Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 AM   #11
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: GMC
Engine: LPG 366 GM 5spd manual
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Chevrolet/GMC ignition retarder/govenor

The 366 is a technically a big block as it shares the same stroke/engine design of the other GM other big block engines. So I am not worried about 3700 rpm too much. Cruising on the highway 3300rmp would put the bus at 73% of it's redline, where 3700 puts it at 82%. 4000 is a tad high for my liking at 89% of maximum engine rpm.

Fuel economy to me isn't an issue, it will cost what it will cost to get me there My time/safety is worth more than the $50 more it might cost me on a trip.

That being said...

I have decided just to make a toggle switch that can connect the wires if I really have to bump the rpm, but in the meantime I am now convinced that my power issue was more tune-up related than top-end rpm related.

EdsonBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #12
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800
Rated Cap: 36

Doesn't anyone have an idea what the photo I posted is? Can anyone help with my 1996 intl. shortbus? Thanks.
__________________ ... Green+Bus/
Keep on Keeping on.
odyssess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #13
Year: 1978
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: c/60
Engine: 366 tall deck
Rated Cap: 66

Most chevy tall deck electronic rpm limiters were set at 3800 or 4000 rpm. If you turn the engine beyond that, you can risk the valves kissing the pistons on deceleration or going down hills. A bus mechanic told me about the only way to destroy a tall deck is to try to push a higher rpm than what it was intended.

The governor on the carb is entirely a different device. Holley told me the function of this is.... is to provide fine control of the vacuum secondaries. That is, finer control than is already offered by the normal vacuum secondary diaphram. I interpreted this as meaning the secondaries would not open more than necessary to achieve best torque under load. Therefore, I would not try to "improve" this part of the carb by modifying it. It is already probably helping you achieve best torque.

If you unplug the rpm limiter, I would install a tach. And dont exceed 4000 rpm, esp. going down big hills. Use a lower gear.

My bus is geared to reach 58 max top speed at 3800 rpm. That is fast enuf, especially towing a car.
"Govern wisely, and as little as possible"
Sam Houston, liberator of Texas
Bamboo Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote