Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B-800
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 55
Certified weight slip

So I'm moving along on the bus conversion. The NJ motor vehicles says that I need a certified weight slip. I never got one, but they won't change the vehicle classification until I do.

How am I supposed to get a certified weight slip if I don't have plates to drive the vehicle TO the weigh station? Everything else has seemed manageable except this. Seems like my options are to either put auto plates on the vehicle (which I'm sure if I get caught by the state troopers with a suspicious brown bus, I'd be in trouble), or I get it towed. Which will require one of the larger tow trucks and probably cost $$$$ .

Any ideas?

I happened to get a complaint from the zoning official about the 'unregistered school bus' and so I'm trying to get the registration moving along.

tomas_maly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Re: Certified weight slip

Not sure how they do it there but in TX we can get a 3 day temp plate from the registration office to do such things. I think its a load of crap but it would be a way to not get pinched by the man. Call your registration office and see what they suggest?
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Up here it's $20 for a 24 hour permit. allows you to move vehicle etc within the provincial borders. no joyriding though! lol
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Skoolie

Temporary registration would be fine except I don't have a CDL. It's a catch-22. You can't drive a school bus, but it can't be considered a motorhome until you (among other things) drive the school bus to a weigh station and get a slip. The public (police-run) weigh stations are few and far between, but I'm hoping I can find a certified weigh somewhere on the backroads within 5 miles so I can take the bus for a drive early in the morning (stealthily) and get it done and over with. Unfortunately I live on a major rural highway and near two state police stations, so I have to be careful.

I asked the dealer I bought the vehicle from if I could pay them for 2 hours to drive the bus to the official weigh station, and am waiting to hear back. I'm also looking to find a private station nearby, but with the holiday weekend, some businesses are closed. There's a truck repair shop down the road that may have an idea.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummings turbo diesel

I had a local CD driver do it for me, it cost me a 6 pack, after the driving. There are a lot of CDLs out there, check at your church, who dirves their bus, Check at the local bus barn, or go to a truck repair shop. Just a thought.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, to liberty, to abundance, to selfishness, to complacency, to apathy, to dependence, and back again to bondage.
kc_4_jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Or just drive it to the scales without the cdl... that is what i would do...
Old 09-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

you still need a CDL when it is out of service and not moving passengers?

I know here you can drive a police car ambulance tow truck etc without the valid class license as long as it isnt for emergency or hire.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Skoolie

I would just be nervous about going to a police-operated weigh station and stepping out of what resembles a school bus. I know of a private station and I can probably take backroads to get there.

The other bind is that I never got a temporary plate (to put on the window), so . I might be able to ask the dealer for it, though, even though I bought it over a month ago. They unfortunately are only open Thursday - Saturday. I don't think the motor vehicles issues temporary tags, and with the questionable vehicle class I think it'd be a headache either way.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Skoolie

Today I was blessed. I got my plates for my bus! Now I can drive it around.

I was in this catch-22 where I couldn't get my title flipped (to a 'motorhome') until I got it weighed, but I couldn't get it weighed without plates. And it being a school bus, I'd need a CDL. Nobody could give me a straight answer how to get the bus to the weigh station. But I went into the DMV and asked if they could issue temporary plates. They said they couldn't, but was more than happy to give me permanent passenger plates (yay!) after I told them the bus no longer looked like a school bus. This is what I did:

1) Bought the school bus from the dealer 1/2 mile down the road. They drove it to my house and I drove the sales guy back.
2) Removed most of the seats (I have room for 6 people + 1 driver, now)
3) Removed the stop sign
4) Removed the emergency flashers (the ones at the top) and fastened sheet metal over the old holes.
5) Removed the safety bar that swings out with everything else.
6) Primed (and painted) the bus a color OTHER than yellow (brown in my case)

I also installed a sink and stove and beds, but I don't think this matters to get plates as a passenger vehicle. It does matter to get the title converted to say 'motorhome' instead of '54-passenger bus'.

7) Went to the DMV and told them I purchased a school bus for personal (motorhome) use, showed them the title, and explained everything I already did (they were specifically interested in the removal of the stop sign, flashers and the color of the bus). At that point they were more than happy to give me normal auto plates. Things will go a lot easier when you eliminate every excuse for them to not help you.

I just listed my auto insurance company/policy, since technically it's a passenger vehicle, even though there is only a technicality on the title. The registration card I got does say 'BUS' on it, but I'm hoping once the title is converted, then I will tell my insurance company that it's a motorhome, not even remotely hinting at it being a bus (other than it being a 'bus chassis', if they ask). I'd just refer back to the title saying 'motorhome' and hope they are satisfied with that.

On top of that, since NJ has had budget cutbacks, the only inspections are emissions, and it being a diesel vehicle means I'm exempt from obligatory safety inspection (other than 'self-inspection').

On Friday I will drive the bus to the weigh station. I've noticed in NJ they are few and far between and tend to be clustered around major highways near state borders or at major rest stops/service centers on the Turnpike, etc.

As soon as I get home I will put the plates on the bus and so then that will get the zoning official off my back for having an unregistered vehicle sitting in my yard. Apparently I'm on some blacklist for not keeping my yard kept up. I never liked grass. Especially not 3/4 acres of grass and weeds and intricate landscaping I'm somehow supposed to mow around. Not when the upkeep is more for the satisfaction of my neighbors than myself.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

AWESOME!!! sometimes it pays to ramble on about what has been changed. that's how i found my stupid 15 passenger (w driver) limit from my DMV!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
Skoolie

Re: Certified weight slip, insurance

I asked the dealer I got my bus from where there are any private certified weigh stations, and he suggested one in Vineland, NJ (Major Petroleum on Main Road). I drove it there today and paid $9. The bus (formerly a 54-seater) currently (with bunks, sink, stove, dinette, etc) weighs 17,000 lbs.

The 'foreign title' department in Trenton is the only place that deals with title alterations, and they said they don't let people come in (sounds like desk jobs in an office). I took pictures of everything done (and the VIN number), included my original title, a $60 check, the weight slip, and a brief letter explaining my intentions, and certified mailed it today.

Even at a point where the title says 'Class A motorhome', I still have the struggle with insurance. Progressive (my auto insurance) has motorhome insurance but on their website specifically say they DO NOT insure school bus conversions whether professionally done or not (apparently a transit/coach bus conversion is okay). They are also a bit extensive with the requirements, ie demanding electrical AND propane AND heat AND a toilet, etc. Which I'm nowhere near. Basically, it needs to be year-round livable. The DMV is less stringent on requirements. I wouldn't mind just not telling them except where there's a point that an accident happens and they see pictures of the vehicle and then don't pay for repairs or drop the policy and dump me with bills because it's a vehicle they don't normally insure. Sigh. I would just prefer a single policy for my car and motorhome. I think I'm going to put this aside until I get my new title.

Anybody in NJ have both their car and skoolie motorhome insured? Who are some of the companies that offer it? Any ones with full coverage (ie interior possessions from damage, etc)? Anyone who has gone through the actual accident process where they haven't bailed out once realizing it's an old school bus?
Old 04-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #12

Coachwork: GMC Bluebird
Hey everyone!
So I'm in the exact situation as tomas_maly was in a few years ago, also in New Jersey lol

I just got back from the mvc and they said they could give me passenger plates as long as I have pictures showing that it doesn't look like a school bus (change yellow paint, remove stop sign, warning lights, stop arm, etc.)

If my bus gets passenger plates, does that mean technically I wont need a cdl?
Under cdl exemptions it says "Operators of recreational vehicles, provided the vehicle is being operated only for personal use".

Im planning on only using my bus for personal use, like road trips so I don't need it to be full rv, with a bathroom and kitchen. So Im pretty sure once I get the passenger plates I'll be fine and won't even have to actually switch it over to an rv.
The only mention of a bus on the title is under body type.

As for registration, when I get the passenger plates will that mean the bus will be registered?

If I have the passenger plates and I don't need a cdl, will I even need to actually get the title switched to rv?
RockerBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
passenger plates? how many passengers? if your leaving it like a bus, then its a bus and you are transporting people. that's commercial. in colorado that would require a class B cdl with a passenger endorsement.

if you convert it to an rv, then you can register and insure it as an rv. that is non commercial or personal use.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
RockerBus, again, check with YOUR state's MVD/DMV/State Police concerning the necessity or not of a CDL.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Rito again Cap. It's getting kind of confusing about which state has what and who does or doesn't need an endorsement. I need an endorsement to drive this bus in Oregon because specifically of the air brakes, and more importantly to travel in Canada with air brakes an air endorsement is required, here also called a class B license. It's likely the same issues would come up with travel down south, way down south.
Luckily I've been told many times by DMV clerks that they don't care how I get it there to be tested. If I can't get it there without getting stopped I shouldn't be asking for the license.

Side note; I finally acquired insurance again. The third policy in the four months since I've had this bus. I'm thinking I should be taking some kind of anti-rejection drugs so this policy will finally stick.
This was none other than the "Progressive Commercial policy for private use." Even the phone people will tell you that it doesn't exist, but it is on their menu. Day before yesterday I was turned down on the phone while trying to get a commercial policy. I had to go to an independent insurance agent that put it together. They took a couple pics of the outside of the bus, a little signing and blood letting and it was done. Now, back to your regular programming.
Anybody in Oregon, Washington or Idaho can utilize this same office to acquire insurance if they are having problems. I don't like that kind of stress.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:52 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas_maly View Post
I asked the dealer I got my bus from where there are any private certified weigh stations, and he suggested one in Vineland, NJ (Major Petroleum on Main Road). I drove it there today and paid $9. The bus (formerly a 54-seater) currently (with bunks, sink, stove, dinette, etc) weighs 17,000 lbs.

The 'foreign title' department in Trenton is the only place that deals with title alterations, and they said they don't let people come in (sounds like desk jobs in an office). I took pictures of everything done (and the VIN number), included my original title, a $60 check, the weight slip, and a brief letter explaining my intentions, and certified mailed it today.

Even at a point where the title says 'Class A motorhome', I still have the struggle with insurance. Progressive (my auto insurance) has motorhome insurance but on their website specifically say they DO NOT insure school bus conversions whether professionally done or not (apparently a transit/coach bus conversion is okay). They are also a bit extensive with the requirements, ie demanding electrical AND propane AND heat AND a toilet, etc. Which I'm nowhere near. Basically, it needs to be year-round livable. The DMV is less stringent on requirements. I wouldn't mind just not telling them except where there's a point that an accident happens and they see pictures of the vehicle and then don't pay for repairs or drop the policy and dump me with bills because it's a vehicle they don't normally insure. Sigh. I would just prefer a single policy for my car and motorhome. I think I'm going to put this aside until I get my new title.

Anybody in NJ have both their car and skoolie motorhome insured? Who are some of the companies that offer it? Any ones with full coverage (ie interior possessions from damage, etc)? Anyone who has gone through the actual accident process where they haven't bailed out once realizing it's an old school bus?
OOOPPSS!! I quoted the wrong user and dont know how to change it.. meant to quote rockerbus..

every state is different.. i wil ltell you that in OHIO.. I did exactly as you did with my LAST bus.. it was set up for under 15 passengers and had a GVWR sticker of less than 26000 lbs.. I simply registered it as a passengr vehicle.. no different than the guy down the street with a 15 passenger club wagon... and I needed NO CDL or anything other than my regular driver license.. I insured it as a Chevrolet TopKick (which is what the chassis was)...

once I did that I could not haul anyone for pay, or for a sanctioned event like for a school or church.. however could haul my friends around as much as I wanted...

it may very well be that NJ will do you the same thing...
in OHIO they go off of the RATED weight not what the bus actually weighs.. so the placard inside the bus.. NJ may be different.. sounds like it is..

NOW my New bus is OVER 26,000 GVWR so if I wanted to register it .. then it would be a bus and id have to get a CDL with NO medical cert needed.. + an air brake endorsement.. HOWEVER in OHIO titling and registering as an RV / Motorhome requires NO CDL and NO endorsements to operate.. OHIO requires a place to eat , sleep, a frig or icebox, and a way to cook food.. from what everyone says, no one gets checked, inspected or dinged as long as you mind your own business and have less than 15 passenger seats in it..

other states are MUCH tougher.. but the point of my post is YES in NJ it may be possible to reigster as a passenger car. . thats how I did my last one...

technically I "COULD" get my current bus reclassified likely lower than 26,000 lbs but there is a LOT of headache and paperwork and inspection into reclassifying a vehicle to a different GVWR...

it sounds like you are doing more like i am.. Not making a tiny home or camper but simply want a bus to use for various personal use tasks.. in my case an electronic "lab" of sorts.. roadtrips, taking my friends to amusement parks, carrying christmas trees at christmas time, etc..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:13 PM   #17

Coachwork: GMC Bluebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

it sounds like you are doing more like i am.. Not making a tiny home or camper but simply want a bus to use for various personal use tasks.. in my case an electronic "lab" of sorts.. roadtrips, taking my friends to amusement parks, carrying christmas trees at christmas time, etc..

-Christopher
Thats exactly what I would be using it for.

I have no problem with taking all the necessary steps to make it a rv in NJ which is to change the color, remove all school bus related equipment, and install a sink, bed/sofa bed, and stove/microwave and then switch the title. They also want a certified weight slip which is what the original post was about.
In his case, it sounds like he was able to drive the bus with the passenger plates to the weigh station without a cdl, so I figure why even go through installing a sink, bed, and microwave when I would technically not have to as I don't need them for my uses. Again, if it must be done, then I have no problem doing installing those things.

As for the title, under GVW/WC/LGTH, it just says 54 which is the number of passengers, so Im not sure of the GVW.
RockerBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:55 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerBus View Post
Under cdl exemptions it says "Operators of recreational vehicles, provided the vehicle is being operated only for personal use".

If I have the passenger plates and I don't need a cdl, will I even need to actually get the title switched to rv?
That's a very grey area, one in which an overly zealous LEO could cause you a world of problems. If you've no problem moving to the next level, and going through the RV conversion, by all means, do it. Considering what the Special Vehicle/Foreign Title Unit requires to be considered an RV conversion is not as onerous as some states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerBus View Post
As for registration, when I get the passenger plates will that mean the bus will be registered?
In a word, yes.

And thanks for the heads up about a scale closer to where I am than Carney's Point Pilot

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:22 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
That's a very grey area, one in which an overly zealous LEO could cause you a world of problems. If you've no problem moving to the next level, and going through the RV conversion, by all means, do it. Considering what the Special Vehicle/Foreign Title Unit requires to be considered an RV conversion is not as onerous as some states.

In a word, yes.

And thanks for the heads up about a scale closer to where I am than Carney's Point Pilot
its a tough one, however the LEO is supposed to honor the registration if its valid and blank (no warrants).. if it will register as a passenger vehicle then thats how I'd do it...

in Ohio taking out seats qualifies for reduction in passenger capacity.. registration goes off of ADULT capacity when it comes to private use.. most school busses have a rated passenger capacity of adults / children.. My bus is actually rated as a 12 + 2 or 14 passenger + driver. . 5 passenger.. but since its GVWR is over the 26,000 limit (I thought that was a federal statute), it has to be registered commercially.. or you can title/ register as an RV as stated..

its darn near impossible to re-classify your GVWR.. as its the manufacturer DESIGN of what weight the vehicle CAN carry... even though you only plan to carry a small amount of weight, the DMV goes on what it coud conceivably carry... and thats stamped on the metal Tag and tied to the VIN...

there are plenty of conventional school busses with less than 26000 lbs GVWR (I looked at a few).. which make it easy if you want to be a passenger car... and in NJ maybe they dont care, but i thought the feds did..

my last bus was under 26k and had 15 or less passenger capacity and the DMV gladly registered it as a passenger car.. I had researched it quite a bit at the time and even higher-ups said they looked at it no differently than a "ford club wagon 15 passenger".. I know ofothers on here that have their busses registered as Vans..

as an RV its kind of like a legal loophole that pretty much in MOST states, obsolves the owner / driver from needing special licenses and training... and also much less expensive registration fees than if you registered as a full commercial vehicle and got a CDL..

every state also has different requirements for an RV.. and as such many police officers have no clue what the RV requirements are... and there are the gray areas that make thigns tougher for police..

example: "sir this is registered as an RV but you have no sink..", 'im sorry officer but I temporarily removed it so i can repair and replace and update and remodel and restore..'.. would it work? maybe and maybe not..

in my experience ive never been bothered by police when im in a bus.. I got told my last bus "sounded great" but "you are leaking water".. by a police officer referring to my somewhat-built 454 Chevy in it... who was surprised when I told him the water was from A/C.. "in a school bus? nice!" was his response...

but I never had people yelling and screaming and hanging out of windows on my bus either.. and I wasnt running down the highway at 85 MPH...

maybe ohio and the states I happen to travel are lenient and dont care? or maybe police just dont care as long as you mind your own business..

admittedly i wasnt in a "border state" either.. I supposed things are scrutinized more near the "southern" borders...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
is your dmv calling the passenger plates "omnibus" passenger plates that start with "O"? its the option of no longer registering as a school bus.

thats flat out commercial. commercial plates, commercial insurance, commercial driver's license.

looks like they are changing the type of commercial registraion from school bus to passenger carrier. a code (17) to a code (54) per the commercial license options.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

again, How many passengers do you plan on carrying? if you are leaving the bus seats in place, its a commercial vehicle.