Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #1
Bus Nut

changing the position of the front door

In looking at some of the floor plans posted here, I've noticed that some of you have sealed up the front door and put the main door somewhere else. Was this done simply out if your preference or was there a practical reason? Safety reason?

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
In looking at some of the floor plans posted here, I've noticed that some of you have sealed up the front door and put the main door somewhere else. Was this done simply out if your preference or was there a practical reason? Safety reason?
Many like the door further back as it leaves a spot for copilot seat. It is how fancy RV's are done. Mine is mid-ship.

Savvy converters use the old stair space to stash the generator- far from sleeping quarters.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Many like the door further back as it leaves a spot for copilot seat. It is how fancy RV's are done. Mine is mid-ship.

Savvy converters use the old stair space to stash the generator- far from sleeping quarters.

I like that idea.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Relocating main enterance

Waking up this old thread.

Has anyone moved their door to the left side of the bus. I am planning on sealing my front entry and using the left side emergency door instead. Is there anything I am not failing to see with this move.

Has anyone done this and is there anything you wish you knew when you contemplated this? I would really like to place my generator far away from the sleeping quarters.

Thanks
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti View Post
Waking up this old thread.

Has anyone moved their door to the left side of the bus. I am planning on sealing my front entry and using the left side emergency door instead. Is there anything I am not failing to see with this move.

Has anyone done this and is there anything you wish you knew when you contemplated this? I would really like to place my generator far away from the sleeping quarters.

Thanks
If the door is in the right place, wrt to the underside, then you would have to build in a step well and extend to door down to the bottom.

There are electric steps that might work without building new ones in, but I haven't looked at them.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
If the door is in the right place, wrt to the underside, then you would have to build in a step well and extend to door down to the bottom.

There are electric steps that might work without building new ones in, but I haven't looked at them.
What I was going to do was but an RV door big enough to fit existing whole then just build a step and be done with it. Or I may be ablentonget a step from an RV Salvage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 54
My back door is warped leaving a reasonably large gap, so I want to insall a 36" wide insulated steel door from home depot that would act as the "front door" going out to a "porch" on the back with fold down steps.
Now I have only recently considered the idea of sealing up the front bus door and doing like mentioned above, passenger seat and generator below...I am wondering about maybe a side door somewhere else and the engineering possibilities of it. Maybe a fold out door/steps similar to small planes/jets?!
nightfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfury View Post
My back door is warped leaving a reasonably large gap, so I want to insall a 36" wide insulated steel door from home depot that would act as the "front door" going out to a "porch" on the back with fold down steps.
Now I have only recently considered the idea of sealing up the front bus door and doing like mentioned above, passenger seat and generator below...I am wondering about maybe a side door somewhere else and the engineering possibilities of it. Maybe a fold out door/steps similar to small planes/jets?!
I will have an exit door from an IC Bus if you want one. It is FREE, you pay shipping. I am in Arkansas.

Are you sure regular home doors will hold up in the long run?seems like the twisting and flexing may be severe on them.

Thanks

Old 11-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #9
Bus Nut

I would fear that any permanent steps in the middle will get destroyed in a low spot very quickly. Attach a 2x2 etc hanging down where the steps would be and test it out to see if it drags.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti View Post
I will have an exit door from an IC Bus if you want one. It is FREE, you pay shipping. I am in Arkansas.

Are you sure regular home doors will hold up in the long run?seems like the twisting and flexing may be severe on them.

Thanks

Appreciate the offer but I want to find some sort of full size solution as I will otherwise be hitting my head a lot and it will drive me nuts lol
I have the "slant back" so I would have to frame something custom for a house door anyway, isn't the planning phase fun
nightfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

I don't see this pointed out elsewhere in the thread, so I'll say it: don't put your main door on the driver's side! You don't want people getting in and out of your bus into traffic. You won't always be at a campsite or in a parking spot; you will be picking up and dropping off at the store or the mall or the restaurant or .......
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
I don't see this pointed out elsewhere in the thread, so I'll say it: don't put your main door on the driver's side! You don't want people getting in and out of your bus into traffic. You won't always be at a campsite or in a parking spot; you will be picking up and dropping off at the store or the mall or the restaurant or .......
That is the only thing that came to my mind. Thanks

Old 11-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Model T's and many early autos only had doors on the curb side for just that reason.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:53 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: FE 3900
Engine: DT466
Left side exit and using a house door. Your thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
I get the exit issues but don't you think 99% of the time those are avoidable. I was thinking on doing this and cutting a space into the floor to allow for inside steps to get down to the level of the front door. That would make the step down the same.

AND what're the opinions on using a house door to fit in the doorway? I see busses that have gone this route. Do they hold up? I think a big PRO is that they are better insulated for those that plan to winter in their skoolie.
Daledorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:33 AM   #15

Hey everyone I’m curious if anyone ended up following thru with moving their front door or installing a normal door on the bus period.
Captain_Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:55 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
midship door

I moved the door to midship because we have our king size bed up front so climbing over it to get in and out would be a pain. Also my sweety gets car sick and has to always watch the road so she needed a seat up front. Fold down step takes care of clearance problems. We use the rear as a garage where we can haul motorcycles, bicycles, canoe, all the drunks you can haul (26 people on one trip)and anything else we can fit through the door. Just converted my bike to a trike and used an aftermarket kit specifically because of it's narrow width to fit through the rear doors (59"). 3000# lift gate to load "stuff". We use the "garage" as an eating and clothes changing area when the large stuff is out of the way, gives you a nice 180 degree view when back there like we did at Skooliepalooza. Had some cut throat scrabble games going on back there too.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02163.jpg   DSC02101.jpg   DSC02903.jpg   DSC02899.jpg  
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote