Old 08-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Champion generator shutting down while driving

I deleted this comment as it was not accurate - Bob H.
Bobholthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: flatnosed
Chassis: amtran/bluebird/thomas
Engine: diesel

DO NOT OVERFILL
small engines use a four prong wheel that flings the oil up into the internal parts that require lube and cooling. If you overfill you will defeat the ability to fling the oil, and you will need a new engine soon.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

a lot of the better motors are oil pressure system, low end ones have the splash system . my old wacker/packer had a briggs motor with the oil splach system,and low oil shut down. if you didnt over fill it a bit(not a whole lot just a bit) it would stop, to much movement.

but you are most right, if you overfill alot the splash system will not work, also you will start bruning oil and have some blue smoke, and smell

gbstewart
Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Okay, new post, I'm still having the problem (I thought it was fixed but it was not). I'll unplug the sensor and try that next. On overfilling, the oil level sits three threads from spilling out the fill hole when full. Unless I had someone fabricate a screw in type extension as mentioned, I can't overfill the unit (I guess I could tip the unit up but that would require me taking the entire rack off the bus, which is a total PITA to do). I will fill it up to the edge of the fill hole, which is just a hair over full (I've been told the dangers of too much oil for years, so I agree with those that are saying not to do it). Anyway, we are using the bus on Saturday, so I'll let you know how it goes with the sensor unplugged, next week. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Good idea to check warm. The owners manual does not mention that, but I am going to try it. Thanks for the tip. Wow, I just googled this and there seems to be a lot of discussion on the best way. Most say that while warm, the oil is covering the engine and you don't get a good reading, which makes sense to me. I think I'll call Champion and ask their techs the best way to check it. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

After seeing this post, I looked in my Polaris RZR owner's manual and it does not specify whether to check it warm or cold. It's a 2010, so in this day and age, I was somewhat surprised not to see any direction on that. As for the dipstick article in PM, I was relieved to see that on the yellow dipstick cap of the generator the words "don't insert" or something like that was embossed into the cap, letting us know not to screw the cap in while checking the oil. EVERY oil cap/dipstick should have that!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

I just talked to Champion's technical service (877-338-0999) and they said that the oil level in the lower case is usually pretty stable because it's a "splash system" and that it does not matter whether its warm or cold (I'm assuming that most of the oil just sits down below and gets splashed up while running, as we've discussed above). He did say NOT to thread the threads in (I didn't ask him, he just offered), which I thought was funny, given our conversations above. So, we're back to square one on what is the best way to check the oil!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I forget what the book says it takes for volume. I would drain the oil, then fill it with the correct amount and then try it. If it still quits, get rid of the low oil sensor. How long did we run engines without them?
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

.6 liters. I just changed it. I'm going to unplug the sensor for tomorrow nights outing. I'll post again on Monday and let everyone know how it went.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

I'm happy to report that my issue went away. Welding the rack to make the generator level and ensuring the proper amount of oil did the trick. No need to unplug the sensor at this point. Until further notice, the case is closed!