Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Cheap Power Inverters

I'm not sure if anyone else out there is in the market for power inverters right now or if they are interested in a cheaper model than a Xantrex or similar high end unit, but I just score two 750 watt RMS Vector inverters on ebay for $80.88 shipped. The reason they are so cheap claims the seller is that they are mislabeled from the factory as 700 watt units when they are in fact the new VEC062 inverters. I'm sure there are more out there if you are interested. Even if they are only 700 watts, they are brand new and that is a GREAT price.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
Bus Nut

I'd be intrested in these invertors... do you have a link to the sellers ebay page?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:22 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
He has even more now than before

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AMT%3A41
Old 02-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
Bus Nut

I just ordered one too, thanks for the link
Old 02-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
Bus Nut

go to http://www.sierratradingpost.com
they have 700watt vector inverters on closeout for $39.95
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:58 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I did not notice it saying if it was a modified sine wave or ture sine wave. I suspect at that price and the brand it is not a true sine wave.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
Bus Geek

These are modified sine wave inverters as the ad on eBay stated. I got mine today and tried them out with my TV just to make sure there wouldn't be any problems there. They worked flawlessly...no square screen, snow, or other problems. I haven't tried it yet with my audio equipment, but my very old 175 watt Vector inverter worked fine with audio stuff. On top of that, the audio equipment will all be 12 volt anyway so I'm not worried.

They're not the best inverters out there of course. They don't have a built in charger and I don't know that they will hold up like the high end inverters, but I can aford to replace these . For those that purchased these inverters...my paypal cleared on Feb. 24th and I got the inverters on March 2nd so shipping is plenty fast.

I think there are still some available for anyone that is interested. Aside from running a laser printer, I think these would be fine for anyone with basic skoolie power needs
Old 03-03-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I got mine today and tried them out with my TV just to make sure there wouldn't be any problems there. They worked flawlessly...no square screen, snow, or other problems. I haven't tried it yet with my audio equipment, but my very old 175 watt Vector inverter worked fine with audio stuff. On top of that, the audio equipment will all be 12 volt anyway so I'm not worried.
I just got mine today & was wondering, how did you hook yours up? Did you just use the small battery post spring loaded clamps that came with it or did you cut those off and bolt them to the battery terminals?

I ran my 110V wire (that goes inside to the outlets & stuff) through the floor & into the battery box, so my battery and male end for the electrical are only a few inches apart. I was thinking of hooking directly to the battery but my friend says I should run wires up to my electoral access panel & tap in there, what do you guys think? My batteries are too week to run while parked for more than a few min, so I will be using the inverter while driving down the road 90% of the time.

Oh also was your inverter all beat up? Mine was; there’s gouges all over the metal housing & the plastic nuts that hold the cables on it are all chewed up like someone used pliers on them... I hope it works ok.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Mine were in fine shape aside from one of the fuse covers being broken. This is obviously a non-issue. If I were you, I'd take it up with the seller. I hate to think I referred you to someone bad. On the plus side, inverters are not generally a show piece and if they were, you'd send them out to get chromed anyway

In all seriousness, email the seller and ask for an explanation....

As for hooking them up...to test them I just used the 8 gauge wire and clamps that came with it because I had a small load. However, the inverter is likely to draw close to 90 amps at full load and 8 gauge really is not sufficient for this IMHO. On top of that, the clamps are only rated for 50 amps, but are the factory unit.....go figure. My plan is to run a similar setup to car audio systems. I will run a 1/0 supply line from the battery up to a distribution block in the inverter compartment and then run a 4 gauge power lead to each inverter. Grounded will be done in a similar method. While chassis grounding is more ideal in some situations, I think in a high load setting like this with the batteries not running things like an ECU and in a well ventilated placement, I think running a ground directly to them like a person would in other high draw situations such as a plow or winch on a truck.

The way these will tap into my 120 lines in the bus is rather simple and hardly elegant. It certainly is not the most user friendly method or erhaps safest, but is more than sufficient for my needs and the price is right.

I will run a 20 amp supply from the outside of the bus to 3 (6 plugs total) GFCI outlets. The outside supply could be hooked to shore power, a genset, etc. These outlets will be in my inverter compartment. All the circuits from the bus (6 total for lights, outlets, etc) will have simple plugs on the end of them with labels. This way I can plug in all of the circuits to the inverters or the shore power supply or any combination of the two that I feel is necessary. As I am the only person who will likely ever have their hands in this compartment I'm not too worried about it. I know the GFCI outlets will do little to protect against overload, but there won't be an overload situation in the bus other than perhaps a short in which case the GFCI will of course trip. When plugged into the inverters there will be no breaker persay on the circuit, but the inverter will shut down at a roughly 7 amp load due to overloading making it hardly an issue.

I wish I could be more descriptive. Any comments on this layout will be appreciated
Old 03-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
Bus Geek

you can have them shipped to the ups facility and go pick them up in person next time.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #11
Bus Nut

I hooked mine up & it works fine, so I'm not worried about the physical damage.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #12

inverters

Thanks for the line. I've oredered one too. Should be here Mon. Cant wait to get started on my wiring. Will begin that Sunday. Going to run a 220 plug to 4- 20amp breakers. From there to four duplex outlets. From the outlets, 2 are going to 10 gauge extension cords for the AC, and my Ref/Microwave. The other 2 are going to power the lights on either side of the bus. 12 Gauge cords will be used for these. I'm also planning to build a rear deck which will house a 3500W generator. The plan is to use the 220 plug whenever at an rv friendly camp. When dry camping or running down the road, I'll unplug the 2 appliance cords from their outlets and run them to a dedicated line running to the generator. the other 2 lines (for the lights, etc.) will go to my inverter, which I'll have attached to 2 100AH marine batteries. Should work for me well enough. Look forward to getting started. Will post pix as able. GBYA
majjecc is offline   Reply With Quote