Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,571
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Cheap Bus Tool Kit

Saw this going at a Harbor Freight sale. Basic cheap kit to keep on the bus, $29

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ct...513389463.html


Speaking of tool boxes, how many keep a dedicated bus tool box?
I've been holding back revealing my latest project. I don't know how many of you know I do custom powder coating for a business. I have 7 of these vintage tool boxes in the shop and decided to set one up for the bus. I picked one up and a light went off in my brain right away. Do you see what I see? First one who guesses gets one at a discount if they want. I plan on doing a number of them.
What do you see?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toolbox.jpg (5.1 KB, 160 views)
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
2kool4skool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Spring Valley AZ
Posts: 1,270
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Have one about that size and use it for the step up into the bed. Double duty.
__________________
Don, Mary and Spooky the cat.
2kool4skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 933
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Not big enough to hold an air gun,sockets accessories for tire changing?
Most socket sets don't fit unless you take them out of there case and use the little bars to store them?
Any of my un bus related stuff fits in several of those boxes and another multi drawer box which does hold a few bus things
For what you just showed. If the boxes are loaded and ready to hit the road for a mechanics job the they are going to fail and dump your mess on the ground.
Put a bolt or pad lock through the hasp to keep it tight and forget the latches.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:37 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,571
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
Not big enough to hold an air gun,sockets accessories for tire changing?
Most socket sets don't fit unless you take them out of there case and use the little bars to store them?
Any of my un bus related stuff fits in several of those boxes and another multi drawer box which does hold a few bus things
For what you just showed. If the boxes are loaded and ready to hit the road for a mechanics job the they are going to fail and dump your mess on the ground.
Put a bolt or pad lock through the hasp to keep it tight and forget the latches.
Look up the definition of "basic"
I didn't say I was going to store it freely on top of the fridge. Come on, use some common sense.i kept tool boxes in my race car tow vehicle for decades, can't remember any of them falling or opening from latch failure.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:41 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 933
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I forgot to say regardless of brand.
Any hand carry box is only rated for x-pounds? Mine are abused!
Weight wise.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 933
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Look up the definition of "basic"
I didn't say I was going to store it freely on top of the fridge. Come on, use some common sense.i kept tool boxes in my race car tow vehicle for decades, can't remember any of them falling or opening from latch failure.
There seams to be a failure of coomunication here?
You asked what problem you saw with that tool box?
I don't know you are your preference so I only stated mine
The basics you referenced was never in your (what do you think of this basic tool box)post and I never said you were putting it on top of your fridge?
The basics is that I was sAying that if any hand carried tool box was overloaded with tool weight that the closures would fail? But a bolt or padlock In the hasp would help.
Guess I didn't win the free tool box cause I got the answer wrong?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,571
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
There seams to be a failure of coomunication here?
You asked what problem you saw with that tool box?
The basics you referenced was never in your post and I never said you were putting it on top of your fridge?
The basics is that I was sAying that if any hand carried tool box was overloaded with tool weight that the closures would fail? But a bolt or padlock In the hasp would help.
Guess I didn't win the free tool box cause I got the answer wrong?
The failure is your comprehension of what I actually posted.
Go read the first line, I believe "basic" is there.
Where did I mention a "problem"?
Since when did "discount" mean "free"?
Where did I say I would overload the weight capacity of the tool box?
Why would you assume I would store my tool box where it could fall?

The question was is "What do you see when looking at the box posted?"
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:09 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Okay.

This is already not fun anymore.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,571
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Okay.

This is already not fun anymore.
Yup,JR ruined it.

No guesses Twigg?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 933
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Basic isn't there?
You did not say you would overload the weight capacity? I said that in response to your question of what do you think?
I DONT SEE WHAT YOU SEE ?
I just stated my observation of a tool box?
I know how I abuse them but I don't know how you use them?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 12,251
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I definitely keep a dedicated tool set for my bus.. I move it from one bus to the other.. at one time I had some tools dedicated to erach bus. but now that I dont have 2 hojes anymore the busses are both at the same plasce when I go on a trip so I grab the good tool set and put it in the bus im taking..

I could only wish I had a real rugged tool box.. I have a POS plastic harbor freight tool box that is already cracking after less than 2 years..

I have a nice vintage toolbox in my garage.. doesnt look as nice as that!!! the one in my garage is well-used!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #12
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 933
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
What is wrong with the powder coating on your tool old tool box?
Guessed wrong?
Sorry.
Hate it for the others that guess at your question of what do you see?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Jdawgsfanasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Saw this going at a Harbor Freight sale. Basic cheap kit to keep on the bus, $29

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ct...513389463.html


Speaking of tool boxes, how many keep a dedicated bus tool box?
I've been holding back revealing my latest project. I don't know how many of you know I do custom powder coating for a business. I have 7 of these vintage tool boxes in the shop and decided to set one up for the bus. I picked one up and a light went off in my brain right away. Do you see what I see? First one who guesses gets one at a discount if they want. I plan on doing a number of them.
What do you see?
Dent in lid?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:41 PM   #14
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 12,251
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
not sure what im looking for .. but I do see one heck of a solid toolbox... lockable and with a handle that wont break... and with a real logo thaty wasnt just a sticker.. cant wait till ytou start selling these... id be happy to put one of those in my bus!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,571
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
Basic isn't there?
You did not say you would overload the weight capacity? I said that in response to your question of what do you think?
I DONT SEE WHAT YOU SEE ?
I just stated my observation of a tool box?
I know how I abuse them but I don't know how you use them?
Dude, please send me some of what you're smoking, it's obviously good stuff.
"Basic cheap kit to keep on the bus, $29" is in the top line of the post.
You were the one that brought up over loading and clasps failing and spilling tools all over.
You can't respond to my question of "what do you THINK" because I never said it.
I didn't ask if you see what I see, I just asked"what do you see?"
The link to the HF tool kit had nothing to do with the rest of the post about the Craftsman tool box.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #16
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,571
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Okay, I'll make this easy, because it's not fun anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flat frontshorty.jpg (9.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg toolbox.jpg (5.1 KB, 67 views)
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 12,251
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Okay, I'll make this easy, because it's not fun anymore.
cool stuff..!! i was having fun, sorry if you werent!.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #18
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 495,270,340,9,7,28,66
Posts: 93
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 65?
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Okay, I'll make this easy, because it's not fun anymore.
Ha I win! or I would have. I was about to say my bus is my tool box!
Stuntmanmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #19
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,571
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntmanmitch View Post
Ha I win! or I would have. I was about to say my bus is my tool box!
Close, my tool box will be a school bus. I can custom coat these tool boxes to any scheme. Done a number of boxes in the past and when I looked at my stack of boxes it immediately jumped into my skoolie mind that it is the exact shape of a flat front bus. I'll coat the lid white, the body school bus yellow and leave a contrasting color in the lower inch of the box so I can add wheels to the side. Black vinyl for all the windows and stripes,etc. Taillights,headlights,school lights. if anyone is interested when I get this one done and decide what I have to charge i can coat them in the scheme and color of your personal bus so they are matching.
Mitch, since you were close, I'll give you half a discount, what ever that might be
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #20
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 12,251
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Close, my tool box will be a school bus. I can custom coat these tool boxes to any scheme. Done a number of boxes in the past and when I looked at my stack of boxes it immediately jumped into my skoolie mind that it is the exact shape of a flat front bus. I'll coat the lid white, the body school bus yellow and leave a contrasting color in the lower inch of the box so I can add wheels to the side. Black vinyl for all the windows and stripes,etc. Taillights,headlights,school lights. if anyone is interested when I get this one done and decide what I have to charge i can coat them in the scheme and color of your personal bus so they are matching.
Mitch, since you were close, I'll give you half a discount, what ever that might be
now I **REALLY** want this!!! thats gonna rock!!
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×