Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Red face Changing a Title in FL

Hi everyone! What changes or (additions)need to be made (in Florida) to be able to change the title of an old school bus to an RV on the state of FL?

I've read here and there that if you just add any of the ONE: (gas/water or electricity) that should do it. or is that false.

... or does it have to be all of them or something else. I want to use my bus with all its seats out for personal use (Not commercial) but the insurance was so high.

but for cheaper insurance, is it really worth converting for a bus just being used for crap around the house projects or going to get hay in for the horses I mean really. I am completely turned off by the whole RV "conversion" deal b/c thats not what I am wanting. I DO however plan to put electricity in it for use of tools and an AC while using them. I want to run an outside light to see in dark. So I've got the electricity deal I'm good on that one at least! LOL

???

BigDeb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Most insurance companies won't touch a converted Skoolie in Florida. The company I'm aware of that does is AIS, but they need you to prove it was converted in a professional way, and the conversion needs to be complete.

Most of us work-in-progress types have commercial policies through Progressive.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
All you have to do to change the title is to take the title to the tax office and write out an affidavit saying it has a bed and 110v power outlets. Its free!
Getting someone to insure it is the fun part in FL.
As Brokedown said, you kinda need to do the whole conversion to get RV insurance on a bus in FL. Why most of us get a commercial policy till then.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
All you have to do to change the title is to take the title to the tax office and write out an affidavit saying it has a bed and 110v power outlets. Its free!
As Brokedown said, you kinda need to do the whole conversion to get RV insurance on a bus in FL. Why most of us get a commercial policy till then.
Check with this company

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
HI Guys, I'm kinda confused and I think I get it. So like if I did the title change with the affidavit, what would the title list it as, "RV" ? Then in that case wouldn't they just see that and say like oh you just need RV type insurance and it would be cheaper or does everyone ask for photos or does the title still say school bus I'm confused, I thought the goal or main hassle was to be able to get the title changed, but this sounds easy enough, so sounds like your saying getting someone to believe it is the kicker? =)
Old 02-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeb68 View Post
HI Guys, I'm kinda confused and I think I get it. So like if I did the title change with the affidavit, what would the title list it as, "RV" ? Then in that case wouldn't they just see that and say like oh you just need RV type insurance and it would be cheaper or does everyone ask for photos or does the title still say school bus I'm confused, I thought the goal or main hassle was to be able to get the title changed, but this sounds easy enough, so sounds like your saying getting someone to believe it is the kicker? =)
The title will say "RV", but the insurance companies don't do title searches, they do VIN# searches.

That search will come up with either "Bus" or "Incomplete Chassis", depending on who built it and how they initially registered it. That definition will never change so the insurance company will know they are dealing with an RV that used to be a bus.

This is not necessarily an issue, but they might want pictures that detail the conversion.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Hi everyone! What changes or (additions)need to be made (in Florida) to be able to change the title of an old school bus to an RV on the state of FL?

I've read here and there that if you just add any of the ONE: (gas/water or electricity) that should do it. or is that false.

... or does it have to be all of them or something else. I want to use my bus with all its seats out for personal use (Not commercial) but the insurance was so high.

but for cheaper insurance, is it really worth converting for a bus just being used for crap around the house projects or going to get hay in for the horses I mean really. I am completely turned off by the whole RV "conversion" deal b/c thats not what I am wanting. I DO however plan to put electricity in it for use of tools and an AC while using them. I want to run an outside light to see in dark. So I've got the electricity deal I'm good on that one at least! LOL

???
Here's the link... just to let you know this forum has an amazing search function up towards the top... I just posted this a couple of days ago:
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/fl...ons-21010.html
Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

And I PM'd you the phone number for the Allstate agent
Sandi
Old 02-05-2018, 04:19 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
From Skoolie facebook.... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1
Attached Thumbnails
Fla title.jpg  
Old 02-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Actually, the new title would say MH for motorhome.
A dealer put "van conversion" on Roger's title, but there's no provision in the law I can find for that, just MH.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
And *this* is why I posted it on Facebook... so others could share!
Sandi
aka Wander Woman
Old 02-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Hi, Thank you Sandi and others for that! I will give them a call for sure! Someone PM'd me and suggested I call National General, so I did, they gave me a quote of around 500$ a yr. They stated that it didn't matter if the title says school bus, they do conversions and as long a I could show photos of a "neat conversion" professional conversion, they could help. Photos would include both sides, front, back, inside without any seats, a kitchenette/Cooking type area , bedroom, I can't remember if he said bathroom or not. But as long as it resembles an RV style living environment it would be acceptable and be considered an RV policy. Has anyone had any luck with National General?
Old 02-05-2018, 05:43 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Hi, Thank you Sandi and others for that! I will give them a call for sure! Someone PM'd me and suggested I call National General, so I did, they gave me a quote of around 500$ a yr. They stated that it didn't matter if the title says school bus, they do conversions and as long a I could show photos of a "neat conversion" professional conversion, they could help. Photos would include both sides, front, back, inside without any seats, a kitchenette/Cooking type area , bedroom, I can't remember if he said bathroom or not. But as long as it resembles an RV style living environment it would be acceptable and be considered an RV policy. Has anyone had any luck with National General?
Allstate didn't require any photos, at all. And was 271. a year for me.
Sandi