Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #1

City bus?

Has anyone thought about or attempted to convert a city transit bus into an RV? I've found one for a decent price, and I was wondering what thoughts you had.

fraseraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

City buses have a lot going for them, chief among them being they have really high ceilings.

The down side to high ceilings is there is virtually no space under the floor for any storage or tankage. One has to become very creative in creating space for tanks, plumbing, and all of the other stuff that is usually hung underneath a skoolie or in a luggage bay on a motorcoach.

Another down side is most city buses are not geared to go highway speeds. On newer T-drive layouts the options are not quite as restrictive as the older V-drive layouts.

A real plus is most city buses that have been built in the last 30 years have been 102" wide instead of 96" wide like all school buses.

With such low ground clearance city buses are not the best choice if your favorite spots to go are off the beaten track and off pavement.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Someone on here, I forgot the name, has a BEAUTIFUL Gillig transit bus fully converted. Looks like IKEA made it or something.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Someone on here, I forgot the name, has a BEAUTIFUL Gillig transit bus fully converted. Looks like IKEA made it or something.
You might be thinking of LuckyChow's bus.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
You might be thinking of LuckyChow's bus.
'tis the one!
A REAL BEAUTY OF A BUS!
Old 02-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #6
Almost There

I've heard inter city buses make great conversions. There are a couple bus companies here that have routes which go to several cities. Namely between Salem and Portland, which is a 54mi drive. Sandy to Portland is a 42mi drive. So it really depends on which route the bus was on, which determines the motor and how it was maintained. Given that transit companies pick specific buses for specific routes.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

City buses are for the most part route buses that stay in town.

Suburban buses are for the most part route buses that go from way out past the suburbs to downtown.

City buses will generally have higher numerical rear gears for better take offs and lower top speeds.

Suburban buses will generally have lower numerical rear gears for better top speeds since many of them will have routes with long stretches of sustained highway speeds.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
Almost There

Just sucks that this https://spokane.craigslist.org/rvs/4839075105.html can't be registered as an RV.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:48 AM   #9
Bus Geek

I have an acquaintance who bought an articulated bus. They aren't as rare as that ad suggests.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraseraj View Post
Has anyone thought about or attempted to convert a city transit bus into an RV? I've found one for a decent price, and I was wondering what thoughts you had.
Done all the time. You need to wander over to BNO and what you are referring to is called an RTS. We looked at an RTS in Maryville. David said it drove/rode beautifully. The problem is they are made for highways so low slung (even lower than a highway coach). They are not usually made to get out and run at top speed, although some do. I strongly suggest you ask your questions at BNO. There are several converted RTS buses there. They are also more upscale than skoolies tend to be. Although I have seen a few skoolies that rival some highway coaches.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote