, and 65' long max dimensions, and just deal with any problems if they arise.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I agree with the 65' length. I'm cutting 10' off the rear of my bus, with an 8" fold up/removeable deck on the rear. Plan to go a lot of places off road, with less overhang. That drops me to 30'. And then (maybe) build a 20-25" trailer. I should be able to keep within the gvrw's, axle limits, hitch load, height and length. Wheww. Don't really plan on going to far east or to Kalifornia.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
Skoolie

Yep- we abandonded the idea of towing anything. Between towbar and brake laws, too much trouble. So we'll figure out a way to cram ourselves in the bus somehow.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
Skoolie

Yeah we may end up with one yet. The places we want to go a trailer might be a hinderance. I want to get way out in the boonies...
Old 08-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
Skoolie

Exactly what we thought, so we're selling off the 'ol dodge caravan. We are tryin to KISS as much as possible
Old 08-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckf00t
Yeah we may end up with one yet. The places we want to go a trailer might be a hinderance. I want to get way out in the boonies...
That's the way I was thinking "out in the boonies" The day I bought our bus, I took it "four wheeling" since it takes about five minutes to be off road from town. It did pretty well concidering, it's a 40' long bus. After dragging the rear, I decided 10' must come off the rear. I would go with a regular trailer but I would at least have to do an axle/spring swap for ground clearence. I think I would have around $3500.00 to $4000.00 in a trailer to make it the way I want. Or, 1 to 2 thousand for another buss. (with a lot more labor in it) Time vs. money, Just a matter of what I have more of at the moment. Would also like to use a ball/pintle hitch.
I've heard busses would get stuck in wet grass. I do have a set of chains for the bus and plan on more aggressive tread for the rear diggers. Also a 15,000 lb. winch up front and rear. Anybody put winches on their busses? I'm talking on the front of the bus, not in the passenger seat. I want it fairly off road capable and a trailer to match. Anyway, I will be dragg'in something behind me on occasion, just don't know what for now. It might be me at the end of a chain, with the little lady driv'in

Another brain fart. Is there any problems hooking up electric trailer brakes on a trailer with the bus having air brakes?
Sh**, I'm giving myself grief for future problems and hav'nt even got the bus on the road yet.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Thanks, Vanguy